Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-16-2018, 12:28 PM

11,230 posts, read 9,325,075 times

Advertisements

Oh by the way, I prefer white cars and I am definitely not "pure".

I like white cars because they're cooler in the summer, they don't show dust as much, and any kind of minor imperfections don't show up as much as with dark colors. Plus you don't get the fading of reds and metallics. Plus if you need a body repair that involves repainting it's easier to match the color and shade.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2018, 12:51 PM

1,568 posts, read 1,119,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Hondas aren't hard to work on. Where do you live? Depending on your location, you might be able to access a Mexican car shop; the guys who work at dealerships run their own home-shop in the barrio, and charge half what the dealerships do for service and body work. Brush up on your Spanish, and you could win! And btw, the barrio is also where those old beater cars you're talking about, for under $1K are around, and up for sale, if you know the right people.

Your about 15-20 years behind with that one, atleast around here. when i was looking thats the first route I took.

Old 07-16-2018, 12:58 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,124,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
And btw, the barrio is also where those old beater cars you're talking about, for under $1K are around, and up for sale, if you know the right people.
And these barrio beaters are often insured by Reebok! ¡No necesito ningún seguro! ¡Yo tengo mi Reeboks!

Old 07-16-2018, 01:17 PM

17,216 posts, read 57,078,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyphorx View Post
Like I said before I would like to thank that what a guy drives are even if a guy drives made no difference one way or the other. As long as it gets from point A to point B, or the guy lived in the area where you can get around well via public transportation. I made this whole thread based on an offhand remark the wife of a friend of mine had.
Now her wife looks like a cross between Ellen and Marcy Rhodes/Darcy and she is a whole foods/farmers market type of gal, but she comes from a family that's more like the cast of Dukes of Hazzard meets guests on Jerry Springer. But I did find a photo that shows the same vehicle as mine with middle ground. Though I still want to get a rack on top for practical reasons I've seen some online that are more minimalist but still provide the same function.
And maybe the grill guard be wider for better protection of the whole front end.
And still the matte black paint because it is much easier to keep clean LOL

Not really true. It does not look as bad dirty, but, the matte finish holds dirt, and small scratches can't be buffed out like a gloss (normal) paint would.

There are books out there on custom paint, get one and read it.

I have painted a few cars in my time, you almost have to do one paint job to really know car paint.

Old 07-16-2018, 01:22 PM

20,764 posts, read 19,972,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post

Here's another tip: use valet parking! It costs only $10-$15 for parking/tip and she doesn't have to walk as far (and neither do I). Considering our meal costs of $100-$200 the little extra is worth it. Actually I think my use of valets impresses women subliminally. I use valet service even when meeting my date at a restaurant, e.g. first date. I want my mind on my date, not where I lost my car in a multi-story parking structure.
.. I am free Friday night

Old 07-16-2018, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
Not really true. It does not look as bad dirty, but, the matte finish holds dirt, and small scratches can't be buffed out like a gloss (normal) paint would.

There are books out there on custom paint, get one and read it.

I have painted a few cars in my time, you almost have to do one paint job to really know car paint.
I agree. I noted the matte paint but guess I was too lazy to reply. Gloss paint with a good overcoat will always shed bugs and dirt better than matte anything. BTW modern vehicles are covered with a transparent, protective layer for just this reason, to shed dirt and make cleaning easier, and also to protect the color coat underneath.

In any case I think a glossy finish would look much better. I don't understand the matte preference. Matte is for camo! With camo it's often useful to add artful bits of mud and dried weeds for optimum invisibility.

Not that this driver has to worry about being invisible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
.. I am free Friday night
Interesting comment Eve! Noting we both live in L.A. Actually I checked your profile and I'd date you in a New York minute!

However I'm a retired senior and probably too old for you. I planned my retirement well and I am frugal in most respects. Dining out and live music events are my only major expenses other than normal living costs. I'm sure you know well that good restaurants are very expensive in L.A. My tabs go over $200 from time to time, and occasionally as low as $80, not including valet although the less expensive places usually have handy, free parking in the restaurant lot.

I often eat at upscale restaurants because I love turning a date into an occasion, but it's also part of my dating strategy and I tell my date to just order whatever she wants and that price is no object. I'm pretty sure women like generous men, and perhaps it's bad for me to think this way but it also makes a point of my affluence which reassures women they are not dating a penniless bum.

Compare my restaurant choices with "dining" at Arby's or that Scottish place and what impression that would make!

I cook a lot at home on dateless days. I'm a gourmet amateur chef. Cooking at home is cheep, cheep, cheep!

Last edited by Lovehound; 07-16-2018 at 01:41 PM..

Old 07-16-2018, 02:16 PM

52,263 posts, read 52,686,640 times
I'm rolling deep in my Scion xB. Chicks dig me cause I'm frugal.

I figured I'd answer even though I'm not a woman. I've never met women that really cared all that much about a guy's car, as long as it wasn't a junker and it basically was clean and taken care of. No one wants to ride around in a crapbucket like the way Ricky from the Trailer Park Boys rolls.

Old 07-16-2018, 02:57 PM

I think women respect men who are money smart. I'm frugal too most of the time, and save extravagance for special occasions. I respect money savvy women too!

I'd rather like a Tesla model X, only $75K. I've heard if you max the pedal that it's impossible to touch the dashboard!

Old 07-17-2018, 02:13 AM

23,652 posts, read 13,992,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
I'm a Texan. In Texas, a large percentage of the time when the "rugged pickup truck" pulls up, who climbs out of it is a 5'2" 95 lb. woman with silver hair and high heels.

If your needs as to hauling stuff dictate owning a pickup truck, and if the deficiencies in handling and fuel economy aren't an issue, then just go buy a darn pickup truck. Your manliness or lack thereof has nothing - zero, zippo, zilch, nada - to do with it.
Well, that's not quite me but an added nicety I have found of the Forester, my Forester, is ............

....................... that taller is better.

It's about 100+ yards, I guess, from the garage to the road on the ranch. Come the eve of trash day, I wrangle the bin length wise into the back, hold its lid in place with means, and drive it up to the road on my way out to work.

Sure, I could probably put it in the bed of the F-250 but aside from the point that it is not meant for daily commutes, there is just point of trying lift the bin over my heart level into the truck. It is a lot easier to get it into the Subaru.

Old 07-17-2018, 03:53 PM

1,568 posts, read 1,119,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
I agree. I noted the matte paint but guess I was too lazy to reply. Gloss paint with a good overcoat will always shed bugs and dirt better than matte anything. BTW modern vehicles are covered with a transparent, protective layer for just this reason, to shed dirt and make cleaning easier, and also to protect the color coat underneath.

In any case I think a glossy finish would look much better. I don't understand the matte preference. Matte is for camo! With camo it's often useful to add artful bits of mud and dried weeds for optimum invisibility.

Not that this driver has to worry about being invisible.

Well years ago I dated someone who was into the whole doomsday prepper scene, most of the groups she hung with were also into the whole 4X4 thing I noticed the vehicles with glossy paint would look all smudged and nasty rather quickly going through the trails compared to the vehicles with a matte or powder coat finish. also maybe it's just in my head but the matte and powder coat fit the look better.

I'm not into the camo or forrest green, but black pulls off the look well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships