Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2018, 12:43 PM

30 posts, read 13,969 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
OP, sounds like you are having an emotional affair with your fellow female workplace person.

Emotional affairs are cheating, dangerous to marriages, often deeply hurt one's spouse, are not recommended because it causes divided loyalties, and often leads to a physical relationship.

A good loyal marriage partner doesn't have emotional affairs with other women, or a very special woman.

Wise spouses steer clear of this. It is often very hurtful to one's spouse and jeopardizes one's marriage.

Emotional affairs at work or with a person from work often lead to the demise of the marriage(s). You're also not supposed to elevate another woman to the same emotional closeness and level of emotional intimacy that one has with one's spouse.
I understand how it could be perceived that I am having an emotional affair, but that is not the case. True I have feelings for her, but I am not acting on those feelings. She is not at the level of my wife or elevated nowhere near my wife. I am sure if I allowed that to happen, it would happen... but I refuse to allow that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2018, 12:51 PM

22,278 posts, read 21,728,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoolAsIce View Post
I understand how it could be perceived that I am having an emotional affair, but that is not the case. True I have feelings for her, but I am not acting on those feelings. She is not at the level of my wife or elevated nowhere near my wife. I am sure if I allowed that to happen, it would happen... but I refuse to allow that.
What you describe is the very definition of an emotional affair. If you acted on those feelings, it would be a physical affair. Understand now?

Old 06-28-2018, 12:52 PM

569 posts, read 440,340 times
Quote:
That's the thing. I think you are confused about the fact that what you are having is in fact an emotional affair.

Read this and think about it:
"Even if you are married or in a committed romantic relationship, you still need to have other relationships in your life. Usually, these relationships are with friends or co-workers. It's possible to be friends with another person without crossing the line into something more.

However, if you think about this person throughout the day, deliberately change your routine to connect with this person, begin fantasizing about what life would be like with them, and begin comparing this person with your spouse, you are crossing a line.

These connections can sometimes evolve into what is commonly known as an emotional affair.

Just because your situation isn’t physical, doesn’t mean that what you are doing is right. An emotional affair can have just as big of an impact on your committed relationship as a physical one.

Once you cross the line from friendship or co-worker into something more, it’s difficult to repair the damage that your spouse and other family members will suffer due to your behavior.

How Emotional Affairs are Different
While you may think of an affair as involving a physical relationship or clandestinely meeting in hotel rooms out of town, emotional affairs are often conducted right out in the open with little to no physical contact between the people involved.

Often people who are tangled up in an emotional affair convince themselves that since there is no sex involved, they’re not doing anything wrong. The important thing they’re denying is that what they are doing is still breaching the trust of the person they are in a committed relationship with.

What are some of the signs that you may be involved in an emotional affair? And if you want to save your committed relationship, how do you stop having an emotional affair?

Here are some of signs that indicate you may be involved in an emotional affair.

Making Excuses or Rationalizing the Relationship

Are you constantly having to defend your relationship with this person? Have you been the victim of rumors or snide remarks concerning your relationship with them?

If you find yourself constantly telling coworkers, friends or acquaintances that you two are “just friends” or that you’re “not dating each other, we’re both happily married” then it may be time to reevaluate what type of relationship you’re having with this person.

Altering Your Schedule

You’re suddenly making excuses to spend more time with this person, whether in person, online or over the phone.

Maybe a weekly water cooler talk with a co-worker turned into coffee breaks and eventually became daily lunches. Now you both hang out at local restaurant after work.

Or you now stay up late so you can spend time texting an old friend from high school after your spouse has gone asleep. You are more active on social media, so you can see what they are up to.
If you would rather invest time in communicating and being with this person, it takes away from the time you need to spend in maintaining the relationship with your spouse and other family members.

Feeling Guilty or Ashamed

This is one of the most obvious signs that you have taken a relationship too far and strayed into emotional affair territory. When you go watch a game at the local bar with friends or get up early to go to Sunday brunch with your pals, you don’t feel guilty, because you aren’t doing anything wrong.

If you feel even a little bit guilty or uncomfortable about spending time or communicating with this person, then that should tell you something about the nature of your relationship. If you don’t want your mate to see or hear your interactions, then you are violating the trust your mate has in you.

When a person is truly just a friend, there is no need to hide what you are doing or feel guilty or ashamed of the relationship. If you can’t tell friends or family where you are going or what you are doing with someone, you should question what type of relationship you are having with this person.

Comparing Your Spouse

Living with another person isn’t always easy, and sometimes our mate’s habits or actions can irritate us. But there is a big difference between occasionally venting to a friend about the things your spouse does that drives you crazy and disrespecting or putting down your spouse.

If you are constantly talking with this person about how much you dislike your spouse and secretly--or not so secretly--thinking that your friend is a better person, you might be engaged in an emotional affair.

Wondering or Fantasizing What Life Would be Like

The nature of any affair can make them seem romantic and exciting. The fleeting moments together, the private jokes, the bond with this person that seems to be missingwith your spouse is such a change from the boring day to day issues of your marriage! You begin to wonder what it would be like to spend more time with this person--possibly fantasizing about things like going on long vacations together, living with or being married to them.

Affairs and fantasies provide an escape from reality. Relationships take work, work that is often hard and tedious, but if you love your spouse and want to make your marriage work, then you have to be willing to do both the tedious and exciting stuff in your marriage.

Withdrawing From Your Spouse
If you have little to no interest in your spouse--either physically or emotionally--and are turning to another person instead, you are putting your marriage in jeopardy. If this person knows more about what is going on in your life than your partner does, that’s a big warning sign.

It’s easy to rationalize an emotional affair by thinking that you have a special connection with this person and that your spouse doesn’t understand you. Withholding information about your life from your spouse only drives a wedge between the two of you.

Rather than spending your energy on this other person, think about putting effort in reconnecting with your spouse.

What Should you do Next?
No affair happens in a vacuum.

Whether you decide to let your partner know you’ve become involved emotionally with someone else--although your spouse probably has figured out that something is wrong--is up for debate. But it is clearly a sign that you need to work on your partnership.

Whether or not you decide to let your spouse know about your emotional affair, you do need to let your partner know that your marriage needs work. You might be surprised to find that your spouse feels the same way.

Long-term relationship can become ‘comfortable’ after a few years, and some people find themselves wishing for the rush of excitement and attraction they felt when the relationship was new.

You and your spouse need to work together to make this happen. It may involve counseling, workshops, or just spending a few long weekends together with only each other, you will both have to decide what works best for you as a couple.

How to end an Emotional Affair
An affair is an easy way out because it usually takes less effort to seek passion and intensity outside of a relationship than working to bring back those feelings to an already existing one.

The important thing to remember is that even if you decided to break off things with your current partner, getting into a relationship with your crush won’t make things suddenly perfect in your life. All relationships have problems and many of us tend to repeat the same relationship patterns over again.
If you decide to stick it out in your current relationship, there are some steps that you can take to end your emotional affair.

Accept Responsibility

The first step to ending an emotional affair is to take responsibility.

You need to be honest with yourself and admit that what you have been doing is an affair, even if nothing happened physically. What you did was still a violation of the trust between you and your partner.You also need to accept responsibility for your actions. You can’t put all the blame on your spouse or the person you became involved with. You chose to let things cross the line, even if some part of you didn’t want to.

It’s also important that you are dedicated to truly ending this affair and working on your marriage.

Cut off all Contact
You’re not going to be able to go back to being friends, no matter how much you think that’s possible.

The best course of action is to cut off ties completely. Talk to this person and explain the guilt and fear you are experiencing.

Be clear that the relationship is going to end and that you are going to concentrate on your relationship with your partner. Let them know that you do not want any contact with them.

If the person is a co-worker, things can be a bit more complicated, especially when it comes to contact, but there are steps you can take.

Most businesses have policies concerning co-workers being in relationships, especially if one is in a supervisory position over the other one. It’s important to remember that both of you could be fired or one of you could be charged with sexual harassment.

Even if your company does allow some kinds of relationships between co-workers, most company cultures frown on extra-marital affairs.You still want to have as little contact with this person as possible.

It may be in your best interest to see if you can transfer to another department or office location, or even start looking for another job.

This may seem like a radical step, but take your spouse into consideration, especially if they know about the situation.

Is it really going to restore their trust in you if they know you are still around this person all the time? How would you feel in their situation? You may have to decide which is more important--your current job or your spouse?

Unfriend your crush on social media. Erase their information from your phone. Delete their email address. No texting or calling. If they contact you, ignore them.

Why is cutting off contact important? Because seeing or communicating with this person on a regular basis will only tempt you to start up a relationship with them again.

Allow Time to Grieve
This may seem like strange advice, but think about it--we all get used to having someone in our lives.

That’s why ending a relationship is so difficult--even when it was the right thing to do for everyone involved. The relationship you were involved in wasn’t right, but it was still a part of your life that you had grown used to.

It may seem counter-intuitive, but that is another reason why cutting off all contact is important. You will only remain stuck and unable to get over the relationship if you are still involved with the person. Your spouse may also be grieving--although in a different way. Your relationship will be changed and the rules will be different. Your partner will have to mourn the old relationship and work with you to develop a new one.

Make a List...or Three
You might want to try to make a physical list of things that you didn’t like about the other person or the affair. Write down everything you can remember.

Would this person be someone you would have truly hung out with or were you just thrown together a lot? Was your emotional affair with your high school sweetheart a real relationship or was it all about nostalgia and a temporary escape from your current situation? Were they really the person you thought they were or were you projecting your fantasy on them?

Put together a list of the bad things you felt about the affair and the possible consequences of continuing it. Were you guilty and ashamed? Did you have to sneak around and lie?

Write down some of the consequences be if you continued the situation Would you lose your job? Hurt your children? Disappoint your family? Become the subject of gossip? Make your spouse suffer emotionally?

Make a list of positive things about your spouse and your relationship--even if you are recalling things that happened awhile ago.

These lists can help you when you’re thinking too much about your former lover--which is likely to happen. Go over this list whenever you feel the temptation to contact the person or are feeling lonely. It will also help you focus on your relationship with your partner and why you decided it was worth saving.

Determine What Problems Caused the Affair
You wouldn’t have had a intimate connection with your coworker or friend if there wasn’t issues in your primary relationship. Unless you address these problems, the chance of the situation happening again someone else--or the same person--are liable to happen again.

Address the emotional and communication question in your real relationship. Do you really love your partner? What was the reason you embarked on the affair? What changes do you think your committed relationship needs? What can the both of you do to change the way things are now and make it better?

Concentrate on Restoring Your Marriage
A relationship needs love and understanding to grow and succeed, and the way to do this is through genuine effort.

Involve your partner more in your life. Confide in them and listen to their problems. Let them know what you need out of the relationship--sexually, emotionally and intellectually.

Part of the appeal of an affair is the excitement. What can you do to bring more excitement into your committed relationship? Learn something new together? Should you plan a couples weekend? Maybe go somewhere neither one of you has been before? Find activities and ideas that works for both of you."

Old 06-28-2018, 12:58 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,944,601 times
Quote:
but I refuse to allow that.
Too late.

Remember your other thread, when you were trying to get advice on how to date her, BEFORE you divulged that you were both married?

Quote:
Okay, this may sound weird but it is what it is. I became real cool with a female co-worker who works in a completely different department than myself. I can't even tell how we became so cool with each other, but it happened so naturally that I feel like we've known each other for years upon years.

When we're around one another we always have a great time. I am talking good communication, laughter and everything. We truly enjoy each other's company. When we're together just talking and she walks away her eyes linger much longer than necessary.

We've been out alone on lunch and our time together has been amazing! We are so carefree around each other that it is really refreshing. When she sees me her face beams with excitement.

Check this out, at my job sales rep's have certain numbers that's associated with their name to distinguish what customers belong to specific sales reps. For the past 2 weeks and counting I've been seeing her sales rep code multiple times a day. It is so strange.

I've heard of kindred spirits or soul mates and all of that, but I've never bought into that.

Could it be that we're meant to be with each other?
Quote:
You are correct that I should invite her to a date in the evening. I do have her number and we'd shared texts already, so the next step would be to hang out on a weekend day and see what happens. I guess my hesitation is that I really want to make sure she's thinking/feeling the same as I am before taking that step.
Quote:
Sydney, thanks for the advice. I will always be myself. We're going out to lunch this Thursday and I refuse to be aggressive with my approach. She's a sweet girl, who is attractive, educated, independent and is insanely fun to be around. I will not force anything with her. So far the natural chemistry we have has been working.

Old 06-28-2018, 01:08 PM

30 posts, read 13,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post
... which is exactly why you have to severely limit your contact with her. Absolutely essential work-related questions only.

Do not fool yourself into thinking you can still hang out "as friends."

Return your attention to your wife.
You are correct and right. I need to limit my contact with her, which is why as of next week it will be a month since we actually physically saw each other.

Here's an email we share back and forth (omitting some words obviously like names and email addresses). Please tell me if this email reads like there are some undertones of interest in the area of more than just friends:

Sent: Friday, June 15, 2018 8:25 AM
To: xxxxxx <xxxxxx@xxxxxxxx.com>
Subject: 11:30 Lunch?

Good morning,

Can you do lunch at 11:30AM?

Sent: Friday, June 15, 2018 8:34 AM
To: xxxxxxxxx <xxxxxx@xxxxxxxxx .com>
Subject: RE: 11:30 Lunch?

I can’t … actually with xxxx out today I am holding down the fort… we may need to postpone

Would next Thursday be ok???

Sent: Friday, June 15, 2018 8:49 AM
To: xxxxxxxxx <xxxxx@xxxxxxxxx.com>

Ouch really?! Well let me know for sure if we need to postpone… and if so, Thursday next week is cool.

I do miss you, so waiting another week would sting a bit, but it is what it is.

Sent: Friday, June 15, 2018 11:27 AM

Hey xxxx

Ok yea lets do next Thursday please!! Sorry
Just have to catch up on some things…

Sent: Friday, June 15, 2018 11:34 AM

Alright girl. Like I said it is what it is. Good thing I’m very understanding, but you need to make this up to me.

Sent: Friday, June 15, 2018 11:36 AM

Thank you, sorry!!!

Old 06-28-2018, 01:11 PM

Quote:
You are correct and right. I need to limit my contact with her, which is why as of next week it will be a month since we actually physically saw each other.

Here's an email we share back and forth (omitting some words obviously like names and email addresses). Please tell me if this email reads like there are some undertones of interest in the area of more than just friends:

Sent: Friday, June 15, 2018 8:25 AM
To: xxxxxx <xxxxxx@xxxxxxxx.com>
Subject: 11:30 Lunch?

Good morning,

Can you do lunch at 11:30AM?

Sent: Friday, June 15, 2018 8:34 AM
To: xxxxxxxxx <xxxxxx@xxxxxxxxx .com>

I can’t … actually with xxxx out today I am holding down the fort… we may need to postpone

Would next Thursday be ok???

Sent: Friday, June 15, 2018 8:49 AM

Ouch really?! Well let me know for sure if we need to postpone… and if so, Thursday next week is cool.

I do miss you, so waiting another week would sting a bit, but it is what it is.

Sent: Friday, June 15, 2018 11:27 AM

Hey xxxx

Ok yea lets do next Thursday please!! Sorry
Just have to catch up on some things…

Sent: Friday, June 15, 2018 11:34 AM

Alright girl. Like I said it is what it is. Good thing I’m very understanding, but you need to make this up to me.

Sent: Friday, June 15, 2018 11:36 AM

Thank you, sorry!!!
It sounds like YOU are flirting like hell. Dude, you need to check yourself.

Old 06-28-2018, 01:13 PM

129 posts, read 101,829 times
I believe that we are all genetically designed to seek out mates and friendship between men and women can turn into more real quick. Sometimes all it takes is a few drinks or a fight with your spouse. My first fiancée of 5 years cheated on me with a male friend in her band. The girlfriend after her cheated on me with a male friend she had at work. My wife had no male friends and I had no female friends. We are married 46 wonderful years. We have no rules about this. We just both do not want to give the other any reason to worry or place ourselves in situations where our inhibitions and judgement may be impaired.

When emotions come into play, humans make bad choices. Most Psychologist and Therapist will tell you that should you and your wife want a threesome, not to do so with a friend because that existing emotional relationships can easily turn into love or lust. With social media it is worst because your online opposite gender friend is always going to take your side on any matter and you end up going to them and pouring out your emotions to them because they will side with you. Then you feel love and game over.

I have enough real life examples among our siblings, relatives and friends to know that when spouses go out without their mates and form friendships with other men, trouble will follow. That is what happened to my sister, sister-in-law, four best friends and a few co-workers. I have learned to not trust even your best friends or spouse when it comes to sex. I used to be naïve and lost two women I loved as a result. Some women actually want you to be jealous to show that you think that they are desirable enough for other men to want. I met a few like that who got mad at me because I did not get jealous.

I believe that when it comes to men and women, a healthy dose of mistrust is a good thing. Nothing crazy but just a healthy amount of mistrust like if your husband says he is working late, check it out once in a while. If your wife says that she is staying with a girlfriend, check it out. My wife and I allow each other to track our iPhones so we know where the phones are at least. We always respond to each other's calls and texts if only to say I am too busy and will get back to you later. That lets us know that they are where their phones are showing to be like at a supermarket and not some house on the other side of town.

You may think I am strict and watch my wife like a hawk but the truth is that we don't because there never is a reason to.

Old 06-28-2018, 01:23 PM

569 posts, read 440,340 times
That other thread and the email exchange above make it even more clear that you do not want to break off contact with this lady. While you claim to love your wife, how do you think she would feel if she came on City Data and read what you wrote? I can tell you from experience that seeing the stuff you wrote in both these threads and that email would be as hurtful to her as knowing you had made the affair physical.

You have all these posts about your feelings about a woman at work, how great she is, and how much chemistry there is between the two of you but have no commentary about your wife except that you love her? You may love her but you're not showing it right now. You may love her as a person but based on your posts, you've fallen or are in the process of falling into love with someone else. You can either stop the emotional affair you are having and work on falling back in love with your wife or continue with the affair and let the chips fall where they may.

Sorry to be harsh but you need to be realistic about what is happening. If it is still not clear to you, I urge you to seek individual counseling to get some help with understanding where you are and where you want to go with your life. If you are done with your marriage, be done with it. Don't string your wife along while you figure out what happens with your friend from work.

Old 06-28-2018, 01:30 PM

And PLEASE tell me you aren't using work email and/or work servers to send these emails.

Old 06-28-2018, 01:31 PM

22,278 posts, read 21,728,906 times
Wait a minute. So that first post about her, and how attracted you are to her, completely failed to mention that both of you are married??? How easy the lying and withholding has become for you. Scary.

Dude. This is so, so, so wrong. You have crossed a line in your marriage that will be difficult to come back from emotionally.

Do you have kids? Their dad is cheating and damaging the family.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships