Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2018, 04:51 PM

10,196 posts, read 9,890,797 times

Advertisements

I have a friend (we are both female) in my neighborhood who is a nice person. But mostly we get together occasionally in the evening to have drinks and chat. We will look after each other's houses when the other is out of town. Our kids play and once in a while we will watch each other's kid.

I recently went out of town for a week and a half without my husband (I took the kids, he stayed home alone). The friend I mentioned is going through a divorce and is stressed out and maybe a bit lonely. While I was gone I called home one night and she was over having drinks with my husband. I am not a jealous person in general, but it made me uncomfortable. Very uncomfortable. My husband told me she didn't make any moves or anything, was just a bit tipsy and wanted someone to talk to. Ok, that's fine.

But when I got home I was talking to him and he was telling me about the updates about her divorce. He was really feeling terrible for her and going on and on about what a terrible person her husband is. She told him *so much* more about her marriage and the details of her decision to leave then she ever told me. Super personal stuff. She also came over more then once (I think 3 times) in the evening to chat. She doesn't come over that often to chat with me, but then again, things are happening pretty fast right now with her divorce.

I trust my husband that nothing romantic happened. He told me she didn't stay long but he felt bad for her and wanted to be nice and let her vent. I told him flat out that it wasn't ok with me. While I trust him, it makes me feel uneasy. I pointed out that if the situation was turned around, he would also feel uneasy. And in a marriage we need to keep things like that in mind, because it isn't fair to our spouse. He agreed but still kind of laughed me off. Grrrrrrr…

But back to my neighbor friend. She has told me many times how lucky I am to have my husband and how great he is. She often invites him to hang out with us (which is polite...but I would rather just girl talk). While I was away she and I were texting and she "joked" that my husband was glad I was gone, which I felt a bit insecure about after because I worried he had told her that. Knowing these things...I just feel a bit put off. I have an "icky feeling" in my gut. I am not a jealous person, but right now I am feeling...uneasy about the situation.

Anyways, I would be open to some outside thoughts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2018, 04:54 PM

30,902 posts, read 33,013,051 times
No. Just no.

So far beyond inappropriate.

Old 07-03-2018, 04:56 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,966,647 times
Not good AT ALL.

Begin the not-so-slow fade with her ASAP, and reinforce with your husband the new "out of town" policies.

Old 07-03-2018, 04:58 PM

8,923 posts, read 7,724,837 times
This is an affair waiting (I use that term lightly) to happen.

Old 07-03-2018, 05:05 PM

14,078 posts, read 16,616,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
I have a friend (we are both female) in my neighborhood who is a nice person. But mostly we get together occasionally in the evening to have drinks and chat. We will look after each other's houses when the other is out of town. Our kids play and once in a while we will watch each other's kid.

I recently went out of town for a week and a half without my husband (I took the kids, he stayed home alone). The friend I mentioned is going through a divorce and is stressed out and maybe a bit lonely. While I was gone I called home one night and she was over having drinks with my husband. I am not a jealous person in general, but it made me uncomfortable. Very uncomfortable. My husband told me she didn't make any moves or anything, was just a bit tipsy and wanted someone to talk to. Ok, that's fine.

But when I got home I was talking to him and he was telling me about the updates about her divorce. He was really feeling terrible for her and going on and on about what a terrible person her husband is. She told him *so much* more about her marriage and the details of her decision to leave then she ever told me. Super personal stuff. She also came over more then once (I think 3 times) in the evening to chat. She doesn't come over that often to chat with me, but then again, things are happening pretty fast right now with her divorce.

I trust my husband that nothing romantic happened. He told me she didn't stay long but he felt bad for her and wanted to be nice and let her vent. I told him flat out that it wasn't ok with me. While I trust him, it makes me feel uneasy. I pointed out that if the situation was turned around, he would also feel uneasy. And in a marriage we need to keep things like that in mind, because it isn't fair to our spouse. He agreed but still kind of laughed me off. Grrrrrrr…

But back to my neighbor friend. She has told me many times how lucky I am to have my husband and how great he is. She often invites him to hang out with us (which is polite...but I would rather just girl talk). While I was away she and I were texting and she "joked" that my husband was glad I was gone, which I felt a bit insecure about after because I worried he had told her that. Knowing these things...I just feel a bit put off. I have an "icky feeling" in my gut. I am not a jealous person, but right now I am feeling...uneasy about the situation.

Anyways, I would be open to some outside thoughts.
Well, I am a jealous person and I would have a problem with this.

Old 07-03-2018, 05:06 PM

16,960 posts, read 17,348,750 times
Hmmmm..... vulnerable woman with your husband....confiding intimate details about her divorce, and getting tipsy.

How many times did she just show up to your home looking for "shoulder to cry on" while you were away?

Old 07-03-2018, 05:07 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,966,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiiancoconut View Post
Hmmmm..... vulnerable woman with your husband....confiding intimate details about her divorce, and getting tipsy.

How many times did she just show up to your home looking for "shoulder to cry on"?
Right?

I mean, did she just show up, OP?? Or did she text in advance to come over?

At least if your husband had acted like he was taking your concerns seriously, it might be better.

Old 07-03-2018, 05:18 PM
RJ_

743 posts, read 392,741 times
I don't see the neighbor as a relevant variable here. This is nothing more than a matter of trust, between you and your husband. That's it.

Old 07-03-2018, 05:20 PM

18,161 posts, read 15,635,416 times
(sigh) I feel for you OP. I went through a similar thing myself. My now ex wife and my best friend. Who is now an ex best friend. No it is totally inappropriate for this lady to hang out with your husband while you are gone all her pain and problems aside. The latter actually is drinking kerosene and pizzing on a brushfire when the pair gets together while you are gone.

S*** Happens was never more apt. I'm speaking as a man, but man or woman a foot needs to go down in situations like this.

Old 07-03-2018, 05:23 PM

48,534 posts, read 34,873,169 times
No, not appropriate.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships