Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2018, 08:24 AM

5,573 posts, read 3,348,858 times

Advertisements

The statement is false if it's ever not true, so obviously it's false. If it's mean to convey the idea that in most cases you know right away, I don't think we can answer that, and in any case it wouldn't matter. If 83% of people say "yes", I know right away or within a date or two whether there's any possibility of a serious connection, and I'm in the 17% that's not true for, then what?

As an aside, singaporelady, you seem to think about a lot of scenarios that make dating and romance difficult. It's all over your posting history. I wonder if you'd be happier looking at all the ways ordinary looking women with modest incomes find good relationships that make them happy, rather than all the speculation about why things may not work.

The other thing I'd add is that women in particular are told to give men a chance, often to the detriment of those women who act on that advice and the men who they give a chance to. I understand anyone's resistance to that idea, but particularly if it's been preached to you. I know a very happy couple, though, who 10 years ago proclaimed that they'd know right away, but in their case it didn't work out that way. He actively disliked her when they met, and she was indifferent to him. Until their feelings changed. That may be rare, and it may have not happened for them if things hadn't fallen into place just so, but they did and they're together and happy. For what it's worth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2018, 08:25 AM

3,564 posts, read 1,923,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RbccL View Post
The "flaws" are characteristics that I don't like and wont overlook. Some people like Trump supporters, or guys who know what they mostly have going for them is stuff they own, so those things aren't deal breakers for them, they'll still be able to click, but they are for me. So I know. I'm not giving them a day, week, or 10 years, so there's no growing on me, no chance to click.

I will concede that these are people I know will fall into the definite "NO" category.
Sure
And they aren't what the thread is about

Quote:
There are other things that may be variable. One day the guy has really bad breath, but I liked him. I might get close enough another time to see if he still had that deal breaker for the day.
I don't think it's this either

Old 07-20-2018, 08:30 AM

10,341 posts, read 5,867,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homina12 View Post
The statement is false if it's ever not true, so obviously it's false. If it's mean to convey the idea that in most cases you know right away, I don't think we can answer that, and in any case it wouldn't matter. If 83% of people say "yes", I know right away or within a date or two whether there's any possibility of a serious connection, and I'm in the 17% that's not true for, then what?
This I can agree with.

Old 07-20-2018, 09:12 AM

6,844 posts, read 3,961,640 times
Logical fallacy...your reasoning. You say if it is not 100% true it must be false. The way I see it if it's not 100% false it can be true. You are pretty good at making up your own logic and pretending its true. Also pretty good at hijacking the thread. With your air of arrogance and superiority you probably fool a few people, for a few minutes. You must knock the ladies out with your logic, or bore them to death. I'm ready to shoot myself just reading a few of your posts..
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBeisbol View Post
Logical fallacy?

Anyway, we can guess what the OP meant. What the OP said was is this true or false

Last edited by bobspez; 07-20-2018 at 09:30 AM..

Old 07-20-2018, 09:58 AM

3,564 posts, read 1,923,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobspez View Post
Logical fallacy...your reasoning. You say if it is not 100% true it must be false. The way I see it if it's not 100% false it can be true. You are pretty good at making up your own logic and pretending its true.
Interesting, since you've created your own definition for a logical fallacy

Quote:
I'm ready to shoot myself just reading a few of your posts..
Says nothing about me
But something about you

Old 07-20-2018, 04:37 PM

2,916 posts, read 3,001,526 times
Depends on "why" it's not happening.

If the other person is clearly drawn to you and 'wants it' but is being careful, that's great. If they don't seem to be struggling much with holding out, that's not a good sign long-term.

I'd also add that one's personal history makes a big difference. A party girl that was very....uh....liberated in her youth is fine. However, if she suddenly tries to become more pious when it's time to find a LTR, back away.

Old 07-20-2018, 10:29 PM

2,704 posts, read 1,831,416 times
I don't know if it is a gender thing or just the pattern in my own life but I personally open up to people slowly. The best relationships for me have been with men who have pursued me earnestly. They had their foot on the gas pedal while I had my foot on the brake to slow them down.

I never encountered a man who wanted to move slower than me. If I did, I would probably think he wasn't into me.

Old 07-20-2018, 11:26 PM

1,869 posts, read 1,827,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homina12 View Post

As an aside, singaporelady, you seem to think about a lot of scenarios that make dating and romance difficult. It's all over your posting history. I wonder if you'd be happier looking at all the ways ordinary looking women with modest incomes find good relationships that make them happy, rather than all the speculation about why things may not work.

The other thing I'd add is that women in particular are told to give men a chance, often to the detriment of those women who act on that advice and the men who they give a chance to. I understand anyone's resistance to that idea, but particularly if it's been preached to you. I know a very happy couple, though, who 10 years ago proclaimed that they'd know right away, but in their case it didn't work out that way. He actively disliked her when they met, and she was indifferent to him. Until their feelings changed. That may be rare, and it may have not happened for them if things hadn't fallen into place just so, but they did and they're together and happy. For what it's worth.
So what is the answer ? If I had the answer would I be on this forum ?

Old 07-21-2018, 12:06 AM

11,023 posts, read 5,989,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgn2013 View Post
I'd also add that one's personal history makes a big difference. A party girl that was very....uh....liberated in her youth is fine. However, if she suddenly tries to become more pious when it's time to find a LTR, back away.
I had a girlfriend like that. I backed away! I didn't care about her past - I cared about her being
'pious' with me. I gave her enough opportunity to get 'unpious' then I baled.

Old 07-21-2018, 10:01 AM

18 posts, read 18,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by singaporelady View Post
A friend made this comment. Wonder what are your opinion on this ?

I personally agree with this.

I was wondering the same thing. I am rising junior in college and I haven't dated any girls yet although I have a lot of friends who are female and I hope one of them would ultimately lead to romance. I'm not gay or anything, just haven't yet done it. But you might be right. My roommate hit it off with a girl the first week of freshman year and they have dated intensely for two school years. He is more into that sort of thing than me so I really don't know yet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships