Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2018, 04:58 PM

5,110 posts, read 3,070,200 times

Advertisements

I feel like my gf invites me to way too many events she wants me to go to, like dinners with parents and family, and relatives, and things like that, as well as work events.

We first start seeing each other in March/April around, but I feel that maybe she considers me to be a boyfriend to show off sometimes, cause if I don't want to, she will say things like everyone wants to meet me, family and a couple of co-workers so far. Why? Is going out since April long enough for the everyone wants to meet me stage?

She wants me to go to Christmas dinner for her work and told me to book off a couple of days, cause apparently Christmas dinner for work, is a three or more hour drive away in another city, and I have to stay overnight in a hotel.

Now maybe if she were to have asked me, I would have responded more positively, but she sends me a text saying book it off cause we are staying over night, at a hotel, and everything is paid for, without even asking, like as if she expected to me say yes, and get right on it, especially when I have a new job, and not much days off yet.

So I dunno, do you think that maybe she likes showing me off, or am I just making too big a deal out of this perhaps?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2018, 05:09 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,935,627 times
She’s acting like a girlfriend.

Old 09-25-2018, 05:55 PM

7,687 posts, read 5,120,849 times
She paid for hotel? And likes to be with you?

Sounds like a nice girlfriend

Maybe just have a friendly chat to have her let you know first?!

Old 09-25-2018, 06:05 PM

328 posts, read 573,248 times
You need to stand up to her and tell her that
(1) you really care about her and want to meet important people in her life but
(2) you are an individual and she needs to respect whether you want to go these events or not by asking you first. Lastly,
(3) even if she curbs this behavior now, you will have to be prepared for her tendency to be controlling/ overplan. Think about whether or not you can deal with it long-term. Just know it's probably just her personality and she doesn't intend to be overbearing. But you gotta nip that in the bud early!
- posted by a former gf who would overplan (I worked on it and have gotten much better lol)

Old 09-25-2018, 06:11 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,428,143 times
If she is your girlfriend, then I assume you are the boyfriend. Is there someone else she should be going with to a work holiday party?

Old 09-25-2018, 06:14 PM

15,013 posts, read 21,650,496 times
I'm confused about what your problem is. Are you upset that she pretty much assumes you're her boyfriend when you two have not officially declared that, or are you upset that she's being kind of bossy and impolite about it?

Either way just start telling her no when you don't want to go and it will work itself out naturally.

Old 09-25-2018, 06:46 PM

I guess I am just kind of turned off at the fact that she wants me to meet and socialize with all these people. I am not much of a socializer/people person I guess. I don't think she is bossy, I just think maybe she gets too over excited about these things, but then if I turn her down, she gets bummed out it seems. She doesn't actually say this, but I think she is embarrassed if I don't come, maybe.

Old 09-25-2018, 06:50 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,935,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironpony View Post
I guess I am just kind of turned off at the fact that she wants me to meet and socialize with all these people. I am not much of a socializer/people person I guess. I don't think she is bossy, I just think maybe she gets too over excited about these things, but then if I turn her down, she gets bummed out it seems. She doesn't actually say this, but I think she is embarrassed if I don't come, maybe.
This is part of the issue with your having autism.

It's also a difference in personality types. You are certainly within your rights to tell her about your discomfort. But it's the kind of situation that requires compromise.

If you want her to compromise and consider your feelings, you need to consider hers as well. Ask her what she expects from you at these events. Tell her your concerns about being there. See if you two can work out a system where you can take a break during the work event and go outside for a bit or whatever you need to do to feel less anxiety.

You may not like socializing a lot, but surely you can understand why being around her family would be important to her. That's a little different than "socializing." She isn't using you. She's showing you that she cares about you and wants you to be part of her life.

Old 09-25-2018, 06:54 PM

Well in order for to me to understand, why does she want me at these events in the first place so much? Why would she be embarrassed if I don't come?

Old 09-25-2018, 06:57 PM

16,960 posts, read 17,339,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironpony View Post
Why are you so afraid of that you can’t talk about this with your girlfriend?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships