Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2018, 08:57 AM

52,263 posts, read 52,686,640 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
I think some folks don't think it through. Like you have the image of someone who works in a very labor intensive job that is dependent on some local resource or company, like a warehouse or plant or mining operation or something...and not only is it intensely physically demanding, breaking your potential partner's body, and possibly dangerous, but also job security is depending on that plant or warehouse or mine, which could one day close... THAT kind of blue collar work, which takes a heavy toll and is not job-secure, might be something a person would find of questionable merit.

Previous generations could depend on that kind of work...but the modern economy has put its practicality on shaky ground. So the folks who take those jobs might just be desperate for work, or they aren't very good at long term planning and big picture thinking.

But your plumbers and electricians and welders and mechanics? Skilled trades that are always needed and offer mobility and job security like that? A smart office worker won't be judging them negatively. I would guess anybody who does is just looking for reasons to feel superior to others. Some people are like that.

The problem with a lot of people is that they don't understand the big picture. They also let ego and other BS get in the way of understanding things. Not to get all Buda here but everything in life usually has some balance and fits with other things, a Ying and Yang of sorts, you can't have one independent of the other in many cases, just loosely speaking here.

I work in the HVAC field which is basically air conditioning. This field is massively wide and can contain people from all walks and disciplines. The point I'm making is that no one is better than the other at the end of the day. You have engineers design and plan things out, you've got people on the other end of things that do the installing of piping, duct work, the electrical installation, the refrigeration side, all of these various disciplines are all required to make things happen.

No one piece is really better than the other, at least in the broader sense. I mean if you got people designing it but no one to build it and vice versa where a are you left, You're left with nothing and in the summer time a real case of swamp azz

People get stupid and egoic about formal education. I say that as a guy that is a HUGE proponent of education, formal and self-taught, I almost respect the self taught folks more, but maybe that is my ego poking it's head out.

Like I post earlier in this thread intellectual curiosity and openness to learning are far far more important than someone who may have just sat in class and was able to memorize enough to do a data dump for a test. You have those students and you have the ones that strive to really understand what they are studying, so it goes both ways.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2018, 09:29 AM

20,390 posts, read 14,661,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
The problem with a lot of people is that they don't understand the big picture. They also let ego and other BS get in the way of understanding things. Not to get all Buda here but everything in life usually has some balance and fits with other things, a Ying and Yang of sorts, you can't have one independent of the other in many cases, just loosely speaking here.

I work in the HVAC field which is basically air conditioning. This field is massively wide and can contain people from all walks and disciplines. The point I'm making is that no one is better than the other at the end of the day. You have engineers design and plan things out, you've got people on the other end of things that do the installing of piping, duct work, the electrical installation, the refrigeration side, all of these various disciplines are all required to make things happen.

No one piece is really better than the other, at least in the broader sense. I mean if you got people designing it but no one to build it and vice versa where a are you left, You're left with nothing and in the summer time a real case of swamp azz

People get stupid and egoic about formal education. I say that as a guy that is a HUGE proponent of education, formal and self-taught, I almost respect the self taught folks more, but maybe that is my ego poking it's head out.

Like I post earlier in this thread intellectual curiosity and openness to learning are far far more important than someone who may have just sat in class and was able to memorize enough to do a data dump for a test. You have those students and you have the ones that strive to really understand what they are studying, so it goes both ways.
Yep. I totally agree, and I mentioned intellectual curiosity, too.

I also sent my oldest off to learn to be a welder, and he's got a job lined up when he finishes his training. Believe you me, I appreciate the value of trade work. And as someone who did go to college, knowing and seeing how other students seemed to be getting by, doing the work, data dumping for the tests, and yet not necessarily exhibiting a ton of real cognitive growth...college just isn't the end-all, be-all of educating oneself. Unfortunately some careers require the credentials "on paper" to prove you supposedly know what you're doing...but ya know, ask somebody who has a degree from decades ago, how much did they retain, really? If they didn't keep using and growing that knowledge, probably not much.

My Mom has a Masters, she went to school mostly because it was something she could do and she couldn't really hold down a job, and she was living off of student loans and grants and such, she will never in her lifetime pay back her student loans and she has no ability to get a job in the field she studied. Her degree is useless. And I find that in order to even have your education count for your career path, you have to combine it with professional experience.

I choose to involve people in my life who appear to make good choices. Having a formal education does not mean that someone does. Lacking a formal education, doesn't mean that someone does not.

Old 07-19-2018, 09:47 AM

1,568 posts, read 1,119,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
Formal education such as an advanced college degree, no, that doesn't matter to me.

My partner needs to have an active and curious mind, though. He needs to appreciate learning for its own sake.

But I know a man who does not hesitate to let everybody know he's got a PhD and he is very condescending and thinks he knows more than everyone. It's very annoying. He behaves as though he's got nothing more to learn, and other people's voices are never as important as his own, because he is just so very educated. I don't even like to be around him. And honestly his people-smarts are really not that good, and he does not always act with common sense (such as drinking and driving for instance.) I mean it's great that he is very educated, and I respect the dedication and hard work it took for him to get there, but in many ways it's still difficult to respect the man.

Whatever his level of education, I prefer that my partner have sound financial habits. Which means stable employment and living within your means, whatever your means may be.

^^This^^
we live in an age where all human knowledge can be accessed through our phones. I know many dumb people who have degree's(learned just enough to past tests) and some of the most intelligent/talented people I've met was during my brief time as a prison guard(intellect + ambition - opportunity = prison).
And many who have the most interesting formal educations who studied the most fascinating subjects are often working at your local starbucks, and sadly many that require a potential mate to have a formal education view those people as having worthless degree's even though they more often have a broader base of knowledge than the people who judge their chosen degree. But imagine if history, art and social science majors were the bulk of those holding public office as opposed to legal and business majors,....... maybe we would not keep repeating the bad parts of history over and over.

Old 07-19-2018, 01:03 PM

2,335 posts, read 4,151,341 times
My wife has a PhD and she is one of the most uninformed people I know. She never watches the news and has no idea what's going on in the world. She prefers it that way and that's fine with me.

I have a HS diploma and some technical training after HS, some college but no degree. This morning a member of my staff assisted a Harvard MBA with a problem with the docking station for her laptop. It wasn't plugged in.

Education is fine but if I were looking for a mate I'd want her FICO score before anything!

Old 07-19-2018, 01:10 PM

2,241 posts, read 1,476,460 times
Intellect over all else. Degree or not, I want her to be able to hold a conversation about various topics, whether we agree on them or not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships