Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-15-2018, 11:51 AM

37,223 posts, read 60,940,482 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
... As for the wedding, I want to try and follow a few guidelines I've thought of...

- Not too expensive.
- Not boring.
- Not stressful.
- No uncomfortable shoes allowed.
I have officiated at a bunch of weddings where it was located in a city park [often near a water feature] and included a BBQ party at the family home afterward.

Extremely low expense [I never charged for doing those weddings, I found that at the reception if I danced at all, there are always relatives who want to 'tip' the minister. I made more from the tips then I would have if I had charged for the ceremony], and low stress.

Wedding party photos with the water feature in the background usually come out well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2018, 09:55 PM

11,096 posts, read 7,837,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
You shouldn't bring your dates home to meet your kids willy nilly. Only do it if you think that they may be a keeper and you have been dating a good while.
Never name your kids Willy and Nilly.

Old 08-17-2018, 06:44 AM

7,759 posts, read 3,828,820 times
Everything.

Old 08-22-2018, 07:46 AM

14,169 posts, read 22,583,485 times
Most people these days are too immature for marriage.

Single mothers and women with eight or more previous sex partners are categorically disqualified.

A man with a harem cannot be trusted.

You have to like the person you love in order to have a serious relationship or a stable marriage.

Three is a crowd.

Traditional gender roles exist for a good reason.

Another name for toxic masculinity is radical feminism.

The real problem with men these days is toxic androgyny.

LG, you're fine. BTQIA et al, seek professional help.

A man who hates the garage is useless, as is a woman who hates the kitchen.

Contemporary wedding culture is ostentatious and grotesque.

A happy family or a thriving career: Choose one, ladies!

Show me an open marriage, and I'll show you a pointless marriage.

A woman who falsely accuses a man of rape or domestic violence deserves punishment correspondent to said crimes.

Right-leaning people are generally better at marriage and relationships than left-leaning people.

Old 08-27-2018, 03:43 AM

15,408 posts, read 6,151,395 times
This is based on counter-intuitive outside the box thinking, but makes perfect sense. I think a perfect first date can be a curse in disguise. How do you improve from perfect? You don't. Unrealistic expectations then often occur, sinking the relationship. I know several married people that did not have a real good first date, but each one was a little better than the last one as they got to know each other.

Old 08-27-2018, 03:46 AM

15,408 posts, read 6,151,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craziaskowboi View Post
Most people these days are too immature for marriage.

Single mothers and women with eight or more previous sex partners are categorically disqualified.

A man with a harem cannot be trusted.

You have to like the person you love in order to have a serious relationship or a stable marriage.

Three is a crowd.

Traditional gender roles exist for a good reason.

Another name for toxic masculinity is radical feminism.

The real problem with men these days is toxic androgyny.

LG, you're fine. BTQIA et al, seek professional help.

A man who hates the garage is useless, as is a woman who hates the kitchen.

Contemporary wedding culture is ostentatious and grotesque.

A happy family or a thriving career: Choose one, ladies!

Show me an open marriage, and I'll show you a pointless marriage.

A woman who falsely accuses a man of rape or domestic violence deserves punishment correspondent to said crimes.

Right-leaning people are generally better at marriage and relationships than left-leaning people.
Lol. As to your last sentence, Donald Trump has divorced twice and has a trophy wife mentality, while Barack Obama has remained married to the same woman. Bill and Hillary Clinton are still married. Ronald Reagan divorced his first wife. Your third sentence saying to like the person you love is spot on, though! Also agree with your first sentence.

Last edited by chessgeek; 08-27-2018 at 03:57 AM..

Old 08-28-2018, 11:29 PM

111 posts, read 29,570 times
Wait until honeymoon.

Old 08-29-2018, 12:23 AM

24,181 posts, read 9,112,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
My unpopular opinion: divorce isn't a bad thing. If two people gave it a shot and no longer want to be married, that's not shameful or even a failure, necessarily.
Divorce can be bad for kids, but otherwise you are 100% correct.

Old 08-29-2018, 12:41 AM

24,181 posts, read 9,112,004 times
My opinion for unpopular takes:

- Americans have babies way too early and are are so impatient/wreckless to have them.

- The average single american man and woman is very delusional with that they think they deserve, or they're too impatient to wait for it.

- Americans don't work things out anymore, they breakup or divorce at the first sign of trouble

- In society most women expect men to make the first move, yet the men that do so are sometimes accused of unwanted contact. Something has to give. Society should no longer expect men to make the first move if men have proven they can't do it correctly or without taking advantage of it.

- Expensive weddings and engagement rings are 100% worthless.

- No one is ever 100% honest with their spouse/significant, people tell white lies everyday

- Marriage should only be done if you plan to have kids with the person. Stop doing it for the money, prestige, and tax benefits.

- Condom use for premartial sex should be mandatory. We know have super gonorrhea and other STDs because we humans just went crazy

- A man who abandons his family (by not visiting or paying child support) should be thrown in jail immediately.

- If a person can self-dentify as a member of the opposite sex, then black people should be allowed to self-identify as white people and vice versa

- Women should not be allowed to accept a drink, ride, good gesture, or anything of value from a man unless they are 100% interested in them. And if it doesn't work out, the woman should promptly return those gifts.

Old 08-29-2018, 02:41 AM

23,439 posts, read 13,670,592 times
GEEE-eeee, I don't know off the top of my head, probably because dates are few and far in between.

In my last set of dates, it was noticed that I don't drink in public. Long story short, it is both 8 hours bottle to throttle in that I don't drink and drive but also when someone else is driving, I don't want to wake up the next morning wondering if what I did last night was party energy or alcohol.

Okay, belly dancing is my life but one of the problems of taking one's date to a belly dancing show is that if they are not use to it, the sensual nature of the dance can be very unnerving to them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships