Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2018, 09:22 PM

1,058 posts, read 675,615 times

Advertisements

I think "growing apart" is the safest, acceptable answer.

They could've grown back together if they wanted to, but they didn't.

It does take two ya know. She can't have a relationship all by herself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2018, 10:48 PM

777 posts, read 452,196 times
While "growing apart" seems to be a safe and socially acceptable answer for a lot of people, for some it is code for "I cheated and got caught. But I am not going to blame the end of the relationship on my cheating, because that might make me look bad. So I will say we grew apart. Should the cheating come to light, I will blame the cheating on having "grown apart" and not my own skullduggery. So I am not really lying".

But maybe I am a touch too cynical.

Old 07-16-2018, 11:54 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,543,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann Onn View Post
While "growing apart" seems to be a safe and socially acceptable answer for a lot of people, for some it is code for "I cheated and got caught. But I am not going to blame the end of the relationship on my cheating, because that might make me look bad. So I will say we grew apart. Should the cheating come to light, I will blame the cheating on having "grown apart" and not my own skullduggery. So I am not really lying".

I think it's probably true that people DO often cheat as a result of feeling they've grown apart from their partners/outgrown their relationship. And I say this as somebody who was cheated on in a long-term relationship once upon a time. Whether or not that's a really appropriate, respectful way to proceed when one feels they've grown apart from a partner, versus, say, ending things first, is of course another story. People who feel very content and in-tune with their partners don't, as a rule, cheat, though.

Old 07-17-2018, 12:02 AM

5,429 posts, read 4,455,055 times
It does not really tell you anything, but at least her children are already adults. Adult children often resent it when their parents date someone new, but in a long term relationship, dealing with adult children from a previous relationship is still way better than dealing with children under 18.

Old 07-17-2018, 10:15 AM

49,932 posts, read 59,901,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann Onn View Post

Just a touch ...

I mean, that's NOT the standard translation.

It's more of a way of saying, "Of course there is more to the story, but it's too soon to get into all that now so I will just say ... we grew apart."

Otherwise you'll be characterized as one of those crazy people with diarrhea of the mouth who opens up her baggage at the dinner table and throws it all around the room.

Old 07-17-2018, 10:36 AM

15,013 posts, read 21,642,088 times
Not concerning for me. I mean, later on I might want to know more details of what happened, but it wouldn't deter me from getting to know this person.

Old 07-17-2018, 10:46 AM

20,726 posts, read 16,352,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrah View Post
I guess my question would be, "What did she learn from that?" A long term marriage takes effort to maintain. If she didn't learn that each partner has to put in the time, even just a few minutes a day, that would be concerning to me.

Her stating that he traveled a lot and blaming that for becoming strangers makes me wonder if she did learn.
Awfully judgey, especially for a first date. Lots of things wouldn't be enough to overcome too much travel...

I'd be insulted - what if he had an affair out on the road...what would she have learned? Not to marry someone who travels a lot?

Old 07-17-2018, 11:00 AM

2,718 posts, read 5,356,415 times
The "no reason to be together anymore" sounds like they had issues for a long time but stayed together until the kids were grown and out of the house.

Old 07-17-2018, 11:11 AM

7,400 posts, read 6,365,800 times
"Grew apart" is pretty apt when asked about my first marriage. Sure, I *could* delve into the whys and other circumstances, but that was typically reserved for conversations specifically about relationships, and usually with dates or interests that were moving forward.

Old 07-17-2018, 11:45 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,543,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post

It's more of a way of saying, "Of course there is more to the story, but it's too soon to get into all that now so I will just say ... we grew apart."
Or, "We grew apart...[because of these very specific, divisive life occurrences, etc....and because of that, I looked elsewhere, and did so before I ended the relationship]." Yeah, nobody's going to frankly cop to that with most people...but it happens all the time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships