Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2018, 10:19 AM

13,262 posts, read 8,027,035 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
So you feel you're too good for every woman within a 250 mile radius?

I can't even imagine why you can't get a date. Ah well, another CD-R mystery.

I don't get that vibe from him at all. I can sympathize with him, and if I were in his shoes (and way back in the day, I was doing OLD too) I was looking for someone who seemed to have a personality...someone who had a life going on. Someone...something that wasn't generic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2018, 10:27 AM
RJ_ RJ_ started this thread

743 posts, read 392,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
You’re suppose to think this is a dating app and not everyone thinks they need to write a big bio.

No one is going to poor their soul out in front of complete strangers, too many creeps. Matter of fact, a boss or colleague might also come across their profile so it’s best to keep it short and simple.

That’s where the dating comes in. You date them to really get to know them and not the dating profile app version of them.
Much of this doesn't make sense to me. Why are you calling it an app? It's a website, not an app. Also, I'm not looking for anyone to pour their soul out in front of the masses. I'm looking for a thoughtful bit of insight into what makes that person unique.

I would never go on a date with a person simply based on what their profile says. I need to chat with them a little bit first and gauge where they are on an intellectual level, as well as personality. I think the same thing is true of real life introductions.

Old 06-29-2018, 10:31 AM

3,926 posts, read 2,035,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ_ View Post
They're all the same. Seriously. Here's what pretty much every profile says: "Hi. I'm just a super down to earth person. I'm adventurous and love to travel. My family is super important to me. I'm looking for a guy who has an awesome sense of humor and knows how to treat a lady."

That's it. That's sums up 99% of the dating profiles on match.com.. It's like a million clones. Don't any of these people have anything even remotely interesting to say about themselves? You'd think if you're going to spend money promoting yourself you'd do it in a less generic fashion.

And these pictures with like cat noses and ears and whiskers. What's that about?

The chat conversations are not going well either. It's like they're all trying so hard to convince me how happy they are and how great their life is. Like, what do you need me for then? I just don't get it. This whole online dating thing has me frazzled.

I'm so out of the loop with this stuff.

I can't view the guy's profiles but I wonder if it's the same with them.
Yep, it's either the vanilla, repetitive descriptions of themselves all the time, which I had gotten used to just scanning over the fluff to look for significant items. If it's all the same, I still contact them to see what they are like in a correspondence, but they typically rarely responded anyhow.

Then there are those that sound like they are pissed off at the world, constantly ranting at men IN their profile. Save that for anonymous message boards there, missy. LOL

They get ticked off at men who didn't apparently closely read her profile to see if they were a good match.

Or, on POF, in the description it says, "Ask" or if they put in some extra effort...."Ask me" and that's it. LOL

Old 06-29-2018, 10:33 AM

This is why I create a introductory template to copy and paste at least an introductory paragraph for the initial I send out...don't worry, it's not ALL copy/paste...I will add on to the paragraph my own thing that corresponds to the particular hobbies, beliefs, etc. IN their profile.

That way it doesn't look ALL copy/paste when I send it to them. ;-)

Old 06-29-2018, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisTown123 View Post

Or, on POF, in the description it says, "Ask" or if they put in some extra effort...."Ask me" and that's it. LOL
I translate this sort of profile as "I'm too lazy to write anything about myself. I'll let my ravishing looks do the talking."

Old 06-29-2018, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metaphysique View Post
Oh, it certainly mattered to me, and the men I took interest in and dated. An intriguing and engaging profile did a lot to pique my curiosity and interest, which often led to initiating contact. If the profile didn't draw me in -- no interest, no date.
Let's say their initial email to you was far more descriptive and interesting than their ordinary profile, would you then be interested?

Old 06-29-2018, 10:38 AM

Quote:
I translate this sort of profile as "I'm too lazy to write anything about myself. I'll let my ravishing looks do the talking."
Yeah and these profiles are on an uprise. It's crazy. These are the kind of people that belong on Tinder.

Old 06-29-2018, 10:57 AM

651 posts, read 407,884 times
Quote:
They're all the same. Seriously. Here's what pretty much every profile says: "Hi. I'm just a super down to earth person. I'm adventurous and love to travel. My family is super important to me. I'm looking for a guy who has an awesome sense of humor and knows how to treat a lady."

That's it. That's sums up 99% of the dating profiles on match.com.. It's like a million clones. Don't any of these people have anything even remotely interesting to say about themselves? You'd think if you're going to spend money promoting yourself you'd do it in a less generic fashion.

And these pictures with like cat noses and ears and whiskers. What's that about?

The chat conversations are not going well either. It's like they're all trying so hard to convince me how happy they are and how great their life is. Like, what do you need me for then? I just don't get it. This whole online dating thing has me frazzled.

This is 100% my experience with this stuff. Its almost like everyone is getting "schooled" on how to write their profiles so as to come off as happy and more desirable to others. I have a problem with this for a couple of reasons. First, the result of that is, like you said, a total lack of individuality and sincerity. Second, I actually find it unattractive. I dont need a girl who has so much going on in their life that they cant possibly fit anyone else in it. If they are so content with their life as it is, between friends, family and pets, then I dont think I would want to be a part of that.

I appreciate people who are honest about what they feel and I'd like to find a woman that actually wants to be with a MAN, not just another puppy. But nowadays, women are way too deep in Facebook and snapchats when they get a break from their busy, fulfilling lifestyles. But hey, sex toys can only get us so far, right? Life without love and personal touch is nothing but a surrogate. Something to keep in mind

Old 06-29-2018, 11:02 AM

20,764 posts, read 19,972,298 times
Quote:

I'll rather have the generic ones than the crazies or the ones writing poems or novels. Nothing wrong with a clone. Meet the person and find out yourself how they are. Nothing wrong with NORMAL.

If they would complain about how sad and lonely they are and really NEED someone, would that turn you on more?

I don't get the profiles who tell everyon how BUSY they are, always on the go. Don't have time for anything, work hard, so many hobbies, never time, always in a rush ... but here I am, wanting to date. HUH? No thanks. If you are so busy, don't date.

I wrote to a guy and he answered he is super busy, so many things to take care of, work wise and has his kids but he is trying to SQUEEZE me in. No thanks. If you have so little time, please do not date. I don't need a guy who is always stressed and barely has time for me.

Old 06-29-2018, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
I'll rather have the generic ones than the crazies or the ones writing poems or novels. Nothing wrong with a clone. Meet the person and find out yourself how they are. Nothing wrong with NORMAL.

If they would complain about how sad and lonely they are and really NEED someone, would that turn you on more?

I don't get the profiles who tell everyon how BUSY they are, always on the go. Don't have time for anything, work hard, so many hobbies, never time, always in a rush ... but here I am, wanting to date. HUH? No thanks. If you are so busy, don't date.

I wrote to a guy and he answered he is super busy, so many things to take care of, work wise and has his kids but he is trying to SQUEEZE me in. No thanks. If you have so little time, please do not date. I don't need a guy who is always stressed and barely has time for me.
First paragraph: So you're suggesting I need to pick between generic and crazy? I don't think so.

Second paragraph: I don't require anyone to tell me they need someone, I'm just looking for a little honesty.

Third paragraph: I agree

Fourth paragraph: 100% agreed. I don't want to be squeezed into someone's life, like a piece of luggage you throw in the backseat. I'm not an accessory. Why can't people realize that, if they truly want a partner in life, they may be required to make some real changes? Why do people just expect to pull a partner off a shelf and plug them into their life? Is this really how we see people these days?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships