Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2018, 10:35 AM

2,913 posts, read 2,432,226 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
I haven't a clue what a Bentley looks like. Do most people?
https://tysons.bentleymotors.com/us/...etails-cnckhml

Just did a quick search came up with this. The cheapest for a pre-owned at this place was $138,000 and went up to $219,000. No way I'd ever pay that much for a car. I wouldn't even pay $25,000.

Old 06-30-2018, 10:36 AM

41,938 posts, read 36,737,208 times
Huh, so they look like a regular sedan but slightly sleeker. I doubt most people would notice it.

Old 06-30-2018, 10:53 AM

102,064 posts, read 106,967,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stockyman View Post
To me it just means don't drive an old beat up cheap-ass car, especially if you are an older male. Drive one that's newer that has more 'status'. Substitute 'Bentley' with 'Lexus', 'Porsche', 'BMW', 'Mercedes', etc. Not too hard to figure it what the article is implying.

Again for all those that get offended some women don't care if you have a car or if you drive a junker vs a newer, more expensive car. Heck there are those who are going to post they have slept with hundreds of women using their bus pass. But there will be some women who will be 'attracted' to the type of car you drive. No it's not a deal-breaker. No one doesn't have to buy a brand-new status vehicle. No it doesn't imply the woman is a gold-digger. Yes please post all the women you slept without owning a car. Yes please post all the dead broke men you went out with that drove 15+ older cars or never owned one.
But I don't agree with what it was implying, either, lol. BMW's and Mercedes are very impractical cars. Some women undoubtedly go for "status" cars. Others would be looking for a man who was more practical, and didn't throw away money on expensive cars that are costly to repair and tend to require repair periodically. That goes for Volvos and Jaguars, too, which I happen to like, but they're disasters to own. Also, no one said anything about owning junkers; not the article, nor any women here. This is an example of one typical dynamic on C-D, when someone posts an opinion some may find controversial; suddenly, other posters will start speaking in terms of extreme examples, as a way to ridicule the point. Talking about beater cars, here, is off-topic.

And btw, to get back to the article and the list: how many men have you ever seen wearing red? That's laughable. "Chow down on garlic", seriously? Beyond laughable. I find it very interesting that some of you guys are taking this article seriously. But hey, it's "scientific"!

Last edited by Ruth4Truth; 06-30-2018 at 11:07 AM..

Old 06-30-2018, 10:59 AM

10,337 posts, read 5,822,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Huh, so they look like a regular sedan but slightly sleeker. I doubt most people would notice it.
Yeah, I had to look it up. It reminds me of the Chrysler 300 a friend just bought for at least 100k less....

Old 06-30-2018, 11:01 AM

399 posts, read 219,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ_ View Post
Here's the list, I don't really think much of it. Most of it's common sense.

Look older
Grow a light beard
Build muscle (but not too much)
Be kind
Wear red
Make your partner laugh
Walk a dog
Play good music
Practice mindfulness
Play extreme sports
Wear scented deodorant
Chow down on garlic
Do volunteer work
Show off your scars
Use open body language in your online dating profile
Look proud
I have 3-4 out of 19 and do fine for myself. Lol.

Old 06-30-2018, 11:23 AM

14,530 posts, read 19,993,519 times
Some of the stuff on the list are common sense. The rest are just some dummy's ideas to fill out the list. Wear red? That's pathetic. Wear whatever is in style. Red might work during Christmas season.

Old 06-30-2018, 11:25 AM

2,713 posts, read 5,339,047 times
Quote:
Here's the list, I don't really think much of it. Most of it's common sense.

Look older
Grow a light beard
Build muscle (but not too much)
Be kind
Wear red
Make your partner laugh
Walk a dog
Play good music
Practice mindfulness
Play extreme sports
Wear scented deodorant
Chow down on garlic
Do volunteer work
Show off your scars
Use open body language in your online dating profile
Look proud
These seem like common sense things that offer nothing in the way of helpful information. Having to tell someone via an Internet list to "be nice" is odd. Good music is in the ear of the beholder. I have no idea what "use open body language in your online dating profile means" and no clue what "look proud" means either.

Chow down on garlic?
Show off your scars?

What the what?

Last edited by cleasach; 06-30-2018 at 11:25 AM.. Reason: left a word out

Old 06-30-2018, 11:31 AM

102,064 posts, read 106,967,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleasach View Post
These seem like common sense things that offer nothing in the way of helpful information. Having to tell someone via an Internet list to "be nice" is odd. Good music is in the ear of the beholder. I have no idea what "use open body language in your online dating profile means" and no clue what "look proud" means either.

Chow down on garlic?
Show off your scars?

What the what?
lol. At least I got my laugh for the day. CD-R is always good for that.

Old 06-30-2018, 12:02 PM
RJ_

743 posts, read 389,490 times
There are literally hundreds of studies that have shown that women are naturally attracted to men who signal "provider" status. This is biology, not some off the wall notion. It's scientifically researched.

I think people resist the mountain of evidence that supports this because they don't want to admit that they are simple, shallow, survivalist creatures. It's just who we are. We're wired to survive, as such, the mates we deem more capable of helping with this, appear more attractive.

https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/b...-attract-women

"Women are attracted to other signs of high social status, from elite diction to driving an expensive car, or dining at a posh restaurant (3). Perhaps for this reason, many still prefer if the man pays the expenses of a date. In our society, this is a sign of having disposable income and being generous enough to dispose of it."

Old 06-30-2018, 12:06 PM

35,512 posts, read 17,705,812 times
Quote:
There are literally hundreds of studies that have shown that women are naturally attracted to men who signal "provider" status. This is biology, not some off the wall notion. It's scientifically researched.

I think people resist the mountain of evidence that supports this because they don't want to admit that they are simple, shallow, survivalist creatures. It's just who we are. We're wired to survive, as such, the mates we deem more capable of helping with this, appear more attractive.

https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/b...-attract-women

"Women are attracted to other signs of high social status, from elite diction to driving an expensive car, or dining at a posh restaurant (3). Perhaps for this reason, many still prefer if the man pays the expenses of a date. In our society, this is a sign of having disposable income and being generous enough to dispose of it."
I believe it goes even deeper than that. It's "the selfish gene" pushing us.

The desire to survive, and procreate is very strong in all mammals. (Not each individual person, obviously, but all species of mammals have a very very strong desire to procreate even if a few individuals don't have that).

That's why women are wired to choose men who can at least subsist at survival level. And men prefer young, healthy, fit, attractive women.

Both cases give you a better chance of having surviving offspring.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.