Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2018, 04:39 AM

2,483 posts, read 2,475,158 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post
Why is it her poor life decision and not the ex-husband’s poor life decision?

Since OP is not likely interested in dating ex-husband, it's an irrelevant point.

Louie CK had a joke in his stand-up about this...

[At 1:20]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ohbv6haI1aQ

If she is genuine, you can give it a shot and not get too deep. If you get a hint that it's a 'beta bucks' thing, which I never even heard of before this thread (but is brilliant), then leave without explanation.

Old 08-14-2018, 05:04 AM

1,278 posts, read 1,115,483 times
You and I are more or less the same age. I started talking to an old classmate of mine from high school a little while ago, he asked me to go out for drinks. Long story short, we hit it off and have been in a relationship for going on 7 months. He is divorced and has two teenagers. They're actually really good kids and I, surprisingly enough, enjoy the weekends when he gets them. I am childfree and kept saying I'd never date a guy who had kids. These two kids of his changed my mind because they're actually fun to be around. And this former classmate of mine treats me better than all of my former boyfriends ever did. I'm so happy that I took a chance on him.

Just for reference, we were in a lot of the same classes in school but we were not friends back then. I remember he used to argue with me about stupid stuff. He was kind of annoying back then. But that was over 26 years ago and a lot of life has happened between then and now. We're both older, wiser, and have some battle scars from what we've been through. But we both keep saying that it was necessary to go through all we've been through to recognize and appreciate what we have found in each other.

So you can take it or leave it but I'm happier than I've ever been in my life. I've never felt so loved. I'm so happy I gave him a chance.

Old 08-14-2018, 05:48 AM

26,700 posts, read 41,742,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by merchantfour View Post
I was on Facebook recently and I saw a message from a girl from school (well, I mean woman. We're both 43 now). Now back in the day I really liked her and she knew it, well pretty much everybody in our class knew it.

I was confused because I knew she was married and had kids and all of that, so I was wondering why she'd contact me out of the blue, especially considering she wasn't interested in me when we were younger.

Well I quickly found out that she got divorced about 6 months ago. Then I found out that she had been with some other guy for a few years previous to her marriage, and had a kid with him too. She still looks pretty good but I'm really wondering why she would suddenly show an interest in me after all these years.

I remember at school she once told me that I'd be a great boyfriend and a good husband but that she's just not into someone like me but I'd be perfect for someone else. I also remember the guys she went out with and they weren't exactly upstanding members of society.

But now she's sending me messages talking about how I'm a great catch and how she feels that maybe it's time for her to settle with someone like me. I've had a few conversations with her and she's very complimentary and it makes me think why didn't she just go with me back then and why would she now, after all this time, show an interest?
Never give a second chance to anyone who rejects you.

Old 08-14-2018, 06:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGal7 View Post
You and I are more or less the same age. I started talking to an old classmate of mine from high school a little while ago, he asked me to go out for drinks. Long story short, we hit it off and have been in a relationship for going on 7 months. He is divorced and has two teenagers. They're actually really good kids and I, surprisingly enough, enjoy the weekends when he gets them. I am childfree and kept saying I'd never date a guy who had kids. These two kids of his changed my mind because they're actually fun to be around. And this former classmate of mine treats me better than all of my former boyfriends ever did. I'm so happy that I took a chance on him.

Just for reference, we were in a lot of the same classes in school but we were not friends back then. I remember he used to argue with me about stupid stuff. He was kind of annoying back then. But that was over 26 years ago and a lot of life has happened between then and now. We're both older, wiser, and have some battle scars from what we've been through. But we both keep saying that it was necessary to go through all we've been through to recognize and appreciate what we have found in each other.

So you can take it or leave it but I'm happier than I've ever been in my life. I've never felt so loved. I'm so happy I gave him a chance.
I like happy ending stories, thanks for sharing.

Old 08-14-2018, 06:36 AM

5,938 posts, read 4,699,219 times
I don't think it is unnatural for someone who is 43 to look up old (possibly romantic) acquaintances. It might be a combination of "do I still have it?" as well as simply a mid-life crisis type issue. I don't think she'd be contacting you for good reasons ( long term ). She might just be looking for a quickie but maybe put some strings on you that you can't untangle.

I'd tread carefully. You'll probably have some good laughs talking about that time your 11th grade math teacher snorted coffee out of his nose - but things past high school, your lives have probably diverged. She might simply be looking up other boys (now men) from high school and your name was first on the list of those that are (presumably) unattached at the moment.

Old 08-14-2018, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
Never give a second chance to anyone who rejects you.
Why? People make mistakes sometimes.

Old 08-14-2018, 06:57 AM

15,013 posts, read 21,652,905 times
I have trouble going with someone who rejected me in the past too. It's a mind-**** and have decided to pass every time. But I'm a woman. I think a lot of men wouldn't be able to resist at least hitting it a few times.

Old 08-14-2018, 07:22 AM

26,700 posts, read 41,742,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by picardlx View Post
Why? People make mistakes sometimes.
I’m no one’s fallback option. I’d rather be single forever than a second choice.

Old 08-14-2018, 08:20 AM

643 posts, read 329,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by va_bank View Post
"time for her to settle with someone like me"

Meaning she needs someone to pay her bills and raise her children that are not yours.
Bingo !

Old 08-14-2018, 08:20 AM

8,779 posts, read 9,452,560 times
Anytime anyone contacts you form the past “out of the blue” it’s because they remember what you were to them, not what you are now.
In your case, you where a self admitted puppy dog who wanted nothing more than to the attention of someone unwilling to give it.

Proceed with caution until you can surmise if the intent goes beyond simple remembrance.

Last edited by rego00123; 08-14-2018 at 08:35 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships