Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2018, 09:58 AM

20,764 posts, read 19,972,298 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
Hmmm. Where to begin? I swore an oath after a tragic loss of my last relationship that there would never be anyone else that close and intimate in my life. Actually swore it before. I would just spend my life alone. So I've been thus for some time now. Riding solo.

However it appears that God, Fate, Destiny whatever has a sense of humor. I crashed into a lady that has turned out to be rather special. Out of the blue on a stroll through the park like a 2x4 twixt the eyes. What started with a simple, polite Hi turned into a conversation sitting at a bench that lasted for hours. Conversation never ran dry, we have a LOT in common right down to past trauma and loss.

At any rate I'd like to hear from folks who have been there done that where it went or is going. I don't want to see any hurt com out of this for either of us. Hurt from past loss has hurt us both and we both fully expected to be alone. Swore we would be. Even her at such a young age. And now here we are. Anybody have any thoughts and especially experience with something like this?
Quote:
lol....Yea , well I got better than just a few years left in me. And I've been achy for 35 years ever since my bike vs car accident. As far as sex goes maybe I might slow down but I'm not going to go there. Life is good so far.

I'm not in a negative state of mind and don't wanna be. I'll burn that bridge when it's time I reckon.......
okay, then I guess there is your answer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2018, 10:47 AM

16,960 posts, read 17,342,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post
Just go with it.

You cannot insulate yourself from pain, no matter how hard you try. Love requires vulnerability.

Be smart, and just see what happens.
This. Real love requires vulnerability

Life is too short! Just enjoy the time you guys spend together.

As for not getting hurt: its too late for that now, given how you feel about her already.

Old 10-05-2018, 07:15 AM

18,158 posts, read 15,628,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
okay, then I guess there is your answer.

Indeed.

Old 10-05-2018, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiiancoconut View Post
This. Real love requires vulnerability

Life is too short! Just enjoy the time you guys spend together.

As for not getting hurt: its too late for that now, given how you feel about her already.

Again....Indeed. And yes, life is to short to argue with things that are good that come into ones life,

Old 10-05-2018, 07:25 AM

49,927 posts, read 59,944,601 times
Quote:
Again....Indeed. And yes, life is to short to argue with things that are good that come into ones life,
Again ... how much time have y’all actually spent together?

Old 10-05-2018, 07:40 AM

20,722 posts, read 16,372,564 times
Quote:
mmmmm. Yea. Kids. I can't have any. I'm fixed that way. The one I raised was enough. Yep, gotta talk bout that. I've never heard the ter "baby rabies" before but at her age I reckon it could develop. 20 years has seen me chew a lot of dirt that she hasn't as well.

That is something she has been very curious about. What it was like growing up and coming of age in the 80s and the 70s as well. I was 20 yo when she was born. . The biggest thing we don't have in common is where we grew up and how. She's from WA DC. I grew up on a fairly remote little ranch here in NV and as a Navy bray for a spell. Something else she's been very curious and inquisitive about. Her upbringing wasn't very adventurous mine surely was. You don't see any roundups or stock killing mountain lion hunts in DC.

Oh she's still got stories to tell their just not as rugged and outdoorsy as mine. I'm going to take her to my buddy's ranch and introduce her to horses and cattle. She's quite excited bout that. Again I reckon I'll take some advice posted here and just strap a saddle to the battle and hold on. See how it goes. Enjoy what we have and not over think it.
Hmmm...you were able to talk for hours and had a lot in common yet you obviously grew up in different decades in different parts of the country and with very different upbringings. Wasn't it Dylan who said you shouldn't let other people get their kicks for you? She needs to live a life for herself, not through your (past) adventures. Just a tiny yellow flag I picked up on. Opposites attract but it takes something very special for them to hold.

You may want to explore why you've sworn off relationships a couple times in your life but keep finding unsuccessful ones to get back into. Impulsive? Impetuous? Sin in haste and repent in leisure?

And yeah - tell her you are fixed IMMEDIATELY - and be sure she doesn't brush it off thinking you'll be open to adoption or something - I've had that happen before - bad news!

Old 10-05-2018, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post
Again ... how much time have y’all actually spent together?

Been bout 3 months and a bit now. Spending most of that time together either at her place or mine and out doing various things.

Old 10-05-2018, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
Hmmm...you were able to talk for hours and had a lot in common yet you obviously grew up in different decades in different parts of the country and with very different upbringings. Wasn't it Dylan who said you shouldn't let other people get their kicks for you? She needs to live a life for herself, not through your (past) adventures. Just a tiny yellow flag I picked up on. Opposites attract but it takes something very special for them to hold.

You may want to explore why you've sworn off relationships a couple times in your life but keep finding unsuccessful ones to get back into. Impulsive? Impetuous? Sin in haste and repent in leisure?

And yeah - tell her you are fixed IMMEDIATELY - and be sure she doesn't brush it off thinking you'll be open to adoption or something - I've had that happen before - bad news!

We have in common standards of conduct, worldviews, and interests. She loves the outdoors as I do and though she was raised in a nasty city there's a country girl trapped in there yammering to get out. If we do go our separate way at some point she will take a LOT of things I'm teaching with her. Horsemanship, how to keep yourself safe and alive in remote places, how different wild life behaves and what wild life to be extremely cautious about when you're on its turf.

She's not a typical example of a city raised lady in her age range. She gets in there and gets her hands dirty. LOL, she gets into the "icky" stuff a mall mouse wouldn't touch with a ten foot pole. I gotta admire that.

Why we both swore off relationships is pretty personal but revolves around tragic loss. Illness and accident took people from us we truly loved. We have a type of loss very much in common. But somehow we crashed into each other and are finding a way to get past that loss. Could be I'm just a stopping place on her journey.But I figger I'll see to it she takes something good away from our pairing up.

Old 10-05-2018, 09:27 AM

20,390 posts, read 14,661,936 times
I'm in a relationship with a 20 year age gap. I was 36 and he was 56 when we met, now we're 39/59. I'm happy happy happy and so is he. It's great.

So a lot of the stuff like kids and such, that's issues you could have with anyone. I mean think about it. If one person is dedicated childfree by choice and the other catches the "baby rabies" (lol!) at any age that'd be a pretty big deal breaking problem, yes? Yes. Core values and worldview and such like, well you've already touched base on all that and the light looks green. COOL!

Eventually...because today it would be way too much of a bummer, not to mention way too soon...it could end up being worth considering if she is willing/able to be there for you in your end-of-life phases and such. Long run, it's just responsible to think about estate planning, however that looks, with your loved ones. Like do you have others you want to get something from your inheritance? Can she handle losing you one day if you both live normal lifespans? Will she be ok to be either unpartnered or single/looking, when she's in her 60s or so?

My boyfriend and I have had talks about all these pragmatic things because we're both pretty practical people. For us, the joy we take in one another is worth any price to be paid one day in the future, and we feel pretty secure in our plans. But I'm cool with caring for old people, I actually like them better than I like kids. That's just me though. Things we need to know about ourselves in life, y'know? We know where we stand with regard to retirement planning, and all that.

I guess in my opinion that's the main difference between a big age gap relationship like that, and one where both people are the same age, particularly if we're talking like two people in their 30's. While those two should/could be thinking about retirement and estate planning, it feels like it's way down the road and not worth concerning oneself about much maybe, guess I'm saying that's where some unusual considerations come into place. Knowing the younger partner could end up in the role of caretaker and making sure they consent to that, and having some realism about the future and all.

Old 10-05-2018, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
I'm in a relationship with a 20 year age gap. I was 36 and he was 56 when we met, now we're 39/59. I'm happy happy happy and so is he. It's great.

So a lot of the stuff like kids and such, that's issues you could have with anyone. I mean think about it. If one person is dedicated childfree by choice and the other catches the "baby rabies" (lol!) at any age that'd be a pretty big deal breaking problem, yes? Yes. Core values and worldview and such like, well you've already touched base on all that and the light looks green. COOL!

Eventually...because today it would be way too much of a bummer, not to mention way too soon...it could end up being worth considering if she is willing/able to be there for you in your end-of-life phases and such. Long run, it's just responsible to think about estate planning, however that looks, with your loved ones. Like do you have others you want to get something from your inheritance? Can she handle losing you one day if you both live normal lifespans? Will she be ok to be either unpartnered or single/looking, when she's in her 60s or so?

My boyfriend and I have had talks about all these pragmatic things because we're both pretty practical people. For us, the joy we take in one another is worth any price to be paid one day in the future, and we feel pretty secure in our plans. But I'm cool with caring for old people, I actually like them better than I like kids. That's just me though. Things we need to know about ourselves in life, y'know? We know where we stand with regard to retirement planning, and all that.

I guess in my opinion that's the main difference between a big age gap relationship like that, and one where both people are the same age, particularly if we're talking like two people in their 30's. While those two should/could be thinking about retirement and estate planning, it feels like it's way down the road and not worth concerning oneself about much maybe, guess I'm saying that's where some unusual considerations come into place. Knowing the younger partner could end up in the role of caretaker and making sure they consent to that, and having some realism about the future and all.

Yea, that's pretty deep stuff there. Actual marriage is a place I'm not willing to go again. So my will and testament stands as is. I don't have that much to inherit right now anyway and I don't see that changing. She's certainly not in this for material/monetary gain. Gotta see how this unfolds a bit longer before we get as involved as you are talking about.

One day at a time I'm thinking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships