Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2018, 08:28 AM

15,013 posts, read 21,642,088 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
If it weren't for him asking "Did I take something?" I'd think maybe he was just distracted, but honestly, that part is just plain weird. As someone who unknowingly married an alcoholic (he was "just tired," needed to get home, was coming down with a stomach bug and sick to his stomach. ..etc...), I'd really never overlook a drug or alcohol red flag again. But that's just me.

Yep.

No way he was just distracted or fell asleep. There is something more sinister going on here, and I'm betting on addiction.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2018, 08:37 AM

8,923 posts, read 7,715,601 times
Weird, could've been a bad joke.

Either way, way too dismissive and absent minded for me. If you like the dynamic that much, keep talking to him. It's all on you SLS. You have to make the call. No pun intended.

Old 07-02-2018, 08:47 AM

14,078 posts, read 16,601,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auraliea View Post
Weird, could've been a bad joke.

Either way, way too dismissive and absent minded for me. If you like the dynamic that much, keep talking to him. It's all on you SLS. You have to make the call. No pun intended.
Well, this isn't the only weird thing he's ever done. I've always felt that something was a little "off" about him, but not necessarily in a bad way. He didn't grow up in the US (he is a US citizen), so his behavior is a little different and he doesn't understand certain things that are common knowledge for others here. Yes, I know it sounds like I'm making excuses for him right now. At the very least, I thought maybe we could be friends because he said he really enjoyed talking with me and I felt the same way. Our talks prior to last night have been excellent.

Old 07-02-2018, 09:28 AM

8,923 posts, read 7,715,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Like Sugar View Post
Well, this isn't the only weird thing he's ever done. I've always felt that something was a little "off" about him, but not necessarily in a bad way. He didn't grow up in the US (he is a US citizen), so his behavior is a little different and he doesn't understand certain things that are common knowledge for others here. Yes, I know it sounds like I'm making excuses for him right now. At the very least, I thought maybe we could be friends because he said he really enjoyed talking with me and I felt the same way. Our talks prior to last night have been excellent.
Well like I said...

Neither one of us can really "tell" you what to do here. We don't know the dynamics of your relationship with this man. We also don't know how it truly makes you feel or how he feels. It's about how you feel about it personally. You would be the one that has to navigate it. Just live your life. If you like it, I love it.

Old 07-02-2018, 10:17 AM

8,085 posts, read 5,243,709 times
Quote:
Yet you continue to ignore that feeling even after he ignored your text the first time.

Girl, stop. You don't need friends like this.

Old 07-02-2018, 10:44 AM

11,157 posts, read 7,952,361 times
Quote:
Oh, I don’t know. I thought maybe someone here might know someone who usually acts normal but then occasionally acts a bit nuts sometimes due to some kind of condition.

Just me..... about every 28 days.

Old 07-02-2018, 10:51 AM

20,758 posts, read 19,951,234 times
Quote:
not growing up in the US doesn't make you seem drugged.

He either took drugs. Or he was just very tired. I have heard people slur their speech when they are tired and when I am very tired, I don't make much sense anymore either.

I would let it slide .... but not forget and would keep my eyes open

Old 07-02-2018, 10:56 AM

13,262 posts, read 8,016,112 times
Quote:
So I’ve been talking to this guy who I met on a dating site for the past few days. We met in person once a few years ago and discussed going out again, but we stopped communicating after he ignored one of my texts (he says he remembers meeting me, but he can’t remember the specifics of our meeting or why we stopped talking). So I’m like, ok whatever, I’m willing to reconnect and see how things go. We’ve been talking on the phone a lot and it’s been great. I felt like we were understanding each other and that we were making a real connection. I even told my dad about this guy and he was really impressed (and my dad isn’t very easy to impress). I’m not one to get my hopes up, but I felt good about how things were going. Let me be clear that my interest in him is not primarily based on how he looks. I think he’s attractive enough, but I was more interested in the fact that our conversations were going so well and he seemed genuinely interested in getting to know me and allowing me to get to know him. We’ve talked about some really serious subjects that I don’t usually talk about with other people and he’s been very easy to talk to. He’s told me about his family and how he grew up. He’s very intelligent and he’s done a lot of traveling, so he’s knowledgeable about lots of things. It’s been great! Well, up until last night it had been great.

So he called me last night and of course I was excited to hear from him. So we were talking about his day and the conversation seemed fairly normal. Then I thought he was having phone issues or something because I didn’t hear him talking anymore. So I texted him asking if he was having phone issues and he sent me a text that I think was meant for his mom (he had been talking to his parents that night too and maybe he was still texting with them). So anyway I called him back asking whether he was having phone issues and he acts like he didn’t even realize that our conversation got cut off. And I was like, “Well, you didn’t hear me saying anything for the past few minutes, did you?” lol And he’s like, “I’m sorry, I’m just distracted by my parents.” And I’m like “Ok, but you told me that you just talked to them before you called me and everything was fine.” He’s like, “Well yeah, I thought everything was fine but I’m not really sure.” So at this point, I’m noticing that he’s talking kinda slowly and he sounds a bit strange so I asked him, “Did you take something today? Like medication or drugs or something?” And he’s like “No, but I had a beer earlier today.” I’m like “Are you sure that was all because you sound a bit out of it.” At first he seemed to get a little offended that I was asking him this, but then he was trying to say something and it was like completely incoherent. So he goes, “Wait a minute. What’s wrong with me? Have I been drugged?!” He starts taking deep breaths like he’s trying to calm himself down or something. And I’m like, “Well, when would you have been drugged? Haven’t you been home for the past few hours? What else did you do today besides what you already told me?” And then he just abruptly hung up on me! lol

So yeah, what the hell was that about?? Part of me is saying, “Ok, he’s nuts. It’s time to move on,” but I’m also a bit worried about him and will probably contact him later today to see if he’s ok. But if he wasn’t intoxicated, he seems to have some kind of mental issue...I’m not sure which one would cause that type of behavior though. He has mentioned issues with his family before, but could stress from talking to his parents really trigger him to act so strangely? Because that was just super weird!

For some reason, I'm thinking/wondering if he might've had a hypoglycemic episode? Or maybe he was about to pass out, or have a seizure? I've fainted before...and I was kind of fuzzy headed for a couple of hours afterwards.

Old 07-02-2018, 11:02 AM

13,262 posts, read 8,016,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RbccL View Post
I have talked on my phone, fell asleep, and kept talking. That does explain it, and he apologized

Oh yeah! I've done that too! Well...not so much while on the phone, but like at slumber parties, or like when I'd be talking with my sister late into the night, when I'm sleepy.

My sisters think it's super funny when I get in that state. We're talking, I start drifting off, and I'm somewhere between present and dreamland. I've been known to say some really strange stuff.

Old 07-02-2018, 11:07 AM

2,718 posts, read 5,356,415 times
You have to do what you feel is right. I would bail. Immediately. Too weird for me. Falling asleep while talking on the phone is one thing but the OP described it as "going nuts" on the phone. The whole "Have I been drugged" sounds like he's paranoid or something. Not to mention that he ignored her texts the last time they tried this. Sounds like a flake or someone with a substance problem or mental health issues. Maybe I am completely wrong. I get that. But I wouldn't stick around to find out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships