Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2018, 08:36 PM

37,442 posts, read 61,352,754 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DefiantNJ View Post
... Unlikely in the Northeast, but if a woman worked in a farm or worked with her hands I would not have a problem. In all these cases, they would probably be earning less than me but should be able to support themselves in a modest life style...
I know a lot of 'Farm Apprentices' in this area. Most of them are Sustainable Ag grad students at the state university. I serve on the board of our county Cooperative Extension Service, and many of these grad students do presentations for us on their research. I also work with our regional Organic Certifying agency [the agency that originated 'Certified Organic'] and many of these same Farm Apprentices work on Certified Organic farms every summer. As far as I am aware everyone of these grad students aspires to one day own and operate their own farm.

So if one of these kids is working on my farm [here in Maine], how exactly is this 'unlikely'?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2018, 09:20 AM

9,468 posts, read 10,794,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisTown123 View Post
Yeah, it really has to do with whether or not you're living beyond their means. I have known well paid people to be in debt to their eyeballs.
I would be more inclined to go with this line of thinking. I would rather have a woman with a menial job who does live within her means than a high paid one who does not. Career attainment is not everything and statistics beat out the reality that much of the population never does that well in this respect. Successful people tend to be aggressive type A folks and some of the traits employers seem to love in them make them horrible spouses. Aggressiveness, narcissism, self focused and a take no prisoners attitude will get you further in the work world but I would never want it in my home.

Living within ones means however is a wonderful trait, one that both partners should embrace. Make 30k a year? Simple, don’t spend more than that. Entitlement mentality leads folks to bury themselves in debt in order to have everything thier hearts desire. Many a person making six figures still goes bankrupt from this type of thinking.

Old 07-12-2018, 09:28 AM

41,938 posts, read 36,935,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
I know a lot of 'Farm Apprentices' in this area. Most of them are Sustainable Ag grad students at the state university. I serve on the board of our county Cooperative Extension Service, and many of these grad students do presentations for us on their research. I also work with our regional Organic Certifying agency [the agency that originated 'Certified Organic'] and many of these same Farm Apprentices work on Certified Organic farms every summer. As far as I am aware everyone of these grad students aspires to one day own and operate their own farm.

So if one of these kids is working on my farm [here in Maine], how exactly is this 'unlikely'?

When people generally speak of living in the Northeast, they're not really talking about rural Maine or Vermont and the crowd heading to the Common Ground Country Fair each September.

Old 07-12-2018, 09:31 AM

19,603 posts, read 12,206,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SE1SG View Post
Agreed! I have zero interest in a low income, low drive, high excuse, low education, underpaid 40+ female. Not happening!! No matter what poor excuses they proclaim! No time for this BS, no time. They've had plenty of time to self-correct...
But what if she's hot? And no one needs excuses for their lives.

I swear some of you sound like you have computers for hearts.

Old 07-12-2018, 09:37 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,731,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SE1SG View Post
Agreed! I have zero interest in a low income, low drive, high excuse, low education, underpaid 40+ female. Not happening!! No matter what poor excuses they proclaim! No time for this BS, no time. They've had plenty of time to self-correct...
But that is not what DefiantNJ said at all, so how can you agree with it?

Old 07-12-2018, 12:43 PM

5,987 posts, read 10,466,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
But what if she's hot? And no one needs excuses for their lives.

I swear some of you sound like you have computers for hearts.
Would you feel the same if this were about a man with the same lack of financial success? But what if he's hot?

Old 07-12-2018, 12:53 PM

2,913 posts, read 2,442,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaoistDude View Post
Would you feel the same if this were about a man with the same lack of financial success? But what if he's hot?
Thanks, I’ve been very reluctant to mention this. I’m curious if the tables were turned how many would consider dating a 52 yo guy who works at Starbucks or McDonalds and can barely make ends meet.

Old 07-12-2018, 12:58 PM

200 posts, read 146,916 times
He'd be considered undateable by almost all women. The expectation that a man have a decent financial situation is much greater than a woman, especially at that age.

Old 07-12-2018, 01:00 PM

14,078 posts, read 16,601,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by david0966 View Post
Thanks, I’ve been very reluctant to mention this. I’m curious if the tables were turned how many would consider dating a 52 yo guy who works at Starbucks or McDonalds and can barely make ends meet.
I wouldn’t. Although I did have drinks this week with a guy in his 40s who was between jobs, but I didn’t fully realize that when I agreed to meet him. When the bill came, at first he suggested that we split it, but then when he realized that the one drink I had was only $5.50, he decided that he could afford to pay for us both after all.

Old 07-12-2018, 01:00 PM

2,913 posts, read 2,442,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
I would be more inclined to go with this line of thinking. I would rather have a woman with a menial job who does live within her means than a high paid one who does not. Career attainment is not everything and statistics beat out the reality that much of the population never does that well in this respect. Successful people tend to be aggressive type A folks and some of the traits employers seem to love in them make them horrible spouses. Aggressiveness, narcissism, self focused and a take no prisoners attitude will get you further in the work world but I would never want it in my home.

Living within ones means however is a wonderful trait, one that both partners should embrace. Make 30k a year? Simple, don’t spend more than that. Entitlement mentality leads folks to bury themselves in debt in order to have everything thier hearts desire. Many a person making six figures still goes bankrupt from this type of thinking.
30K a year!!??? You’d be living on the street making that amount in the D.C. area. The average rent for a one bedroom/one bath in a decent area is like $1600-$2000 a month. That’s not including utilities/parking, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships