Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2019, 02:50 PM

3 posts, read 1,624 times

Advertisements

I'm 28 and I've never had a girlfriend, a date or a kiss. I'm used to it by now and I can't imagine my life ever including another person. My days are usually incredibly busy and I'm glad I don't have to deal with expectations from someone else.

Apart from that, I don't believe my personality would be good for a relationships (I've got a bit of a temper under stress). I'm absolutely average lookswise even though I go to the gym 4/5 times a week and I dress smart (I actually wear a suit everyday, I work in banking).

There are certain days, however, when I feel sort of a primal urge to take care of someone or be good to someone - and not like in a friendship. It's a strange desire to be close to someone. I'm not sure if this is more common around Christmas time even though I do tend to think more often about the girls I've liked around this time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2019, 03:00 PM

15,013 posts, read 21,652,905 times
If it's not in a friendship, then how is it?

I think about my ex or a guy I've crushed on from time to time and it'll be intense, but I don't think I'm cut out to be with anyone for real either.

I think 28 is way too young to commit to a lifetime alone.

Old 12-26-2019, 03:10 PM

9,301 posts, read 8,347,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueCode View Post
I'm 28 and I've never had a girlfriend, a date or a kiss. I'm used to it by now and I can't imagine my life ever including another person. My days are usually incredibly busy and I'm glad I don't have to deal with expectations from someone else.

Apart from that, I don't believe my personality would be good for a relationships (I've got a bit of a temper under stress). I'm absolutely average lookswise even though I go to the gym 4/5 times a week and I dress smart (I actually wear a suit everyday, I work in banking).

There are certain days, however, when I feel sort of a primal urge to take care of someone or be good to someone - and not like in a friendship. It's a strange desire to be close to someone. I'm not sure if this is more common around Christmas time even though I do tend to think more often about the girls I've liked around this time.
It's probably the Christmas season because everyone is with family and exchanging gifts. Honestly, I have no one in my life right now. Not even a friend. Nowhere near as lonely as I thought I would be.

Also, to be honest, I don't think I'm cut out for relationships either. But I don't know for sure. You're not necessarily missing anything without a relationship and being single has some advantages like the higher likelihood of peace. Also, it is very easy to fall into bad company and being single is better than being in a bad relationship.

Old 12-26-2019, 05:32 PM

2,949 posts, read 1,354,960 times
OP, you asked, "Is it normal to desire someone once in a while?" Sure if that's what YOU want. Conversely, it's also perfectly fine if you choose to live your life without a romantic partner. Some people need or desire a romantic partner/relationship 24/7/365, and some don't. Maybe you want a partner who is open to a "part-time" relationship, one where you both are committed to each other and monogamous, but don't live together or see each other daily/often.

Based on your written words, I sense you do want to experience closeness with a romantic partner. If you do, strike out and try to connect with someone. Please don't let lack of experience stop you. Nobody knows what to do in any area of their lives, until they learn.

Remember: Inch by inch, life's a cinch; yard by yard, life is hard.

Old 12-26-2019, 07:41 PM

6,456 posts, read 3,978,943 times
Well, yes. Why would it be abnormal? If it wasn't normal, nobody'd ever bother to find a relationship, would they?

Old 12-26-2019, 08:43 PM

10,341 posts, read 5,865,153 times
Sometimes when a man loves a woman...

No really. It’s the birds n the bees. You know it’s normal, you’re supposed to want to be a couple and make a family.

These are strange times I think, there’s no clear path besides: “you do you”. I guess I’m relieved I grew up at a time with at least a guideline and finish line to strive for.

Old 12-26-2019, 09:02 PM

4,039 posts, read 3,774,203 times
Ya it's normal. It's called being human.

Old 12-26-2019, 09:32 PM

6,769 posts, read 5,487,382 times
Blue code

YES it's absolutely normal!

Human beings have an innate desire to pair up and mate. Mankind has laws that state it "should be for life".

I was 37 and my spouse ( other half OH for short)was 41 before we got together, and soon got married. First marriage for both of us.
Prior to that we both had had relationship s but they were temporary or turned into one night stand.
So we were quite pleased that it blossomed into long term relationship. We are now 56 and 60. Next year is 20 years together, 18 married.

One of my former coworker s was 46 and wife 40 when they got married, first for either. They actually met through a dating app.

If you choose to get on a dating app, be sure you've got a "dating" app, not a "hookup app" though!

They say "there's someone for everyone", and keep in mind "beautiful people" usually don't stay married.so being"ordinary" is not a detriment, unless all you are interested in is the most beautiful woman in the room, who might not give you the time of day.

There MAY be a few things you can do to improve your chances.
If overweight at all, lose the excess weight.
If you wear glasses, maybe try contact s.
If your clothes are "dull", maybe upgrade your wardrobe.
Don't go out much? Improve chances by going to church, bowling, volunteer at something, etc to meet more people.it doesn't have to be a bar,but there's that too.

If you meet a woman, be honest that you've never been with a woman. It may help her to understand any awkward moments. Remember "awkward firsts" improve with experience.

So don't give up yet, most 20s Don't marry so much now anyway. You just gotta get out there and mix and mingle and let it be known you are available. There might just be a single woman out there in the same boat, just waiting for her prince charming!

Best if luck as you set out to meet your mate!

Old 12-27-2019, 04:51 AM

9,366 posts, read 14,309,828 times
Quote:
Is it normal to desire someone once in a while?
I wonder if this is a troll post.

Anyway, yes it's normal.

Among other things, relationships, including reproduction, are a mirror of one's own consciousness. Each individual needs, at the least, to look in the mirror once in a while (desire someone).

Put another way, though consciousness has its independent life - and it's beautiful -, at the same time it is utterly dependent on the external environment and keenly ... well ... conscious of it.

One of the functions of consciousness is to play at least some role in taking care of others.

All the best!

Old 12-27-2019, 06:51 AM

6,456 posts, read 3,978,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RbccL View Post
These are strange times I think, there’s no clear path besides: “you do you”. I guess I’m relieved I grew up at a time with at least a guideline and finish line to strive for.
My guideline and finish line IS "you do you." Not someone else telling me, "you do me." My guideline is, "is it what I want?" and my finish line is, "am I happy living my life this way?" I'm relieved I grew up at a time when it's more accepted for a person to live the way they want to and that works best for them, without so many people telling them they're wrong because there's a "life script" and they need to follow that one narrow path.

That's how you end up with people miserable in marriages with a bunch of kids they never actually wanted, who possibly gave up what they really wanted in life to do "what you are supposed to do"...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships