Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2018, 06:50 AM

1 posts, read 484 times

Advertisements

My boyfriend and I are in a new LDR. He is abroad for a month and then after that he will be living 6 hours away from me. I found out that before he left to go abroad he cheated on me. He begged for my forgiveness and told me it was the biggest mistake of his life etc. I love him and I see a future with him and decided to give him a second chance. Now, he’s telling me he thinks he cheated because he’s scared of the LDR and has doubts. He’s afraid of being unhappy and just putting up with it because we love each other. He is feeling hopeless even though I’m planning on moving closer to him within the year. All of a sudden he doesn’t believe in us. He’s pulling away from me and idk if I should give him space. He hasn’t broken up with me yet and still tells me he loves me everyday but that’s about all he’s saying. I love him and want to make this work but I realized I’ve been trying to convince him that we’re worth it and I might be drowning him and pushing him further away. Should I give him space or will that only make things worse in this situation?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2018, 07:21 AM

22,284 posts, read 21,722,713 times
I have to admit this title made me laugh.

To answer, yes. Give him all the space he wants, for the rest of his life.

Come on, this guy is a tool and a coward. You can't do better?

Old 08-07-2018, 07:23 AM

13,262 posts, read 8,022,582 times
Sometimes I wonder if the advice I give is based on years of living, as opposed to what I would've done, when I was younger.

TODAY, at this place in my life, I would tell you to give him space, and don't contact him. And I'd be peeved. If the dude doesn't "believe in us", hey, I guess that means we're both free to explore our options!"

When I was younger, and dating my first husband, I remember one time, we were talking and he says something about maybe joining a riverboat crew, and he'd only be back like once every couple of months, or something like that.

He wanted to know what I thought about that. What I THOUGHT was "Hmmm. I guess we won't be seeing each other too much then." What I told him was "Do what you have to do." I knew that if he decided to go ahead and do his riverboat thing, it would be the end of 'us'. But if he was willing to walk away from 'us'...how am I supposed to stop him?

He ended up NOT joining the riverboat crew and we stayed together. Our relationship was often rocky though. Looking back, maybe it would've been better if he HAD joined that riverboat crew. lol

Old 08-07-2018, 07:38 AM

2,949 posts, read 1,354,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
I have to admit this title made me laugh.

To answer, yes. Give him all the space he wants, for the rest of his life.

Come on, this guy is a tool and a coward. You can't do better?
LMAO. Hilarious. Best advice ever! Job well done, zentropa.

Old 08-07-2018, 08:00 AM

11,395 posts, read 24,447,211 times
I think the universal answer to this recurring question should always be “yes.”

Old 08-07-2018, 08:18 AM

49,932 posts, read 59,927,052 times
Yes, give him space. In fact, go ahead and tell him that you are not going to be "in a relationship" while he's gone so that he can relax and do what he wants because he's obviously never gonna get the guts to tell you that is what he really wants to do.

One thing for you to remember going forward: You don't want to be with someone you have to convince to stay. Your getting more clingy and desperate to hold onto him is never gonna convince a guy that you're worth loving. If anything it'll just make a guy who's thinking of leaving feel even more guilty about pulling the plug.

So the first time someone says they have "doubts," hear them out and then leave them alone. Trying to convince him to stay usually only pushes them further away.

Old 08-07-2018, 09:48 AM

10,501 posts, read 7,034,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tstony45 View Post
My boyfriend and I are in a new LDR. He is abroad for a month and then after that he will be living 6 hours away from me. I found out that before he left to go abroad he cheated on me. He begged for my forgiveness and told me it was the biggest mistake of his life etc. I love him and I see a future with him and decided to give him a second chance. Now, he’s telling me he thinks he cheated because he’s scared of the LDR and has doubts. He’s afraid of being unhappy and just putting up with it because we love each other. He is feeling hopeless even though I’m planning on moving closer to him within the year. All of a sudden he doesn’t believe in us. He’s pulling away from me and idk if I should give him space. He hasn’t broken up with me yet and still tells me he loves me everyday but that’s about all he’s saying. I love him and want to make this work but I realized I’ve been trying to convince him that we’re worth it and I might be drowning him and pushing him further away. Should I give him space or will that only make things worse in this situation?

Everything the man is saying is lifted straight from the Bullsh*t Artists' Handbook. You'll find it in Chapter 12, titled How To Make Your Gullible S/O Believe Anything Through Evoking Sympathy.

Give him his space. More to the point, give yourself some space. Don't call him for a few days. Even better, don't call him for a few weeks. Best of all, don't call him ever.

Old 08-07-2018, 10:10 AM

2,144 posts, read 1,878,577 times
From an outside perspective, it seems obvious to me that he is pushing your emotional buttons so you break up with him or just "give him space" so he can drift away into the past. He's trying to avoid confrontation and you crying and begging to take you back or whatever you might do.

What do you love about him? The fact that he cheated on you? The way he pushes you away? How he says he thinks he's going to be unhappy with you and just "put up with you" out of what... habit?

Move on.

Old 08-07-2018, 10:11 AM

10,501 posts, read 7,034,778 times
When someone says, "I need space," more often than not it translates to, "I need you to give me space so I can put someone else there in your stead."

Old 08-07-2018, 10:27 AM

2,949 posts, read 1,354,615 times
I didn't make past, "I found out that before he left to go abroad he cheated on me." I'd dump him, unless of course, you want a partner who lies to you and will betray you. He is only loyal to himself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships