Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2018, 02:04 PM

16,961 posts, read 17,337,436 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
I am getting an "Overcompensating for Perceived Inadequacies" vibe myself, unless the guy was into off-road rallying at night. Why all the spotlights?
Whenever I see numerous spotlights on trucks/SUV's I think of deer poaching from the road.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2018, 02:31 PM
RJ_

743 posts, read 392,413 times
If you're going to to make a real impression with a car, you sort of need to have one that isn't common. If it's a car you see all day long on the road, no one will notice or care. However, if you have an Aston Martin, Bentley, Ferrari, Lambo or other type of super car, you'll turn heads almost every time, just because they look so exotic. Same thing is true of people. Chris Hemsworth and Henry Cavill are going to turn heads 99% of the time because they stand out from the crowd. Neither of those guys are famous because they're great actors, they're famous because everyone likes to look at them and movie producers know that.

Old 07-11-2018, 02:34 PM

8,923 posts, read 7,719,216 times
Doesn't have to be a benz, BMW, audi, etc.

As long as it looks presentable, clean, isn't loud, and runs/drives well.

The car in the pic wouldn't bother me. Spot lights are odd though.

Old 07-11-2018, 03:10 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,425,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
If that's what you really like, and you want a woman who likes it too, go for it. But personally, I would be put off by it. Without wishing to be insulting, the customizing you're suggesting does seem a little tacky to me. I'm sure there are girls who would like that kind of thing, but only you can decide if they are the type of girls you want to be with or not.

My brother is really into cars, but he spends his time and money on improving the mechanical functionality of the car, making it faster or more efficient, etc. I would be more impressed by that than some superficial lights, spoilers, decals, and trendy matte finish - to me, that screams of vanity and I would lose interest immediately. I'm 36 - you may be younger - but I have always felt this way, even in my teens and 20s. For what it's worth, my husband's only interest in customizing cars is electronic - the gadgetry (and he is not a Millennial).
My brother calls this 'driving through auto zone with the crap-magnet on full power.'

Old 07-11-2018, 03:20 PM

2,704 posts, read 1,830,445 times
If you want to cast a wide net, to be attractive to many women, then it is better to appear mainstream and as "normal" as possible, IMO. However, if you are looking for one very specific type of person, then you can be as eccentric as you want to be and patiently wait to meet that very special person. The more you limit your options, the more likely it is you will remain alone, unless you just get lucky.

Old 07-11-2018, 03:25 PM

813 posts, read 600,775 times
I disagree with just about everyone else who has replied. It's your car! Do what YOU want! Trying to impress women never works, they can smell desperation...

Sheesh! If you listened to every butt-whole on the internet we would all drive Silver Prius's while wearing bicycle helmets and safety vests.

Good luck, Rg

Old 07-11-2018, 03:36 PM

10,214 posts, read 17,869,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ_ View Post
If you're going to to make a real impression with a car, you sort of need to have one that isn't common. If it's a car you see all day long on the road, no one will notice or care. However, if you have an Aston Martin, Bentley, Ferrari, Lambo or other type of super car, you'll turn heads almost every time, just because they look so exotic. Same thing is true of people. Chris Hemsworth and Henry Cavill are going to turn heads 99% of the time because they stand out from the crowd. Neither of those guys are famous because they're great actors, they're famous because everyone likes to look at them and movie producers know that.
You really don't need a car that makes an impression. I mean, if you're trying to make an impression, sure, that will achieve it - but that's not what most women are looking for, unless they are gold diggers or something.

I once dated a guy with a BMW and he was the biggest jerk of a driver because he thought anyone with a cheaper car than his was inferior to him and anyone with a more expensive car than his he practically worshiped. I eventually dumped him, for a number of reasons, but that was one of them. It taught me a lot about what to really value and look for in a man. I decided I didn't want to be with someone who valued human beings based on the monetary worth of their car. That doesn't mean I wouldn't date someone who drove an expensive car, but I was certainly careful to watch how that may or may not have influenced his ego. However, dating a guy with a normal car, I knew I wouldn't really have to worry about that as much.

I would much rather a man impress me with his character than his car.

Old 07-11-2018, 03:42 PM

10,214 posts, read 17,869,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raggedjim View Post
I disagree with just about everyone else who has replied. It's your car! Do what YOU want! Trying to impress women never works, they can smell desperation...

Sheesh! If you listened to every butt-whole on the internet we would all drive Silver Prius's while wearing bicycle helmets and safety vests.

Good luck, Rg
I did actually say pretty much that: "If that's what you really like, and you want a woman who likes it too, go for it."

But the guy asked for our opinions, so that's what he's getting. He's still free to do whatever he pleases.

Old 07-11-2018, 03:51 PM

9,372 posts, read 6,973,951 times
Subaru Forester will attract outdoorsy camper girls. A nice space to play in!

Old 07-11-2018, 03:52 PM

30,902 posts, read 32,995,285 times
I don't really like the mod shown as it looks like a total "bro" car, like the "extreeeeeeeme! Duuuuuuude!" guys in Harold & Kumar Go to White Castle who revved their fat engine everywhere and picked on the Quickee-Mart guy. But take that FWIW as I am not your target demographic, OP, as far as I know. My opinion may not count, in that regard.

But yeah, I'd be a little turned off. I'd immediately be thinking "Calm down, I get it, you're a guy".

I agree that you don't really need to work on your car, unless you're planning on approaching women from your car window, which would just be...ugh. I'm sure not...right? Work on your home. Make that more inviting. And work on figuring out how to get about during the day, if at all possible. You're acting/looking forbidding in these ways, even though personality-wise I don't believe you are. Work on getting out there, not just in the middle of the night and not just on the bike. There are other things that are going to be so much more important than the car. You know this because if they weren't important you'd already have that girlfriend, right? They are...just listen to us...we do know that much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships