Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2018, 07:30 AM

41,937 posts, read 36,951,955 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Left-handed View Post
I've been contemplating with my fiancee whether or not I should attend her wedding if or when it does happen. While she'll be in ours, I find it difficult to go in support of a relationship I don't agree with. Do you think this is this bad form? How do you congratulate someone on something like this?

Yes, this is bad form. Congratulate and hope for the best, it isn't about you.

If you think you're going to have a positive impact on the situation by NOT going, you are incorrect.

I can't count the number of times I've heard people say "I can't support a relationship I don't agree with" for a myriad of reasons. Not once has anything positive come from it. Many times negatives have come from it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2018, 07:41 AM

2,241 posts, read 1,475,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post

If you think you're going to have a positive impact on the situation by NOT going, you are incorrect.

I can't count the number of times I've heard people say "I can't support a relationship I don't agree with" for a myriad of reasons. Not once has anything positive come from it. Many times negatives have come from it.
Yeah, I definitely never assumed anything positive would come of it. It would be a definitive end to the relationship. And while that would be most unfortunate, this friend is not the same person she was when I met her nearly 10 years ago. Perhaps it is getting to the point now where I don't want a relationship with this new person.

Old 08-10-2018, 08:02 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,671,651 times
Quote:

Have you had friends get out of those bad relationships? I have friends where I say “I don’t support the relationship, but I support YOU, 100%.” I know I had one friend who said she wished more people had told her how they felt about her relationship while she was in it. She’s now happily divorced and in a much healthier relationship as her husband was mentally abusive and I think occasionally physically abusive. I am sorry, but I am not going to support an abusive relationship. However, I always made it clear that I supported her and if she decided she wasn’t ready to leave, I would be there for her.

Old 08-10-2018, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post
Have you had friends get out of those bad relationships? I have friends where I say “I don’t support the relationship, but I support YOU, 100%.” I know I had one friend who said she wished more people had told her how they felt about her relationship while she was in it. She’s now happily divorced and in a much healthier relationship as her husband was mentally abusive and I think occasionally physically abusive. I am sorry, but I am not going to support an abusive relationship. However, I always made it clear that I supported her and if she decided she wasn’t ready to leave, I would be there for her.
That's a good way to view it and express it.

Old 08-10-2018, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post

Yes, several times, and I'm thankful I kept the channels of communication open.

I've been the person in the bad relationship as well.

Old 08-10-2018, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Yes, several times, and I'm thankful I kept the channels of communication open.

I've been the person in the bad relationship as well.
What would you have wanted your friends to do or say prior to the ultimate demise of that relationship? Would you have wanted them to speak up?

I just don't know how to handle this with her. While I miss my old friend, this new version of her is something I want to avoid most of the time. Especially when her fiancee is around; she is 10x worse (cocky, unempathetic, smug; very much like him). At one point earlier in the year, this once progressive, open-minded girl who wanted to improve the world told me, "Poor, black people bring down the value of our neighborhood". That most definitely was not her own viewpoint, that was his coming out of her mouth. Ten years ago, she'd have lambasted you for saying something like that; she used to lecture people for using the term 'retarded'. When it's just her, there is still some semblance of her old self, but it seems to fade as each day passes.

As RamenAddict said above, I want to support her 100%, but I don't support the relationship she is in.

Last edited by Left-handed; 08-10-2018 at 08:22 AM..

Old 08-10-2018, 08:18 AM

3,926 posts, read 2,034,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
T

Boy, is she going to regret this, once she wakes up, the first morning of her honeymoon. I can't bear to watch.
THIS...I have heard stories regarding the very NIGHT of the wedding (wedding night), that the new spouse would go from Jeckle to Hyde in moments. I heard of one woman saying, "Okay, we're married now, so...no more sex!"

I thought the guy telling me this was joking...he was not.

Old 08-10-2018, 08:23 AM

Quote:
What would you have wanted your friends to do or say prior to the ultimate demise of that relationship? Would you have wanted them to speak up?

Speak up how? Speak up saying they care about me? Yes. Speak up saying I think this relationship is unhealthy (etc), then no, it wouldn't have done any good and it would have just alienated me.

Old 08-10-2018, 08:27 AM

2,949 posts, read 1,354,615 times
Quote:

I just don't know how to handle this with her. While I miss my old friend, this new version of her is something I want to avoid most of the time. Especially when her fiancee is around; she is 10x worse (cocky, unempathetic, smug; very much like him). At one point earlier in the year, this once progressive, open-minded girl who wanted to improve the world told me, "Poor, black people bring down the value of our neighborhood". That most definitely was not her own viewpoint, that was his coming out of her mouth. When it's just her, there is still some semblance of her old self.

As RamenAddict said above, I want to support her 100%, but I don't support the relationship she is in.
Left-handed, for what it's worth, my friend and I had quite a few discussions re his "new life," which was hard on both of us but productive because we expressed our feelings. I think it's worth talking with your friend before you exit the relationship.

Personally, I would not have a friend or be around people who made the above statement in bold. Complete deal breaker for me. Disgusting comment.

Old 08-10-2018, 08:30 AM

3,926 posts, read 2,034,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by self-made View Post
Left-handed, for what it's worth, my friend and I had quite a few discussions re his "new life," which was hard on both of us but productive because we expressed our feelings. I think it's worth talking with your friend before you exit the relationship.

Personally, I would not have a friend or be around people who made the above statement in bold. Complete deal breaker for me. Disgusting comment.
Wow....just wow. From a sweet heart to a bigot. Never thought someone let themselves go down that rabbit hole. I'd sever ties with her at this point. I've done with the same when it came to other friends...when they either changed for the worst or revealed their true colors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships