Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2018, 02:16 PM
RJ_ RJ_ started this thread

743 posts, read 392,538 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
Well then you should probably stop, and look for dates some other way. This doesn't sound like it's for you. It's just not working out.
I'm not ready to give up yet. It's really only been around 3 weeks since I started OLD. I think what I'll do is try a couple other dating sites. Do you have any recommendations? I'm 46.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2018, 02:29 PM

1,063 posts, read 696,886 times
In my latest experiment with online dating profiles about 90% in the NYC area are inactive or fake/scammer/bots.

I think the era of online dating sites ended 10 years ago.

Old 06-29-2018, 03:05 PM

7,400 posts, read 6,370,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisTown123 View Post
My response to your thread, Meta...may kind of spin off into something between just you and I. lol Considering we roll in the geek circles.

If your'e a man of a certain age, it's hard to find a woman of a certain age, say...past 30, that won't consider you a "man child" for liking this kind of stuff. If they ARE into his kind of stuff, they are married or in a serious relationship...or are college-aged kids...some not even drinking age.

Though I would enjoy the convention after parties, I don't think I could meet a single 30-something there wasn't without a romantic counter-part. So it was kind of awkward on the dance floor if you were the only geek without an available dance partner to roll upon. lol

I recall talking to a cosplay girl in my area...she has a boyfriend, unfortuantely, and we did bring up the subject of finding someone at these cons...she said conventions are more FAMILY oriented and not really a singles-fest.

Just recently, a woman in cosplay posted something up on a local SINGLES FB group. She posted pics of herself, some cleavage showing, and a post-gym pic. Saying she was single and seriously looking. Was lookign for someone either in the medical field like her and/or into sci-fi/anime/cosplay etc.

I saw her FB profile, she had this cute cosplay outfit, next to a celeb. She must've gotten like 3 or 4 dudes already responding, saying, "I'm into geeky stuff too!" and they started spouting off anime, sci-fi, etc. She knew her **** that's for sure.

I thought she was gorgeous, at least in my eyes. She was very curvy. In her mid-30s. She would probably be considered chunky, but...she filled out nicely. Most of these dudes were pretty lean/athletic. Typical scrawny nerds. (Not making fun, but just trying to paint a picture. I am kind of that way, but with some muscle ton.

I went to PM her, and she said, "Sorry, I'm a curvy girl, and I prefer my men very tall, and big (guessing linebacker-sized)...because I'm a curvy girl" I said, "You're in luck, I have a weakness for the curvy! lol" Of course, there was no talking her into getting to know each other, since she had her mind made up..but personally, if you're in geek circles...

She said she stayed away from dating sites, and I was thinking, "What makes you think a <name of city> singles group is any better? I think she was limiting herself.

Anyways, long story short...if you do come across a geeky, middle-aged woman...she'll be indeed a unicorn that other THIRSTY geeky guys will be fawning after. A lot of competition because she will be in demand.

I mean, I'm open to dating women my age, but they may judge me on my interests. I mean, they don't have to be really INTO that stuff, but I know some that despise it or chastise other men (man childs) that do like it. Must be my area, because the non-geek women have no interest in pop culture and prefer museums, the arts, indie films (they don't like blockbusters) (the indies are okay, but some can be yawners). The opera, fashion, etc.

Let's just say, they wouldn't touch a Superman graphic T-shirt. lol

Some people suggested I find other interests on my own that common folk enjoy, which I do. Hiking, kayaking etc. I did meet a geek girl in disguise that was major outdoor enthusiast. I had no idea that she was into those geeky board games and such (Settlerse of Catan, Dominion, Magic the Gathering, etc)

Unfortunately, yep...a boyfriend. *sigh*
I did get the "purple squirrel" and unicorn comments. DragonCon has an "after dark" event for risque costumes and grown up activities. I'm no longer in Atlanta, but when I went, it was with an ex, a middle-aged nerd/geek gamer, whom I met on OKC. I met all of them on OKC. I had mostly played console, but got sucked back into PC games and we played a ton together.

Unsurprisingly, the majority of men's profiles on OKC said "no" to playing video games. Lol But then they'd message me asking how I was enjoying GW2 (when it was new) and what games I like. As you state, they admitted they hide their interest in video games because most women 30+ don't have a favorable opinion of them. I am friends with a lot of 30s+ women that are into such things. A few met their partners in games or on gaming forums. I just preferred dating sites because it was easy to find matches that are compatible in a variety of areas.

I think city/region has a lot to do with it. Metro cities, especially Atlanta, SoCal, Bay Area, PNW, etc., seem to draw a lot of these types. I definitely love museums and the arts. Love a good indie, documentary and foreign film, but I love cinema in general and virtually all genres, even mindless summer blockbusters.

My husband wears graphic tees the majority of the time.

Old 06-29-2018, 03:14 PM

20,764 posts, read 19,972,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ_ View Post
I'm not ready to give up yet. It's really only been around 3 weeks since I started OLD. I think what I'll do is try a couple other dating sites. Do you have any recommendations? I'm 46.
They all suck pretty much and you'll run into the same profiles there again. I guess the only serious and better ones are those where you have to pay.

Old 06-29-2018, 03:18 PM
RJ_ RJ_ started this thread

743 posts, read 392,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
They all suck pretty much and you'll run into the same profiles there again. I guess the only serious and better ones are those where you have to pay.
I'm already a paying member of match, but I'm going to cancel my subscription soon. I just signed up for eharmony. That one is a bit more expensive. But I figure if it can lead to a viable relationship, it's worth it. If eharmony doesn't work, well, I don't know.

Old 06-29-2018, 03:22 PM

3,926 posts, read 2,035,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metaphysique View Post
I did get the "purple squirrel" and unicorn comments. DragonCon has an "after dark" event for risque costumes and grown up activities. I'm no longer in Atlanta, but when I went, it was with an ex, a middle-aged nerd/geek gamer, whom I met on OKC. I met all of them on OKC. I had mostly played console, but got sucked back into PC games and we played a ton together.

Unsurprisingly, the majority of men's profiles on OKC said "no" to playing video games. Lol But then they'd message me asking how I was enjoying GW2 (when it was new) and what games I like. As you state, they admitted they hide their interest in video games because most women 30+ don't have a favorable opinion of them. I am friends with a lot of 30s+ women that are into such things. A few met their partners in games or on gaming forums. I just preferred dating sites because it was easy to find matches that are compatible in a variety of areas.

I think city/region has a lot to do with it. Metro cities, especially Atlanta, SoCal, Bay Area, PNW, etc., seem to draw a lot of these types. I definitely love museums and the arts. Love a good indie, documentary and foreign film, but I love cinema in general and virtually all genres, even mindless summer blockbusters.

I recall a female geek I know, that she did put video games as part of her interests. But since she's in her early 40s, she was getting emails from 20-something men (too young for her), so she removed that interest. lol I went to Star Wars Celebration last year, now THAT was somethin'!

Quote:
Dammit, see...told ya! Married! LOL (teasin). Every comic shop I go to, where we do board gaming, if I see a cute woman there...sho' 'nuff, wedding band on her finger plain as day. lol

Old 06-29-2018, 03:26 PM

3,926 posts, read 2,035,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
Yeah, I gave up online dating last year. I kept seeing the same faces,of the SAME women that I emailed...constantly. I realized there's a finite amount of single women in my area. So what did I do...I re-emailed them if a certain amount of time had passed.

It's a chance, because you risk being blocked on the 2nd go around. I recall one woman saying in her profile, "If you emailed me before, and I didn't respond, do NOT email me again 2 weeks later! Take the hint!"

But sometimes, they'll response if they simply did not see you the first time, buried underneath the competition of men.

Old 06-29-2018, 03:35 PM

30,902 posts, read 33,003,025 times
Quote:
I wish I could give you recommendations but if you are this critical of every woman within 4 hours driving distance then I can't imagine you will become open-minded enough to give anyone a shot. I would have suggested you go out with a few women even if you didn't think they spent your expected amount of time on making their profiles sound different in some way, as the actual person is probably way more dimensional than that, but you don't want to. I don't believe looking elsewhere will change things, unless you go on niche community sites. That is assuming you do have these interests. To be honest you really haven't said anything unique that *you* bring to the table. Do you have anything? Look on niche sites for whatever that is.

Old 06-29-2018, 03:44 PM

1,063 posts, read 696,886 times
Quote:
I'm already a paying member of match, but I'm going to cancel my subscription soon. I just signed up for eharmony. That one is a bit more expensive. But I figure if it can lead to a viable relationship, it's worth it. If eharmony doesn't work, well, I don't know.
Save your cash for a drink at the bar.

Old 06-29-2018, 03:48 PM

777 posts, read 452,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisTown123 View Post

They get ticked off at men who didn't apparently closely read her profile to see if they were a good match.
Speaking as someone who did put some thought into my profile, why shouldn't I be a bit peeved at it not being read?

Granted, I wasn't generally outright rude to anyone who clearly wasn't a match, but come on... it's not that hard to read a profile, and if you are looking for a relationship and not just a random hookup, you should.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships