Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2018, 08:51 PM

1,078 posts, read 937,114 times

Advertisements

I met my husband st eighteen and married him at nineteen. We have been together ever since and are very happy. I was the first person he ever dated.

It’s not super common, but it isn’t always a guarantee of breakups or misery, either
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2018, 10:50 PM

52,198 posts, read 52,629,348 times
26 years this weekend, not 18 ,but pretty young back in those days.

Old 07-29-2018, 11:52 PM

20,726 posts, read 16,352,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
I have many times thought about hooking up with the girl I dated when I was 18. I did re-connect with her 20 years later, but she had been through some really rough relationships. I suspect at this time she is highly damaged. She is not the girl that I dated, that girl is gone.

I would love to be back with that girl again.
You're gone, too.

Old 07-30-2018, 03:05 AM

6,931 posts, read 6,864,193 times
The reason to the OPs question is that folks of 18 do not know what they want and make choices which they later regret or just dont work out.

If you both (at 18/19) know who you are inside, then you are less likely to send what are called 'mixed messages'. It means that you think you want something but it is not really what you want. Brain and heart dont agree.

Older people have been around and tried out some relationships. For example, I have tried the pretty looking girl who does not have any brains, who cannot discuss nuclear physics like I need my long-term partner to, and I have decided this relationship is not for me or for my future happiness.

Old 07-30-2018, 05:12 AM

27,074 posts, read 11,841,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post

You're gone, too.

Old 07-30-2018, 08:41 AM

7,400 posts, read 6,365,800 times
They lack life experience, they want to date and explore what's out there, they're immature, they don't understand relationship dynamics and the ups and downs or aspects that make a relationship work, they don't quite know who they are and what they want beyond "he/she is cute and fun," they don't have good pickers (or don't choose partners with compatibility in mind), did I say they're immature and still figuring things out?

Old 07-30-2018, 11:29 AM

15,945 posts, read 12,276,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
It’s called living in the moment and getting relationship experience. If I did that at 18, I would not be so bad off now in dating at 30.
Precisely. Not everyone has long term prospects in mind.. they are just testing the waters and getting experience.

Old 07-30-2018, 11:55 AM

20,364 posts, read 14,636,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
I was 18 when I met the guy I married later (at 22 yrs). We were together for over 13 years total. It took me that long to realize that he was a sociopathic dangerous nightmare of a man obsessed with himself and his outward image.

To answer you question - I think people at 18, especially those whose parents don't really give them a good idea of how relationships are supposed to work, are not equipped to choose an appropriate partner. What I should have done was break up with him the first time he exhibited abusive behavior, but I didn't know back then - because he scooped me up when I was 18, when I had virtually no experience of being with the opposite sex. It is through the experience of dating multiple people, seeing a variety of personalities, that will help a person to mature into a suitably selective mature adult - I didn't get that until after I divorced my husband, in my thirties.

Yep. My abusive marriage was from age 18-36. He was older (29 when we met.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metaphysique View Post
They lack life experience, they want to date and explore what's out there, they're immature, they don't understand relationship dynamics and the ups and downs or aspects that make a relationship work, they don't quite know who they are and what they want beyond "he/she is cute and fun," they don't have good pickers (or don't choose partners with compatibility in mind), did I say they're immature and still figuring things out?
Right??

At 18, I meet this guy, he's got more red flags than China and Russia combined and there I am like "Whee, what could go wrong?" The real problem, as I've stated in one of my more unpopular opinions about age differences, is that with the older guys, they always wanna be so serious. A person who is that young should not be having kids or making lifetime commitments. But older guy be like "Wow, she's young and hot, I'd better KEEP HER FOREVER!" Ugh. And then they have the nerve to be all surprised when a young woman grows up and becomes an adult and realizes she does not have to live in hell with this loser, that the mistakes of youth do not need to be a life sentence.

Harumph.

I've read some sciencey stuff that says the human brain is not done growing, maturing, until like around age 25, the prefrontal cortex, the part of your mind that is best able to evaluate long term concepts and cause and effect and so on. Your decision maker.

Also, it's hard to truly know yourself...what you need and want, what you like and don't like, who you really ARE...when you're young and inexperienced. That applies to all sorts of things. If you cannot be honest about who you are and what you need, because you don't know yet what that is, how on earth can you be honest with partners about these kinds of things? I had sexual needs...and by "needs" I mean, "I will not be in a fulfilling sexual relationship without this" NEEDS...that I did not even know I had until I was 36 years old. I had a number of partners before my ex, and was with my ex for 18 years, and yeah...that means that he and everyone before him, were not really fulfilling to me. I didn't even know what good sex was like. And if I hadn't gotten divorced, I'd have gone my entire life thinking that sex wasn't really that fun and I didn't really care if it happened or not. Kind of prefer it didn't, because I'd rather be sleeping.

I'd like to pop back in time and give my 18 year old self double middle fingers for making such awful choices. Idiot!

Old 07-30-2018, 12:09 PM

41,938 posts, read 36,935,179 times
Most people break up who whoever they are dating at any age.

And kids? Well of course they're even more prone to that.

Old 07-30-2018, 02:03 PM

30,907 posts, read 32,984,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stockwiz View Post
Precisely. Not everyone has long term prospects in mind.. they are just testing the waters and getting experience.
Yes. When I was a teen I wasn't thinking "maybe I'll marry this guy" when I went out on a date. I didn't even envision marrying my first love. I didn't want to "be married," I wanted to "be dating." I was just a kid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships