Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2018, 08:48 AM

20,758 posts, read 19,964,416 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Horizons View Post
When you women are out and about in daily life, you might have men make small talk with you in the grocery line or wherever. Do these men ever make the bold move of asking you out on a date or getting your phone number? If yes, how often does this happen?

I've never done such a thing myself, but I always wanted to try it just to see what happens That is of course if I sensed that she liked me.
90% of the guys who ask me out or for my number like you mentioned or just make small talk are guys I have no interest in and I did not give signals to. They are usually 20 years older than me or look homeless or are extremely unattractive. Those are the bold guys who get rejected so often they don't care about one more time while the better looking guys are too scared of rejection.

I very, very rarely have an okay looking single guy make small talk with me and then ... he just lets me go and I think WTH did you not ask for my number?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2018, 09:21 AM

10,216 posts, read 8,304,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinivanDriver View Post
Well, randomly asking some poor woman in the grocery store or the gym is typically a bad move. 99.9% of the time, she just wants to go about her business and go home.

The key here is chemistry. If there's a conversation and chemistry, why not? When I was single, I had a conversation with a bookstore with a woman that led to our dating for three months before she moved.
Yeah I agree. I personally haven't approached any woman in public for months.

Definitely won't do it in the store or anywhere else.

Old 06-28-2018, 09:39 AM

4,739 posts, read 10,438,277 times
I've asked out people I've met who were walking on the sidewalk. One was during a snowfall - I threw a snowball at her - the girl later asked if I had a "rig" (for shooting up) - um, no. I've also had some surprisingly good dates from asking out strangers.

However - I do not ask out service people with whom I'm doing business - ever.

Old 06-28-2018, 09:44 AM

4,042 posts, read 2,710,507 times
Yes, it has happened to me a few times - both being asked out and asked for my number. I don't mind it and I've given my number out. One never knows what could happen!

Old 06-28-2018, 09:45 AM

16,961 posts, read 17,337,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinivanDriver View Post
Well, randomly asking some poor woman in the grocery store or the gym is typically a bad move. 99.9% of the time, she just wants to go about her business and go home.

The key here is chemistry. If there's a conversation and chemistry, why not? When I was single, I had a conversation with a bookstore with a woman that led to our dating for three months before she moved.
Well, you gotta breaks some eggs to make an omelette. Cant develop any type of chemistry if one doesn't engage in a conversation. Whether it be in a grocery store or bookstore. really makes no difference to me. I mean, whats the worse that can happen? Bruised ego's?

Old 06-28-2018, 10:06 AM

2,233 posts, read 2,403,693 times
Yes.. sometimes it's nice and normal guys, but many other times it's total creepers. A couple years ago, some Italian guy just randomly introduced himself to me at a grocery store.. I told him my name too because I always tend to be polite. He tried to ask me out, but I said I was already in a relationship.. He said he didn't see a wedding ring on my finger and wondered if he would still have a chance.. lol some are just too aggressive.

Old 06-28-2018, 10:24 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,248,333 times
I don't get this thread. I've dated a number of women where we met once at the ski resort. One of them was on the chairlift with a mutual friend. We skied together for the rest of the day. Another was apres ski at a bar-restaurant. One was just talking in the base lodge. I had a midweek date from hell with someone I met spring skiing in the parking lot. She later married one of my ski resort house mates and I was in the wedding party. I don't get how this could possibly be a big deal? You meet someone. You hit it off. You communicate that you'd like to see them again. A simple yes/no answer and I'm not going to be crushed if they decide they're not interested. Before internet dating, that was pretty normal.

Old 06-28-2018, 10:31 AM

8,923 posts, read 7,719,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
I don't get this thread. I've dated a number of women where we met once at the ski resort. One of them was on the chairlift with a mutual friend. We skied together for the rest of the day. Another was apres ski at a bar-restaurant. One was just talking in the base lodge. I had a midweek date from hell with someone I met spring skiing in the parking lot. She later married one of my ski resort house mates and I was in the wedding party. I don't get how this could possibly be a big deal? You meet someone. You hit it off. You communicate that you'd like to see them again. A simple yes/no answer and I'm not going to be crushed if they decide they're not interested. Before internet dating, that was pretty normal.
I think a lot of people who are frustrated don't seem to understand how chemistry and attraction works. It seems they think it's timeline based or superficially based. Neither of those things are natural, so it doesn't automatically guarantee a connection. Most connections and relationships happen out of the blue. It cannot be forced or conjured.

Last edited by Auraliea; 06-28-2018 at 10:46 AM..

Old 06-28-2018, 10:44 AM

41,937 posts, read 36,951,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auraliea View Post
I think what a lot of people who are frustrated don't seem to understand how chemistry and attraction works. It seems they think it's timeline based or superficially based. Neither of those things are natural, so it doesn't automatically guarantee a connection. Most connections and relationships happen out of the blue. It cannot be forced or conjured.

True. You never know when it may happen. You could have casual conversations with dozens of people out and about in a month and asking someone out would never cross your mind, then boom, some chemistry and a person you would never have looked twice at from a picture or across the room and you're giving them your number or getting theirs. It's just the way it all works.

Old 06-28-2018, 10:54 AM

3,852 posts, read 4,152,194 times
Yes, plenty of times, especially in my 20s and early 30s. Now I'm older and married, so no.

Men should still do this. Unfortunately, the advent of social media seems to have torpedoed the cold approach.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships