Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2018, 09:09 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,955,675 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
Honestly I feel like blocking is extreme. Why does everybody block everybody? Unless the person is stalking you is it really necessary? This guy continues to contact the OP because he is awaiting some response. Now if she had asked him not to contact her, THEN he went a bunch of texts, that's when blocking would seem more appropriate.
I said block him if he persists.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2018, 09:44 PM

17,743 posts, read 9,192,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
Blocking is very rude in this situation, and unnecessary. One minute you think rather highly of him in that you've wanted to seek a relationship with him because he has some good and attractive qualities, the next minute you're treating him like a low life or a stalker.....if you block.

Just be nice. Do not block. He'll get the idea. Especially if you explain that he being so busy all the time doesn't work for you. (I'm not sure how often you see him either)
Agreed.

Old 08-13-2018, 10:37 PM

30,902 posts, read 33,008,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post
I said block him if he persists.
Yeah...and the whole idea of immediately putting in that she may need to block (even though there's no reason to jump to that idea) is exactly what I'm talking about.

Blocking at the drop of a hat has become just that common now and I just find that odd.

Now for actual stalking or harrassing, sure, I get that. So far this guy has just texted a few times, based on a question he asked that hasn't been answered, plus obvious interest in the part of the OP. All of that seems pretty normal to me.

JMO.

Old 08-14-2018, 03:06 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,259,472 times
We still don’t know what “busy” means. All we know is “in real estate”. Some people in the thread are assuming he’s a residential realtor and the job is the source of “busy”. I don’t see how it can be. That’s not a job where you’re working every evening beyond a few emails and phone calls. Weekends during the day are the problem.

Old 08-14-2018, 03:32 AM

29 posts, read 22,270 times
some thirty years ago I met a man who could only see me on his 2 days off. we would talk on the phone once a day on my lunch break, he worked 3-11pm shift. I put up with this for 3 yrs. I tried to tell him I needed more time with him then just dinner and a movie type thing. being in my 20s back then I would go out with my friends and long story short it didn't work out. he was to busy the other hours in his day.

Old 08-14-2018, 05:11 AM

49,927 posts, read 59,955,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by srjth View Post
As I said earlier in the thread, I’m trying to end it but he wants it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by srjth View Post
He’s been texting since I made this thread and I’ve been ignoring. ...He knows how I feel.
Quote:
Blocking at the drop of a hat has become just that common now and I just find that odd.
It is odd, and not at all what I was suggesting.

Old 08-14-2018, 08:01 AM

8,779 posts, read 9,452,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
I did it once. I felt kind of squicky. The next day I deleted the block. I figured it was immature. What ever happened to just not answering? The block is just a dig of the knife. That's just a game.
It not always an “immaturity” issue or done with the intent to play games with people.
it can be more to stop yourself than an action to stop others. Conflicting emotions lead to the inevitable mistakes. adding an additional layer for yourself to ask if you are doing the right thing before you do it can be a good tool for many.
It also helps limit distraction, which if you are already struggling with thoughts of that person it can help to not know when they are trying to reach out to you so you can focus away from them.

Some people do not do well with the anxiety of not understanding their own emotions or dealing with the dilemmas it can cause them. In that instance blocking can be used as a tool to help them or give them the space they need.

That said, Op just needs to tell the guy she’s not interested and be done with it if that’s the case.

Last edited by rego00123; 08-14-2018 at 08:11 AM..

Old 08-14-2018, 11:48 AM

14,530 posts, read 20,128,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rego00123 View Post
It also helps limit distraction, which if you are already struggling with thoughts of that person it can help to not know when they are trying to reach out to you so you can focus away from them.
There is that, I felt a bit of it. I decided the next day that I could deal with my focus and not require blocking as a tool. In the future I would use blocking only if somebody continued sending undesired texts etc.

Old 08-14-2018, 11:54 AM

30,902 posts, read 33,008,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
There is that, I felt a bit of it. I decided the next day that I could deal with my focus and not require blocking as a tool. In the future I would use blocking only if somebody continued sending undesired texts etc.
I feel like jumping to block is such a neener-neener and only tells the person you WERE that affected by him/her. (Again, I'm not talking about legitimate stalking...which, it seems, is absolutely not required for blocking nowadays. Just being a bit of a pain is. But it comes off as over-reactive and silly, IMO.)

Years ago, a boyfriend and I broke up. He then called me at work. I considered not calling back but I figured, okay, he went out of his way to call me, I may as well call back. I did and got a message from the operator that I was blocked! LOL! If I had entertained any nostalgic thoughts at all, they died right then. I felt like I had been dating a Bratz doll. Just instant turnoff. When he did contact me yet again, I think a couple of months later (can't remember exactly), he laughed and apologized for blocking me (he asked why I never called him back; I explained) and he said "Can I kiss you?" and the word "no" just jumped out of my mouth, not angry or anything, it was almost instinct. He went "Oh, God" in embarrassment and skittered away into the sunset.

Old 08-14-2018, 12:01 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,128,038 times
Quote:
I feel like jumping to block is such a neener-neener and only tells the person you WERE that affected by him/her. (Again, I'm not talking about legitimate stalking...which, it seems, is absolutely not required for blocking nowadays. Just being a bit of a pain is. But it comes off as over-reactive and silly, IMO.)
That was it. I'm pretty sure she sent no texts. I realized that ^^^^ is just juvenile and playing into a game.

I decided that receiving no reply from me was much more to the point. The silence means "next move is yours" or "game over." She can pick. If it isn't game over she had better have a pretty good story!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships