Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2018, 08:59 AM

503 posts, read 1,456,418 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MechaMan View Post
Yes, he needs to step up and tolerate the drama.
Not many women are 40 and no kids.

Yes people get in car accidents.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2018, 01:05 PM

67 posts, read 144,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desertrose34 View Post
I think she has a lot on her plate and maybe she feels she doesn't want to burden you with it?

She may feel like she needs to do it all on her own.

Have a big sit down with her.

Life is full of ups and downs, good times and bad times.

If you are serious about this gal, let her know she can lean on you.

Does she need help with money?

She is a teacher.

She owns her own home.

That shows responsibility.

Is she not getting teacher checks over the summer though?

If her ex is trying to drop child support this is probably really bad timing.

She may need some help getting by til school starts again.

Is there a plan within the school system where she can break her checks up between 12 months instead?
I am crazy about her and I want to be supportive. Unfortunately I don’t think I can have a big sit down with her right now, she seems too stressed out with the court thing. I don’t even know when that’s gonna be as she just returned the subpoena form yesterday. I think any heavy talks would only frustrate her more right now and add stress. I’ll give it a few weeks to hear from her and then try to touch base. I let her know I’m here when she’s ready to talk and I know she’s got a lot on her mind now.

I haven’t asked about her summer pay situation, but from what she did say - she would be able to take money out of 401k or something if necessary.

Thanks for your ideas though, I appreciate the attitude of not just saying give up or there’s too much drama. I also realize there’s inherent drama in life and you can’t run from all of it. The fact that we’ve been crazy about each other up until this happened, I realize it probably wasn’t the few fights, it’s the level of stress she can handle right now. I’ve been in a really toxic relationship, some pretty good ones, and this one was the happiest I can remember. I remember feeling In the past when dating a single mother, the kid stuff was sort of a burden. This time I’m really enjoying it, and I want to do more to help without her even asking. I take care of things that need fixing around her house without suggestion, etc. She would cook and treat me like I wanted to be treated. We even discussed the possibility of us having a kid in the future if things go well. I’ll just give her some space to clear her mind and hope for the best.

Old 06-30-2018, 01:23 PM

49,927 posts, read 60,053,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
It just might be that your relationship isn't solid enough at this point that you are more of a distraction than a comfort.
Yep.

OP, you two have been playing house.

Now she is deep in some real-life crap, but you are not on a "spouse" level of emotional support. You have to back off and just be patient to see if she catches up.

Be ready to accept that she may never, though.

Old 06-30-2018, 01:42 PM

2,033 posts, read 1,683,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post
Yep.

OP, you two have been playing house.

Now she is deep in some real-life crap, but you are not on a "spouse" level of emotional support. You have to back off and just be patient to see if she catches up.

Be ready to accept that she may never, though.
Good points. Well said. And her "real life crap" also includes physical pain. Exhaustion. A full time job- 2 actually
..the teaching job and the baby.
If you want to stick by her, you can be supportive without being smothering. It sounds like you are making a sincere effort to show her that very thing.

Old 06-30-2018, 03:39 PM

1 posts, read 579 times
Why would you put up with being an afterthought? Especially to a poor single mom who's more than likely going to try and use you to help support her kid. I don't know why so many men put up with this.

Old 06-30-2018, 03:45 PM

67 posts, read 144,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moxiegal View Post
Good points. Well said. And her "real life crap" also includes physical pain. Exhaustion. A full time job- 2 actually
..the teaching job and the baby.
If you want to stick by her, you can be supportive without being smothering. It sounds like you are making a sincere effort to show her that very thing.
I do want to stick by her, I don’t want to be the cause of more stress right now, and I realize now, maybe the feelings I was expressing that she was being withdrawn, while valid, might’ve been bad timing. I wish there was more I could do than just tell her I’m giving her space. But I think that’s best until she initiates contact or needs help in some way. Those were the signals she gave me, so hopefully she doesn’t take it as not being there for her.

Old 06-30-2018, 10:13 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,202,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackSwan View Post
And I don't know exactly what what wrong or what to think. A little background...

I met this woman back in November, so almost 8 months we've been together.

You're the "bounce-back man" so you're expendable. Go ahead and move on to a less complex relationship.

If I had to guess, I'd say she's never not been in a relationship, which is a serious red-flag.

Old 07-01-2018, 09:33 AM

1,063 posts, read 698,744 times
Quote:

Either the kids are grown or it's a no-go.

There are plenty of Women from other countries that either have grown children at that age or none.

When Men have a zero tolerance for baby momma drama in this country, the reproduction habits will change and become more responsible.

Old 07-01-2018, 09:41 AM

102,250 posts, read 108,166,150 times
Quote:

You'd be surprised. There are quite a few women out there, at 40 with no kids. Many never were interested in having kids. Some haven't met the right guy. Others have been busy going to school, getting advanced degrees, then getting established in a career. IDK if this is difficult for some people to believe, but it actually IS possible to go through 25 of one's childbearing years, without giving birth. lol. It's really not that hard.

Old 07-01-2018, 11:32 AM

49,927 posts, read 60,053,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MechaMan View Post
When Men have a zero tolerance for baby momma drama in this country, the reproduction habits will change and become more responsible.
That won't happen any time soon. For some a babymama/babydaddy (even multiples) is a status symbol.

But of course men can and should bag it up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships