Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2018, 12:47 PM

30,902 posts, read 33,003,025 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
In my friends' case, she was a student teacher, age 21, he was a HS student, age 18. They grew up in the same small community and had known each other since they were kids, becoming reacquainted at the school. She never taught him in class, she just happened to be assigned to his school for her training. They did not have a sexual relationship until after he graduated. They have been married now for 20 years.

Still "morally wrong"?

Just trying to point out that the question is not as black and white as it may seem.
This is very different from the OP's situation and question.

But sure, if you blur the lines enough, eventually, after a dozen "buts" and "what ifs" and exceptions and caveats and unsupportable anecdotes, you can get to "sure, it's okay," which is just perfect for teachers who want to drill their young students, because now somebody agrees that "sometimes" it's okay. So maybe it is for them.

You win, Zen. You're 100% right. THIS very unusual, atypical situation that isn't at all like the OP's situation does seem less like a crime and more like something that could happen, especially in a Hollywood movie.

So there you have it.

Teachers, it's open season. Wear something tight and low-cut.

p.s. Yeah, it IS always black and white as regards a teacher and his/her student. It IS cause for termination. It IS NOT accepted by the school, society or in some cases, by the law (or all three). It IS black and white that no matter what the "exception" as far as close in age, grew up together, and a hundred other unlikely, unusual things for a teacher + student, the teacher is deliberately breaking the law and/or policy which is the larger issue here with someone in a position of trust.

Period.

Getting together AFTER the student has graduated AND is in the age of majority? Fine, if no "grooming" were subtly going on all throughout the student's time as the teacher's student, which comes with its own set of problems, including a teacher who feels "they're different," the law doesn't apply to them, and who may subtly be encouraged to favor the child, and a zillion other things.

But your exact described situation? Sure! You've made your point. It's a happy, happy day for teachers who have been playing with themselves every night thinking about their cute students.

A whole secret little sub-class is standing up and clapping at your championing them in this way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2018, 01:20 PM

22,278 posts, read 21,728,906 times
Wow, you really misunderstood me.

My argument is against binary, always/never thinking. On any issue. I don't believe my friends should be lumped in with ephebophile, criminal teachers who prey on students. I don't know anyone who supports that.

Old 10-05-2018, 02:18 PM

2,211 posts, read 2,616,055 times
My senior year in h.s. I was 18 years old. My geometry teacher was a new teacher maybe 22 or 23 at the time. I had a huge crush on her, if I was ever a teachers pet, she was the one. Nothing inappropriate ever happened, even though I wished it had.

Years later, her 2nd son and my son are the same age and played ball together, her and I became good friends, we now hug each other when we see each other.

I never told a soul I had a crush on her when I was 18. :-)

Old 10-13-2018, 07:00 PM

193 posts, read 92,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
I'm not the OP so am not certain, but I think the gist of it is what if there is attraction while in HS, is it OK to act on it *after* the younger party is 18 or older - OP?

Call me sexist if you want - I see this quite differently with female teacher/male student (which I think is pretty much OK, so long as the kid is of age of consent) and male teacher/female student (which I have pretty strong reservations about). Since it's always the female that might get pregnant, an older female who (I would assume) has that precluded or has a backup plan, is in a less vulnerable position than a young girl. Just IMHO.

Did anyone else hear that sound? That's odd, it's not morning here...

Old 10-13-2018, 07:05 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,876,599 times
When the student is well out of high school. Maybe 3 years later. Or more.

Old 10-14-2018, 06:12 AM

9,375 posts, read 6,977,761 times
Even when it’s an 18 year old it’s never acceptable for a teacher to date/sex with their student. It’s highly illegal at worst and highly immoral at best.

I’m sorry that your first love is a teacher but in my opinion you were sexually abused as a child. Likely your feelings of bitterness are deep seeded and you could use some councilling!

Please don’t ever repeat that activity with a teenager as victims are at a much higher risk of becoming an offender later in life.

Old 10-14-2018, 01:36 PM

35,075 posts, read 31,302,097 times
It's unprofessional and shouldn't have.

With that said, I have an uncle who is in his early 60s. He slept with his high school teacher back in the 70s. They were married nearly twenty years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships