Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2018, 02:16 PM

1 posts, read 844 times

Advertisements

First of all excuse my English. It’s not my first language so I’ll make some mistakes. I hope that at least I make it clear. This is a big forum and I thought I would find here some good advice for my story. I can’t really tell this to all my friends or family, only to the closest ones.

Secondly, I am sorry because of the length but you will be able to understand it better with these details, not only with the facts. At the same time, I need to get all this off my chest.

I’ve been teaching foreign languages (mainly French) for five years and I’ve never experienced anything like this: in mid-March I got some new lessons with 2 girls (separate lessons, but they’re friends) in a sports residence here in my city through a friend. As the lessons continued I started to see some changes in the way one of the girls behaved with me. We were always alone in the study room and if she knew someone else was going to be there she asked the receptionist to give us another place. This never happened with their other teacher (also a young man), and when I told him he was surprised as he always gave lessons to her with other students studying next to them.

If you’re a teacher you know when something changes with a student. I don’t consider I’ve been teaching for so long but a lot of students have already passed before me in all of these years. She used to blush with some of my jokes; sometimes (toward the end of the academic course) she stared at me in a way that made me feel uncomfortable, wouldn’t keep her eyes out of mine. I started to feel curious about this girl and finally, when I got to know her better, I found I really had interest in her. Not in a sexual way, those kinds of thoughts never came to me. I loved the way she smiled, the way her eyes sparkled when she looked at me, (I can’t help being romantic, that’s maybe silly, I know) and more little things.

This girl is shy, responsible and she’s making a big sacrifice to keep her studies and the sport both at the same time. I felt really attracted by the fact that she wasn’t the “typical” teenager, that she showed me to be really mature and that we got along really well.

I didn’t want to lose my job by mixing with a student so I decided I would ask her to go have a drink after the end of the lessons in mid-June. That conversation came by chance in a WhatsApp (we use that app a lot here in Europe) where she was telling me she had passed her language exams with really good grades. It’s important to add here that during the lessons (mid-March to mid-June) we never chatted, I never wrote to her because I didn’t feel that was correct even if we got along well in person. So we only used technology to talk about grades or choosing the hour of the lessons. But returning to that conversation I thought it was my opportunity to ask her out to have a drink and “celebrate”. She said yes. Not only that, several days later she even reminded it to me, also via WhatsApp. She had to change the lessons’ time and she said “I will “pay” you after my exams with some drinks”. Knowing she’s shy I found this comment to be her showing me some interest in meeting me outside the lessons.

After this conversation everything changed and went uphill. It was two weeks before the end of the lessons and the coming of her final exams. Remember she’s a really responsible girl, doesn’t like to go out as her friends but prefer to be in the residence studying. However, she wanted to know about me. She kept asking me questions instead of doing exercises, she was closer in the class and I had the feeling that her friends knew about “her teacher”. But things never go as planned, and in one of the last lessons she told me she had to go to her home (in the north of the country) after the day of her last exam. I was sad knowing I wouldn’t get to see her. She also didn’t seem to like the idea of being the whole summer away (she had sports competitions in Europe).

So we come to the last day of the lessons. Knowing I had lost the opportunity of meeting her I wanted to at least remember her we were going to “leave something pending”. My only goal was to see her face when I told her that as we never had talked about having drinks in person, only by WhatsApp. That day it was a double-lesson, I had to spend 3 hours with her (she wanted to, I’ve never had an individual lesson so long). Some things happened that day that I didn’t understand: 1) she asked me to take a picture with her as an excuse to send it to a friend (the other girl I also taught language there) and she sounded really nervous when she asked me. 2) out of the blue she read me something a (girl) friend in the north had written to her, all beautiful things about her. 3) I told her she could keep sending me writings/essays or exercises in summer if she wanted to and I would correct them and her face changed, she smiled, took out a piece of paper, drew some lines as if they were weeks and told me she was going to send me weekly writings telling me her summer, competitions, etc. I knew she wasn’t going to do that (I wasn’t wrong lol) but I never understood why she told me. She seemed like she meant it.

In one of the breaks I started a conversation whose only end was to tell her about the drinks. “You and me are going to leave something pending”. She looked at me in the eyes and said “in September I’ll pay you all drinks I owe you”. She looked sincere. We started joking about all things we would have to celebrate. It’s also important to add here that it’s not 100% sure I will continue being her teacher but she wanted me to prepare her for an official language exam.

When we said good bye in the reception I wished her good luck in her exams and she remembered me about September, she said something emphasizing the fact that we would meet then. And she came towards me like she wanted to kiss me in the cheek to say goodbye but I felt embarrassed because we were surrounded by other students and workers so I didn’t move. We smiled and that was all.

I was sad because it seemed to me like something were about to happen between me and her and now I had to wait almost three months to know. It’s been a month and a half since that day and, of course, she hasn't sent me any writing. We haven’t talked by WhatsApp and two weeks ago I decided to write to her. Being shy I thought she would never write to me, her teacher. I wanted to “break” that professional wall outside the lessons and made it personal. So I wrote to her and she answered me two days later but by her writing she seemed happy (she said hi with an emoji with its tongue out, she never did that during lessons nor other student has before write to me that way) and said she was sorry for answering late. I asked her about her summer and her competitions and she answered the next day by telling me where she had been, where she would be the following week and told me she was really busy with all travels. She asked me about my summer, she even sent me a picture (I hadn't asked her for one) … I was surprised. She seemed like she wanted to talk with me so I answered her and made her some other questions about her competitions.

Well it’s been two weeks since that and I never got an answer. Why? I don’t know. I don’t understand. I don’t really get why she changed her mind that way. I know she’s really busy but you only need 2-3 minutes to answer to somebody and I’ve seen her online. I’m not going to bother her anymore because I’m not that kind of person and I guess I get the message: she doesn’t want to keep that conversation with me, even if she seemed interested. I imply she isn’t going to write me in September so the story finishes here because after all this stuff with a student I’m seriously thinking about resigning working there (it’s not my only job). I’m hurt and confused because never before someone has ignored me this way and I can’t stop thinking about why's that haven’t an answer. I guess it’s my fault because, at the end of the day, she’s just a teenager. In my defense I will say these things you never choose them, they just come up.

What could have happened?

I thank you very much if you have read until the end. It really felt good to get all this off my chest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2018, 02:24 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,121,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyPatch View Post
How could we know? Maybe she's ambivalent about the relationship...

Are there any rules or laws applicable to teacher-student relationships in your situation?

Old 07-24-2018, 02:31 PM

27,073 posts, read 11,855,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyPatch View Post
First of all excuse my English. It’s not my first language so I’ll make some mistakes. I hope that at least I make it clear. This is a big forum and I thought I would find here some good advice for my story. I can’t really tell this to all my friends or family, only to the closest ones.

Secondly, I am sorry because of the length but you will be able to understand it better with these details, not only with the facts. At the same time, I need to get all this off my chest.

I’ve been teaching foreign languages (mainly French) for five years and I’ve never experienced anything like this: in mid-March I got some new lessons with 2 girls (separate lessons, but they’re friends) in a sports residence here in my city through a friend. As the lessons continued I started to see some changes in the way one of the girls behaved with me. We were always alone in the study room and if she knew someone else was going to be there she asked the receptionist to give us another place. This never happened with their other teacher (also a young man), and when I told him he was surprised as he always gave lessons to her with other students studying next to them.

If you’re a teacher you know when something changes with a student. I don’t consider I’ve been teaching for so long but a lot of students have already passed before me in all of these years. She used to blush with some of my jokes; sometimes (toward the end of the academic course) she stared at me in a way that made me feel uncomfortable, wouldn’t keep her eyes out of mine. I started to feel curious about this girl and finally, when I got to know her better, I found I really had interest in her. Not in a sexual way, those kinds of thoughts never came to me. I loved the way she smiled, the way her eyes sparkled when she looked at me, (I can’t help being romantic, that’s maybe silly, I know) and more little things.

This girl is shy, responsible and she’s making a big sacrifice to keep her studies and the sport both at the same time. I felt really attracted by the fact that she wasn’t the “typical” teenager, that she showed me to be really mature and that we got along really well.

I didn’t want to lose my job by mixing with a student so I decided I would ask her to go have a drink after the end of the lessons in mid-June. That conversation came by chance in a WhatsApp (we use that app a lot here in Europe) where she was telling me she had passed her language exams with really good grades. It’s important to add here that during the lessons (mid-March to mid-June) we never chatted, I never wrote to her because I didn’t feel that was correct even if we got along well in person. So we only used technology to talk about grades or choosing the hour of the lessons. But returning to that conversation I thought it was my opportunity to ask her out to have a drink and “celebrate”. She said yes. Not only that, several days later she even reminded it to me, also via WhatsApp. She had to change the lessons’ time and she said “I will “pay” you after my exams with some drinks”. Knowing she’s shy I found this comment to be her showing me some interest in meeting me outside the lessons.

After this conversation everything changed and went uphill. It was two weeks before the end of the lessons and the coming of her final exams. Remember she’s a really responsible girl, doesn’t like to go out as her friends but prefer to be in the residence studying. However, she wanted to know about me. She kept asking me questions instead of doing exercises, she was closer in the class and I had the feeling that her friends knew about “her teacher”. But things never go as planned, and in one of the last lessons she told me she had to go to her home (in the north of the country) after the day of her last exam. I was sad knowing I wouldn’t get to see her. She also didn’t seem to like the idea of being the whole summer away (she had sports competitions in Europe).

So we come to the last day of the lessons. Knowing I had lost the opportunity of meeting her I wanted to at least remember her we were going to “leave something pending”. My only goal was to see her face when I told her that as we never had talked about having drinks in person, only by WhatsApp. That day it was a double-lesson, I had to spend 3 hours with her (she wanted to, I’ve never had an individual lesson so long). Some things happened that day that I didn’t understand: 1) she asked me to take a picture with her as an excuse to send it to a friend (the other girl I also taught language there) and she sounded really nervous when she asked me. 2) out of the blue she read me something a (girl) friend in the north had written to her, all beautiful things about her. 3) I told her she could keep sending me writings/essays or exercises in summer if she wanted to and I would correct them and her face changed, she smiled, took out a piece of paper, drew some lines as if they were weeks and told me she was going to send me weekly writings telling me her summer, competitions, etc. I knew she wasn’t going to do that (I wasn’t wrong lol) but I never understood why she told me. She seemed like she meant it.

In one of the breaks I started a conversation whose only end was to tell her about the drinks. “You and me are going to leave something pending”. She looked at me in the eyes and said “in September I’ll pay you all drinks I owe you”. She looked sincere. We started joking about all things we would have to celebrate. It’s also important to add here that it’s not 100% sure I will continue being her teacher but she wanted me to prepare her for an official language exam.

When we said good bye in the reception I wished her good luck in her exams and she remembered me about September, she said something emphasizing the fact that we would meet then. And she came towards me like she wanted to kiss me in the cheek to say goodbye but I felt embarrassed because we were surrounded by other students and workers so I didn’t move. We smiled and that was all.

I was sad because it seemed to me like something were about to happen between me and her and now I had to wait almost three months to know. It’s been a month and a half since that day and, of course, she hasn't sent me any writing. We haven’t talked by WhatsApp and two weeks ago I decided to write to her. Being shy I thought she would never write to me, her teacher. I wanted to “break” that professional wall outside the lessons and made it personal. So I wrote to her and she answered me two days later but by her writing she seemed happy (she said hi with an emoji with its tongue out, she never did that during lessons nor other student has before write to me that way) and said she was sorry for answering late. I asked her about her summer and her competitions and she answered the next day by telling me where she had been, where she would be the following week and told me she was really busy with all travels. She asked me about my summer, she even sent me a picture (I hadn't asked her for one) … I was surprised. She seemed like she wanted to talk with me so I answered her and made her some other questions about her competitions.

Well it’s been two weeks since that and I never got an answer. Why? I don’t know. I don’t understand. I don’t really get why she changed her mind that way. I know she’s really busy but you only need 2-3 minutes to answer to somebody and I’ve seen her online. I’m not going to bother her anymore because I’m not that kind of person and I guess I get the message: she doesn’t want to keep that conversation with me, even if she seemed interested. I imply she isn’t going to write me in September so the story finishes here because after all this stuff with a student I’m seriously thinking about resigning working there (it’s not my only job). I’m hurt and confused because never before someone has ignored me this way and I can’t stop thinking about why's that haven’t an answer. I guess it’s my fault because, at the end of the day, she’s just a teenager. In my defense I will say these things you never choose them, they just come up.

I thank you very much if you have read until the end. It really felt good to get all this off my chest.
----------------------------------

I did not have to read the thread to answer you....

You said:

****** I guess it’s my fault because, at the end of the day, she’s just a teenager.******

YES OP, IT'S YOUR FAULT.

You also said:
In my defense I will say these things you never choose them, they just come up.

WRONG. YOU CREATED THE SITUATION, IT DID NOT "COME UP".

Done.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 07-24-2018 at 03:23 PM.. Reason: Fixed technical glitch in quote.

Old 07-24-2018, 02:31 PM

20,390 posts, read 14,656,708 times
She is young. Youth can be fickle. And that is for good reasons, because a young person still needs to learn, and to learn they must live and have experiences. I don't hold it against you that you developed an attachment to her and hoped that something may come of that.

Like a bird, or a butterfly, just let her go. Wish her well in your heart and let go, and turn and live your life. Maybe one day she comes back, maybe she does not.

I had relationships with adult men when I was a teenager. The only problem I had, was that I wasn't old enough to be ready for a serious relationship, even if I was "mature" seeming beyond my years in some ways, I was not ready. She isn't either. The older men always wanted a serious commitment and to build a life together ultimately. It was what their hearts desired, and I could not give them that. It was hard to make them let go and move on, when it was time.

I feel like you have already built a lot of hope into this. And while she might have been enjoying the thrill of it, if you had dated her, you would want to hold and keep her, and I don't think she is ready to be held or kept.

Old 07-24-2018, 07:35 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,428,143 times
She probably met a guy who is age appropriate. She doesn't need you - you were her teacher.

You should seriously consider changing careers, if you do not see the inappropriateness of your fawning over a student. You should be ashamed of yourself. I don't think I need to explain the power dynamics in a teacher-student situation.

Your Lolita fantasy is sickening - whether or not she is technically of age is irrelevant here, by the way. A teacher is a professional, not a groomer or an exploiter.

I need to go bleach my brain now.

Old 07-24-2018, 07:39 PM

5,573 posts, read 3,347,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
She probably met a guy who is age appropriate. She doesn't need you - you were her teacher.

You should seriously consider changing careers, if you do not see the inappropriateness of your fawning over a student. You should be ashamed of yourself. I don't think I need to explain the power dynamics in a teacher-student situation.

Your Lolita fantasy is sickening - whether or not she is technically of age is irrelevant here, by the way. A teacher is a professional, not a groomer or an exploiter.

I need to go bleach my brain now.
Absolutely.

Old 07-25-2018, 01:22 AM

23,297 posts, read 18,824,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homina12 View Post
Absolutely.
Agree. OP if you cannot separate your role as teacher from that of a personal romantic relationship, and cannot prevent one from crossing the line into your professional life, you need to consider taking up another line of work. You may have dodged a legal bullet here, but you may not be so lucky next time.

Old 07-25-2018, 04:51 AM

716 posts, read 557,447 times
Behave like a teacher. Keep it professional. Period.

Old 07-25-2018, 05:05 AM

1,702 posts, read 2,324,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post

You should be ashamed of yourself.
I thought it was illegal for teachers to date thier students. You sound like a potential predator.

Old 07-25-2018, 05:24 AM

61,706 posts, read 87,101,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter Sucks View Post
Behave like a teacher. Keep it professional. Period.
Quote:
Originally Posted by behindthescreen View Post
I thought it was illegal for teachers to date thier students. You sound like a potential predator.
^^^^ This! Plus you are 10 years older. You should be wiser too...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships