Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2018, 02:09 PM

7,400 posts, read 6,369,217 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
What is the male to female ratio in San Jose?
I mean, why wouldn't there be more males in Silicon Valley area, considering it is the tech hub and draws a lot of STEM into the area, which is heavily dominated by men.

In other words, water is wet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2018, 03:40 PM

10,216 posts, read 8,305,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComeCloser View Post
What extremists people are. You don't have to be a stalker to randomly ask someone out. It's not a prerequisite, but thinking so might be a by-product of the bad effect OLD has had on society.

A man asked me out randomly on the sidewalk one day. He married me and we were together for decades.

Creepers? Don't creepers get invited to social gatherings too? Don't they hang out online too? OMG! I bet at some point in their lives they could be found in hospitals, churches and elementary schools too!!

I guess creepers are everywhere. Everybody forget about dating and love please. You might meet a creep, lol.
I swear any attempt to be friendly towards a woman nowadays is deemed as creepy.

"Oh my god! That guy asked to get to know me better! What a f**king creep!"

Insert eye roll here ()

Old 07-01-2018, 04:28 PM

9,301 posts, read 8,346,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 49ersfan27 View Post
I swear any attempt to be friendly towards a woman nowadays is deemed as creepy.

"Oh my god! That guy asked to get to know me better! What a f**king creep!"

Insert eye roll here ()
"He said Hi?!

STALKER!!!"

Old 07-01-2018, 05:07 PM

52,253 posts, read 52,668,250 times
Evidently reading comprehension here is lacking a bit

Old 07-01-2018, 05:39 PM

10,216 posts, read 8,305,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJenkins602 View Post
"He said Hi?!

STALKER!!!"

What's even more funny is these same types of women would say a man has no balls if he doesn't talk to her.

Maybe he can sense your bad, toxic personality, that's why he doesn't want to approach you.

Seriously can't win with some people nowadays.

There's my rant for the day.. I'm done now.

Old 07-01-2018, 05:51 PM

2,587 posts, read 1,595,227 times
I know that when I was was younger, driving a London taxi, it was like being a kid in a candy store.
Attractive women were getting in and out all day long, but I was worldly wise enough to just nod sagely when they said, “The Frog and Nightgown pub pleaseâ€, or, “ Southsides, Tower Bridge Road, please.â€
Every now and again, a young woman would get in, and initiate a conversation, giving me a fluorescent green light, and if they were really attractive, I’d innocently suggest meeting for coffee, or a glass of wine sometime, IF, and only IF, they were happy to do so.
I guess that this would qualify them as having been invited out when having just met someone.

Old 07-01-2018, 06:04 PM

30,902 posts, read 32,998,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metaphysique View Post
I mean, why wouldn't there be more males in Silicon Valley area, considering it is the tech hub and draws a lot of STEM into the area, which is heavily dominated by men.

In other words, water is wet.
The poster claimed it is the same M/F ratio as in China. I was curious about the number.

I know that overall across the U.S. the number is nearly equal until after I believe 65, at which time women start outnumber men. I don't know where in the U.S. it actually compares.to China. Maybe in Alaska?

Old 07-02-2018, 12:39 PM

219 posts, read 157,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by New Horizons View Post
When you women are out and about in daily life, you might have men make small talk with you in the grocery line or wherever. Do these men ever make the bold move of asking you out on a date or getting your phone number? If yes, how often does this happen?

I've never done such a thing myself, but I always wanted to try it just to see what happens That is of course if I sensed that she liked me.
Yes, this has happened to me several times over the years. The first time was when I was in college (and on a date, no less), a guy slipped me a piece of folded paper with his phone number on it. It takes some serious nerve to do such a thing when a girl's obviously on a date and not just out with a friend.

In the post-colllege years, this has happened at the laundromat (ended up dating this guy for several months, in fact), the auto parts store, the bookstore, at work (not coworkers),on various forms of public transit and the bus stop (still very good friends a man I met at a stop twenty years ago) and yes, at the grocery store. The oddest one was when a man and I made small talk at a local market. Turns out, the man was the accountant for the place where I was employed. I was married at the time, so that was a no-go.

The places that I am approached most regularly these days are the grocery store, the greenhouse, the airport when I'm traveling, and at any hardware/home improvement store/lumberyard. I thought that this sort of thing would happen less often as I grew older, but I was mistaken.

Give it a shot sometimes and see what happens, O.P. The worst that could happen is that she says no or doesn't call you.

Last edited by Twenty Years in the Burgh; 07-02-2018 at 01:31 PM..

Old 07-02-2018, 01:24 PM

219 posts, read 157,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by New Horizons View Post
We'll I don't want to see anybody get rattled in this topic. Then I'd feel like a troll who started a fire.

My basic question was answered. That is, is it sociably acceptable to talk to a woman in public? And, assuming you all are really clicking, is it acceptable to ask for an email or number.

Naturally there are many variables that would determine how successful you (the man) are at said pickup attempt.

I have a good feeling about this though. I'm not even worried about getting shot down by a woman anymore. Time to play hardball now.
Offer your number and other contact information rather than asking for hers.

Personally, I'm not someone who is willing to give out her number to a unknown man and I know that many other women feel the same way. When I have a man's number after he's initiated contact in a public place, it puts the proverbial ball back in my court and makes me feel more comfortable with the idea of meeting up with him for coffee or a date if I'm actually interested (and wasn't simply making casual, friendly conversation with a stranger at the store).

Also, some men don't handle rejection well and having them give me their number instead of me declining to give them mine is a protective mechanism.

Old 07-02-2018, 01:33 PM

6,885 posts, read 7,889,113 times
I've only had super creepy guys ask me out immediately. I'm not a stunning beauty by any stretch. I'm a nice girl next door type. I'm 50 now so I doubt my opinion counts for much.

I'm not sure how I would respond if a seemingly 'normal' guy just picked me up in a grocery store. But if I were at a party with friends, or in some kind of social context like a meet up activity where there was built in time to get to know someone, I would definitely consider it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships