Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-01-2018, 10:55 AM

8,793 posts, read 8,163,127 times

Advertisements

My experience with MeetUp is that lots of people SignUp, but few actually MeetUp. The site is full of poseurs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2018, 10:56 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,957,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by New Horizons View Post
I know, but I have been reading up on polyamory. I don't know why it sounds appealing to me. I'm not in a relationship looking for a unicorn. I'm not looking for threesomes and I am straight.

I've just got a lot of learning and catching up to do, so I figured I should go where the seasoned pros are. Basically skipping the minor leagues and going straight to the big league you know?

No, I have no idea what you are talking about. It doesn't sound like you've been reading about polyamory as it has nothing to do with threesomes or "seasoned pros".

Old 08-01-2018, 11:04 AM

1,798 posts, read 3,021,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
No, I have no idea what you are talking about. It doesn't sound like you've been reading about polyamory as it has nothing to do with threesomes or "seasoned pros".
Ok well you tell me then. Would a single man, who is content with dating one woman, join a polyamory group? And if so, what would be his reason(s)? Help me out here instead of just telling me I don't know what I'm talking about.

Old 08-01-2018, 11:05 AM

14,530 posts, read 20,121,197 times
Quote:
I've just got a lot of learning and catching up to do, so I figured I should go where the seasoned pros are. Basically skipping the minor leagues and going straight to the big league you know?
Please excuse me if my comment is negative, but your statement above seems rather naive to me. I don't see the polys as seasoned pros. I see them as people who like things different. You won't learn anything but polyamory if you try to hang with them.

There is a reason for minor leagues. In the minors you develop your skills in order to advance to the major leagues.

My advice is to find out what other people your age are doing (and succeeding) and then go with that.

Old 08-01-2018, 11:07 AM

4,927 posts, read 5,314,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blktoptrvl View Post
My experience with MeetUp is that lots of people SignUp, but few actually MeetUp. The site is full of poseurs.
This seems to be my experience as well, for the most part and the majority who sign up do not attend. (men and women alike).

Old 08-01-2018, 11:17 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,957,550 times
Quote:
Ok well you tell me then. Would a single man, who is content with dating one woman, join a polyamory group? And if so, what would be his reason(s)? Help me out here instead of just telling me I don't know what I'm talking about.

If you're not polyamorous, then no, it doesn't make sense to join a polyamory group.

That makes as much sense as a person who doesn't surf and isn't interested in surfing going to a surfer meet up.

The only reason I can think a non poly person would go to a poly meet up would be to learn more about poly (a good reason) or because they're thinking the women are "easy", in other words, he is a freaking scumbag.

Old 08-01-2018, 12:13 PM

1,798 posts, read 3,021,035 times
Thing is I might actually be polyamorous. I mean I wouldn't object to having two girlfriends.

The articles I've read say the reasons people join are SO varied. But the examples they give sound mostly the same. That is a stagnant relationship that needs new spark.

I've got my own reasons for being interested, which I can't seem to put into the right words. Ultimately the goal is self improvement though.

I'll just go to an orientation to see what it's about. They meet up at a restaurant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
If you're not polyamorous, then no, it doesn't make sense to join a polyamory group.

Old 08-06-2018, 11:19 AM

12,766 posts, read 18,376,224 times
I met my husband through meet-up ... it CAN work!

Old 12-02-2019, 11:03 PM

1,062 posts, read 980,897 times
This is such a weird thread. Here in Austin the Meetups are mostly guys and women who aren't looking to meet anyone...

Old 12-03-2019, 07:26 AM

5,353 posts, read 5,792,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by earthisle View Post
This is such a weird thread. Here in Austin the Meetups are mostly guys and women who aren't looking to meet anyone...
Way to bring back an old thread. Meetups are talked about a lot on here. I think much depends on the city. Where I live now, the meetups tend to be a lot of goofy guys and very few single women. Not all the guys are like this, but many are kind of nerdy. Granted, I haven't been to many and I keep waiting to find one that I actually enjoy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships