Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-30-2018, 02:00 PM

52,263 posts, read 52,686,640 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComeCloser View Post
What extremists people are. You don't have to be a stalker to randomly ask someone out. It's not a prerequisite, but thinking so might be a by-product of the bad effect OLD has had on society.

A man asked me out randomly on the sidewalk one day. He married me and we were together for decades.

Creepers? Don't creepers get invited to social gatherings too? Don't they hang out online too? OMG! I bet at some point in their lives they could be found in hospitals, churches and elementary schools too!!

I guess creepers are everywhere. Everybody forget about dating and love please. You might meet a creep, lol.
Are you kidding here?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2018, 02:04 PM

4,004 posts, read 2,082,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
Are you kidding here?
What would make you think so?

Old 06-30-2018, 02:10 PM

52,263 posts, read 52,686,640 times
Quote:
What would make you think so?
You took the creeper comment so far from the intent and what was posted it just threw me off is all.

Old 06-30-2018, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
You took the creeper comment so far from the intent and what was posted it just threw me off is all.

Really? I had no idea that my personal experience, coupled with the reality that predators can be found everywhere would throw anyone off.

If a primary concern is safety, then a young person cannot trust anyone or any venue. Common sense dictates that the person who has the best opportunity to hurt us is the person we trust. Its kind of why when a married person is found murdered, one of the first suspects is their spouse.

Why would anyone think meeting someone OLD style would be safer than meeting someone on the sidewalk in their community? I would think if anything is preferable when meeting someone I don't know, it would be in person. At least then, I can pick up a creepy vibe if one is genuinely there. I don't have to give them my name, phone number, and possibly my address before I get a chance to pick up said creepy vibe.

Old 06-30-2018, 03:14 PM

12,229 posts, read 21,505,594 times
It happened to me plenty of times before I got my engagement (then wedding) ring. I was still pretty young when I got engaged (24), so I enjoyed the "protection" the ring gave me from random strangers. At 40, I'm sure it would happen a whole lot less often!

I don't think it's always a bad idea though, if you're making small talk with somebody and there's a rapport, go ahead and ask.

Old 06-30-2018, 03:26 PM

11,795 posts, read 12,033,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
But you have to know enough about the person to gauge if they're worth getting to know. It's a bit simplistic to think you could walk up cold to a stranger and say, "Hi, I like the way you look. Will you go out with me?" and have that be successful most of the time.
Seriously.

A cold approach doesn't tell you anything about whether the person is in a relationship, married, not looking to date, gay, doesn't speak your language, their dad just died, they are a few bricks short of a load, etc. Even a bit of small talk should be able to tell you if there is something there to pursue. Simply looking at a person tells you nothing about them other than you like what you see on the surface.

Old 06-30-2018, 03:33 PM

What is it about a photo of someone (could be from 10 years ago, you don't know) and a typed profile that makes the choice of which direction to swipe in any more intimate or profoundly knowledgeable?

Old 06-30-2018, 03:58 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,876,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ312 View Post
I have items in my basket and it looks like I'm shopping. I buy things. It's not like I'm just roaming around.

Bottom line is that the grocery store is a less saturated venue. Almost every single male does site/app dating at some point. Almost every single male does bar visits. Fewer single males are out approaching women in non-bar and non-app venues, so that's a way to differentiate oneself.

Nothing is creepy. I'm guessing you are not approached much in non-bar venues.
Next up you’ll be hanging outside Victoria’s Secret - since it isn’t a saturated place.

Old 06-30-2018, 08:35 PM

3,926 posts, read 2,035,856 times
Quote:
What extremists people are. You don't have to be a stalker to randomly ask someone out. It's not a prerequisite, but thinking so might be a by-product of the bad effect OLD has had on society.

A man asked me out randomly on the sidewalk one day. He married me and we were together for decades.

Creepers? Don't creepers get invited to social gatherings too? Don't they hang out online too? OMG! I bet at some point in their lives they could be found in hospitals, churches and elementary schools too!!

I guess creepers are everywhere. Everybody forget about dating and love please. You might meet a creep, lol.
He's only a creep if she isn't attracted.lol

Old 06-30-2018, 08:50 PM

3,926 posts, read 2,035,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
Next up you’ll be hanging outside Victoria’s Secret - since it isn’t a saturated place.
Aw man, why didn't I think of that?!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships