Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What is the best way to handle a response when you receive a Dating Message from someone you are not
Totally ignore them 21 46.67%
Send a thoughtfully worded response to let them down. 19 42.22%
Send an insult to crush them and make sure they won't try to contact you again. 1 2.22%
I don't know how to handle this. I guess it depends on the first message. 7 15.56%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2018, 07:30 PM

8,793 posts, read 8,153,975 times

Advertisements

What do you think is the best way to handle a response. What are your reasons?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2018, 03:34 PM

12,101 posts, read 17,077,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blktoptrvl View Post
I voted for send a thoughtful note.

Of course, when I did OLD, I only got one message sent to me and I responded and we went on a couple of dates. That was over the course of a year and half I think.

If you're a woman who literally gets dozens and dozens of messages, then it's a little different.

Since you posted this in the Philosophy forum, the 'thoughtful' answer to your question is that in romance, like in life ... you either sacrifice or you take, and it's always a struggle to figure out a balance.

For me, it was easy. I didn't get any messages I needed to rebut, but if I did, I could have spent two hours writing a thoughtful let down to each one, and it would have only been a positive impact on my life.

If you're a woman that gets 10 messages a day and you spend 2 minutes each responding to each one, you're making the world a better place ... perhaps, but its at the expense of a half an hour of your day.

Actual relationships are fraught with these kinds of ambiguities. This action or path will make your partner happier, but you suspect it will make yourself unhappier.

Maybe you stay with your wife/husband for 30 years because you make them happy or because they need you, physically or emotionally, but deep down you suspect you might be happier with someone else. Either way, it's a life choice. As are infidelity and staying faithful.

There's many more instances of this in life outside of romance.

But it all goes back to your philosophy on life. What are you hoping to bring to this world.

Perhaps a deep answer to a simple question, but you asked for it posting in here...

Old 07-21-2018, 06:36 PM

1,505 posts, read 1,809,103 times
I did respond to messages of substance when I was online. If I weren't interested, I would say "Thank you for your message. I have read your profile and don't think we would be compatible." I never got a nasty response. Although it was online, he deserved a nice response. I did not respond to flirts or one or two words messages.

Old 07-21-2018, 06:47 PM

777 posts, read 451,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blondiel View Post
I did respond to messages of substance when I was online. If I weren't interested, I would say "Thank you for your message. I have read your profile and don't think we would be compatible." I never got a nasty response. Although it was online, he deserved a nice response. I did not respond to flirts or one or two words messages.
Agree with this.

If someone put some thought into a message, indicating they'd read my profile, but I wasn't at all interested, a polite turndown was in order. But most of the time, I was willing to meet someone, even if I didn't find their profile compelling, if they put some thought into their original message to me, and was willing to chat for a couple days, and then actually meet, given no obnoxious red flags during the chats. I've met men more attractive than I originally suspected from profile pics.

But when it's obviously cut and paste, play the numbers, one or two word messages? Depended on how bored I was.

Old 07-21-2018, 07:27 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,706,199 times
Ignore them. That is what women typically do. I follow suit.

Old 07-21-2018, 07:32 PM

7,400 posts, read 6,363,653 times
It depended on the message and sender. I ignored some, responded to others, but even the "kind" approach of responding backfired at time.

Old 07-21-2018, 09:14 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,407,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metaphysique View Post
It depended on the message and sender. I ignored some, responded to others, but even the "kind" approach of responding backfired at time.
Yes - it opened the floodgates to be critiqued, verbally attacked, demeaned, you name it. After the litany of abuse I received from a polite reply of I'm not interested, I learned that full on ignore is the only way to go. I had a few guys be so abusive in their notes to me that I had to report them to the dating site's moderators. One weirdo even copied and pasted my entire bio into his own profile.

Old 07-21-2018, 10:13 PM

24,594 posts, read 9,427,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blktoptrvl View Post
99% of the women will ignore them. They won’t even open the message before deleting it.

If that doesn’t work they get blocked. Women don’t have time to respond to every Tom, Dick, and Harry in their inbox. Especially in this crazy world where men send pictures of their gentitals as some delusional method of seduction

Old 07-21-2018, 10:17 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,845,611 times
Ignore. I never reply to one word answers. If I hypothetically got a well thought message, I might reply with a thoughtful note. The vast majority at “hi” or “good morning.”

Old 07-22-2018, 01:00 AM

2,518 posts, read 2,054,323 times
Oooh ooh! I posted this same Poll in 2014:
//www.city-data.com/forum/relat...re-online.html

My answer is still the same - ignore by default (everybody else does)
but an especially well worded, thoughtful, relevant initial msg (hey, in theory it could happen...) will get a kind turn down that reflects the level of effort they put out. No meanness in any case, and the block/skip/ignore filters have been engineered to the Nth degree, last time I was on O.L.D. in 2017.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships