Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-04-2018, 01:55 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,101,386 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ_ View Post
Well, to your first paragraph, that's just simple biology, as was concluded by Kinsey after decades of research. He established that the male sex hormone(testosterone) was at it's highest levels between the ages of 18-25. Where as women sexually peaked in their 30s.
You just have that all wrong. You are analyzing people as groups. Yet in any person's life there are only individuals.

I'm looking at my most recent blood panel and it lists testosterone normal level as 264-916 ng/dL for healthy, non-obese males age 19-39 years old. I scored very near the top of the range yet I'm a senior citizen. If you were to make a conclusion about me based upon my age you would say that based upon YOUR statistics that I am very likely to have a low or non-existent sex drive. Yet nothing could be further from the truth!

My experience with women is that they sexually peaked AFTER pregnancy became nothing to worry about. Even if you are using birth control it's never 100% certain, and I'm sure many women worry about it. (WTH I would worry about it too! I sure as heck don't want any children!) How a woman reaches a stage where she cannot become pregnant varies, naturally occurring about age 40-45. (Chance of pregnancy at 40 is 40-50% but by 43 it's only 1-2%. - reference) Tubal ligation is a pretty popular method for women to end their reproductive years.

The Kinsey Reports (and similar studies) predict behavior of population groups, but when you take it down to the individual level the statistics tend to become useless.

Old 07-04-2018, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
My formal training is as a biologist and worked as a zoologist many years. I get the trying to think about things like coupling in biological terms, or as a chemical equation, or a scientific formula, but you will NEVER NEVER understand relationships if you try to think of it in this manner, and you certainly will turn people off left, right and center.
Timberline, your specialty is in the wrong field. The expert in relationships I would accept is a clinical psychologist (or psychiatrist) with Ph.D in psychology, or Psy.D. degree.

Upon re-reading your quote above I think that's what you were saying, and so probably we agree.

It's a good thing we don't need psychologists to understand relationships. Plenty of people are great at relationships with no education at all. Myself, woah it took me a whole lot of mistakes to achieve the understanding I currently have. Whole lot of mistakes!

The world is populated by plenty of people who have great relationships. I'm sure a lot of them were just lucky. People like me have to work harder to get that good relationship I'm looking for.

Old 07-04-2018, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
LOL I'm reminded of a saying...

"Do you want to be right, or do you want to be happy?"
Heck with both of those! I'll take being LUCKY any time!

Old 07-04-2018, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
It also makes it sound like the person saying it is saying, "You won't find the person you really want, so just go out with me instead," which is not exactly a glowing self-endorsement. It sounds like the person isn't usually, if at all a woman's first choice so he has this canned response in place on how the woman he is "wooing" should forget about being happy and excited and just go for him insteas. Again, not really making him look any better in the woman's eyes. I mean think about it.

It just looks like a sad, not satisfied, lonely, "oh, I give up" solution. "Meh, what do you want, happiness? What, do you believe in magic of something? Oh grow up! Just go out with me instead." That's totally how it comes off. This line is really fairly far from a panty-dropper, I'm sorry to say.
JerZ you have a perfect way of putting things! Yeah it's that exactly!

It's a losing line. Just not gonna work.

Okay one exception. This is legend and I've always assumed it's true. The way the story goes, any half way decent man could stand on a busy corner (or hang at a popular bar or cocktail lounge) and ask every single woman, "Do you want to have sex?" (The story has slightly less acceptable choice of words but you get it.) The story says the line will fail almost all the time, but if the man tries long enough eventually a woman will take him up on his offer.

But what a waste. All a man has to do is lose the lines and just be a nice person and learn how women want to be treated, and do it!

Old 07-04-2018, 02:20 PM
RJ_

743 posts, read 391,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
You just have that all wrong. You are analyzing people as groups. Yet in any person's life there are only individuals.

I'm looking at my most recent blood panel and it lists testosterone normal level as 264-916 ng/dL for healthy, non-obese males age 19-39 years old. I scored very near the top of the range yet I'm a senior citizen.
I'm wrong? It's not even my data. And it's not even debatable. It's proven. There are literally hundreds of links you can find that will explain exactly how sex hormone levels drop in men past a certain age while a woman's peaks in her mid 30s. Your anecdotal evidence only provides data about you.

By the way, I mentioned Kinsey simply because he pioneered the research.

Here's a government study, one of many: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4190174/

https://www.healthline.com/health/lo...s-by-age#aging

Old 07-04-2018, 02:21 PM

Quote:
For someone who says he's a biologist, you should know that what you've proposed is impossible. Neurological functions are not voluntary.
Please just quit. You don't understand psychology or physiology at all if you believe neurological functions are involuntary. Some are some aren't. The higher you get in functional level the more voluntary and individualistic neurological functions become.

My background is BS degree with minor in psychology. And I've kept up in psychology since graduation, it's not a static interest of mine.

Old 07-04-2018, 02:22 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,878,348 times
Man, you guys sure know how to sweet-talk a girl

Old 07-04-2018, 02:25 PM
RJ_

743 posts, read 391,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
Please just quit. You don't understand psychology or physiology at all if you believe neurological functions are involuntary. Some are some aren't. The higher you get in functional level the more voluntary and individualistic neurological functions become.

My background is BS degree with minor in psychology. And I've kept up in psychology since graduation, it's not a static interest of mine.
I wasn't talking about psychology, I was talking about neurology. As in autonomic and somatic responses. And there's really no need for you to try to pull rank on me. It's just not necessary.

Old 07-04-2018, 02:32 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,407,402 times
Quote:
Well, yes. Everyone adjusts their expectations as they get older, you have to or you'll be stuck in the past holding out hope that somehow the world will change on your account.

What I've seen a lot of in my admittedly new foray into OLD, is that there's an unusually high number of 35-45 year old people who are refusing to adjust their expectations according to their marketability. Basically, they're in denial. You have 40 year old women who still think Prince Charming is going to come scoop her up and off to his castle. Then you have the ones who simply won't make room for a new partner because they're not willing to change anything about their lifestyle.

Inevitably these people will be forced to adjust their standards if they don't want to spend the rest of their lives alone
And what does all this matter to you? Everyone gets to decide for themselves what they want - including you. Why are you even browsing profiles of women who are so old and unfit for dating you?

Old 07-04-2018, 02:32 PM

6,733 posts, read 4,410,648 times
I really wouldnt want a woman that was looking for these traits in a man.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.