Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2018, 06:20 AM

1,568 posts, read 1,118,485 times

Advertisements

I saw an interesting lecture/film last night it was on the science of attraction but one part was a test where they used 100 4x5 randomly generated cards with women of all shapes, sizes, facial feature, races, etc etc in bikini's and males in speedo's for the female sample group. The people in the group would arrange the photos across a square table left to right working down top left being most attractive, 50 people would get the same random 100 cards to arrange, after the test another 100 cards were generated without any of the previous 100 in the new 100 cards. they did this with several sample groups, and with every iteration of the test for both males and females an average of 10(some more some less) would end up in the top 20 of the majority of the group. admittedly a slightly higher majority for the male test groups, but women still showed a pattern. (what I found interesting is the ones that were viewed as attractive by the widest range for both male and female tended to have a racially ambiguous look I'm surprised that was not mentioned).

But anyway beauty has pretty much been mapped down to a mathematical equation, proportion of features, body parts etc etc.. but people still say " beauty is in the eye of the beholder " even though there are certain physical traits that more people are going to be hard wired to be attracted to.

And yes no matter who you are there is someone who thinks your hot, but if its such a small % of the population it does you no good(unless you get lucky).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2018, 06:58 AM

378 posts, read 230,041 times
Because they speak in more of the realm of philosophy than evolutionary biology.

Old 02-24-2018, 07:11 AM

22,284 posts, read 21,718,518 times
"Beauty" includes your perception of the whole person, not their outward appearance. So it doesn't really apply to total strangers.

However, let's look at the standard of beauty you apply to the video game creatures you create. Most people are turned off by the anorexic, tattooed, barely clothed meth addict-type people you draw, but to you, the beholder, they are beautiful. So you are your own example.

Old 02-24-2018, 07:25 AM

4,005 posts, read 2,080,730 times
They say it about art too. Some think the painting is ugly and off-putting while others think it is beautiful and intriguing. Same with people. We would all agree that the same person or painting is beautiful if the concept of beauty could boil down to a mathematic equation. Ive listened to some math based music, and was not impressed.

A few things cultures do for beauty:

Put skinny girls in cages and feed them tapioca until they become fat girls and suitable for marriage, because fat girls are beautiful in that culture. Fat forms where it wants to in the body, so one cannot apply theories of proportion to it.

Put rings around a child's neck as it grows to elongate the neck because long necks are beautiful in that culture.

Wrap a child's head to elongate the skull as it grows because looking similar to Sigourney Weaver's Alien is beautiful in that culture.

None of this means that every man presented with a fat wife that has an elongated neck and skull is going to think she is beautiful.

Old 02-24-2018, 07:37 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,553,761 times
Because you're speaking solely about physical attraction to visual appearance.

That's only one piece of the overall attraction package.

Old 02-24-2018, 08:38 AM

23,171 posts, read 26,184,870 times
For most of us from birth, the Miss "whatever" beauty pageants have instilled in us a standard of beauty so it's not surprising that based on photos alone, the ones most closely conforming to that would get the most votes even if, in real life, something non-conforming might attract us more.

Old 02-24-2018, 09:36 AM

1,568 posts, read 1,118,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
"Beauty" includes your perception of the whole person, not their outward appearance. So it doesn't really apply to total strangers.

However, let's look at the standard of beauty you apply to the video game creatures you create. Most people are turned off by the anorexic, tattooed, barely clothed meth addict-type people you draw, but to you, the beholder, they are beautiful. So you are your own example.
For one I don't create anorexic creatures for my vids. they are thin yes, fit and toned but not anorexic.

Note below the one on the right is the type I typically create lean toned and otherwise healthy, turn on the Olympics and you will see female gymnasts,runners and cyclists with similar builds. The one on the left would be what an actual anorexic looks like(and the only anorexic I ever designed to show the difference because I got tired of women calling my models anorexic) someone who does not consume enough calories to feed their muscles.
HUGE DIFFERENCE!!!

But anyway liking tatts, punky vs clean cut girls or guys is a matter of personal taste but there are physical traits that transcend.

take the alt-beauty movement, like for instance "suicide girls" take away the piercings, tattoos and wild colored hair and you have the same universal physical traits as traditional models, some woman on youtube called it "punk rock barbie" (though that girl was angry because she felt her scene got invaded once it got trendy and the rich pretty girls started showing up to the clubs she went to).

Old 02-24-2018, 09:42 AM

27,074 posts, read 11,846,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Because you're speaking solely about physical attraction to visual appearance.

That's only one piece of the overall attraction package.

This....

overall package wins out.

Old 02-24-2018, 09:47 AM

8,793 posts, read 8,159,631 times
The most beautiful woman I know has been described by others as average looking. OK, that's their opinions. But what they don't see is the smiles she gives to me, the flash in her eyes when she looks my way, or the great intelligence that shines through when she beats me at scrabble - or the deeper smile when she rubs it in. They don't see the free spirit that stirs my soul.

They don't see how she looks when she has dressed up and put on (or taken off) make-up in a covert acknowledgement of my tastes in styles.

While I have noted her flaws in skin and the slightly off symmetry in her face and other little things, these slights don't detract from her overall presence and beauty.

She is the most beautiful woman in the world, and probably will always be. Nobody else' definition of beauty matters to me.

Old 02-24-2018, 11:05 AM

235 posts, read 148,413 times
If you take it literally then yeah you will be like WTF. But the philosophical ones or the ones who had an epiphany of what REAL beauty means, it's really not rocket science.

I can say though, most people have a fugly perception of my face including my family bahaaha a-holes. But fast forward to me going to a different country and BAM! I'm exotic and hot commodity. Weird.

Like, we are brown skinned and our (or rather their) perception of beauty is pale white skin, WTF right? And here, I'm like ooh lalala natural tan

People are weird. I have to say though. While tanning salons were a trend here, in my country it's skin whiteners. Crazy huh? I myself gave in to it, for awhile until i was like Fck it. I do like my skin, unlike Michael Jackson and that weirdo baseball guy I forgot his name. That's nuts. I thought only MJ was born black and died a white man,
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships