Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2018, 10:13 PM

11,021 posts, read 5,976,518 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rensational View Post
I definitely think one person tends to care more than the other, and it's usually the woman who cares more, from all the relationships I see as an observer. And that's what seems to work best in relationships. The woman tends to have no idea she cares more, even though it's pretty obvious to me, and they excuse it by saying what you mentioned--or some form of it--i.e. that the man shows he cares differently. In relationships where the man cares more, it seems like this almost never works out. It just seems like it bothers women when the man is the one who is more affectionate, more verbal about his feelings, wanting to spend more time together, etc. Again, this seems to be something most women don't realize.

This has been my observation too and my has been own experience.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2018, 07:11 AM

11,395 posts, read 24,441,486 times
I think we’re fairly balanced, caringwise. He’s more the silent type and I’m often amazed when he shows the depth of his feelings.

Old 06-27-2018, 07:57 AM

972 posts, read 541,861 times
First, there's the problem of accurately measuring how much another person cares. Individuals have their own way of caring and expressing that care.

Old 06-27-2018, 01:48 PM

82 posts, read 78,835 times
Yes this is true. I believe in every relationship there is always one partner who cares or loves the other partner more than that person really cares about them. The only time I have seen two people who are equal in their love for each other is in the movies and we all know what an accurate portrayal of real life that is...

Old 06-27-2018, 02:12 PM

20,364 posts, read 14,636,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rensational View Post
I definitely think one person tends to care more than the other, and it's usually the woman who cares more, from all the relationships I see as an observer. And that's what seems to work best in relationships. The woman tends to have no idea she cares more, even though it's pretty obvious to me, and they excuse it by saying what you mentioned--or some form of it--i.e. that the man shows he cares differently. In relationships where the man cares more, it seems like this almost never works out. It just seems like it bothers women when the man is the one who is more affectionate, more verbal about his feelings, wanting to spend more time together, etc. Again, this seems to be something most women don't realize.

I'm a lesbian, and I have always been the one who cares more. I realize it, have pretty much always realized it, and I hate it tremendously. It's just horrible to not have someone care about and love you the way you care about/love them. It's one reason why I might never date again--I just do not want another relationship that's like that, and I'm not sure how to not have one that's like that without playing games, i.e. intentionally holding back. I want life-changing, transcendent emotion coming from both of us and the ability to be completely honest and showy about my feelings, and it just seems like most women don't like/appreciate this the way TV and movies would have you believe.
In my lifetime relationship statistics, I have fallen in love or experienced passionate feelings intensely, for 6 men and 1 woman. People who have fallen for me like that: 14, all male. There were additional others where no one did. And only one who overlaps both categories where we are both very in love at the same time (we're still together.)

And I still believe that one mostly worked out, because we did what you describe which I always thought of as "playing games" too, we didn't grab that tiger by the tail and go plummeting fast into the bonfire. We behaved lovingly to each other, but by the point, months in, where I finally really caught the feels for him, he was there with me. The time, taking it slow, really seemed to help. But I was guarding my heart somewhat. When we first got together, I was of the opinion that I didn't want "committed" relationships, I was trying to keep people at some distance. I feel like maybe it just took time for my walls to come down, because I'd been through a lot of bad stuff. I was scared to feel too much. Tired of hurting.

Old 06-27-2018, 02:16 PM

20,726 posts, read 16,352,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wordsmith12 View Post
I've heard and read that generally there's always one person who cares more in and about the relationship than the other. In fact, I once saw a romcom in which someone said that the person who cares the least has the most power, presumably because they're less afraid to walk.

Do you agree, or do you think that people simply have different ways of showing they care -- some more conspicuous than others?
Yes...of course - technically, things are never equal. But they may be equal enough that it doesn't really matter in practical terms.

And yes, the person who cares less has the power - for one thing, they are either satisfied with the status quo and feel no need to change to meet their partner's needs or desires....or they care less and are freer to move on to someone else. It's an economics perspective like when you're bargaining with someone - if you don't mind walking away then you've got the power.

Old 06-29-2018, 09:24 PM

1,058 posts, read 675,615 times
I think it is cyclic. There have been times where I have cared more and then others where he has cared more.

Old 06-30-2018, 09:14 AM

378 posts, read 229,981 times
One person caring more than the other just seems off to me when it comes to long term relationships. FWBs or casually dating okay. The mutual caring might not be there since you're either not that serious or still getting to know each other. If both parties involved decide to go long term, I would think caring would be mutual and reciprocal by that point. I mean why get into a long term deal if the caring and love is unrequited? I know there's no way to read the other person's mind to see exactly how they feel about you and it takes a heck of a lot faith when it comes to these things, but it just seems... stupid.

Stupid to not know what you're signing up for.
Stupid to be involved with someone who isn't as invested as you are.
Stupid to care about someone who doesn't give a crap about you.

As for people having different ways of showing that they care, it wouldn't hurt to figure those out before someone is left bitter or heartbroken.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships