Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2018, 12:39 PM

4,050 posts, read 6,139,336 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
I'm not the OP so am not certain, but I think the gist of it is what if there is attraction while in HS, is it OK to act on it *after* the younger party is 18 or older - OP?
No, I actually meant while the student was in high school, as was the case for my situation.

Quote:
Call me sexist if you want - I see this quite differently with female teacher/male student (which I think is pretty much OK, so long as the kid is of age of consent) and male teacher/female student (which I have pretty strong reservations about). Since it's always the female that might get pregnant, an older female who (I would assume) has that precluded or has a backup plan, is in a less vulnerable position than a young girl. Just IMHO.
In my case, I was a teenage girl and she was a woman, so pregnancy wasn't an issue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2018, 12:44 PM

30,902 posts, read 32,995,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buildings_and_bridges View Post
No, I actually meant while the student was in high school, as was the case for my situation.

In my case, I was a teenage girl and she was a woman, so pregnancy wasn't an issue.
You say you're still bitter. IMO, you have reason to be. You were a kid, really, and she was a grownup, and you trusted her. Have you spoken to anyone about this? A professional?

When we're very young we think we're "ready" for what more sophisticated people are doing, but we CAN be hurt, and badly. She was wrong and you were underage and in a position well beneath her, a position where she would have seemed larger than life in your eyes. I think you should speak to someone who would be understanding and give you some perspective.

FWIW, I personally don't think this is about pregnancy at all. (And anyway, didn't that one female teacher get PG by her 15-year-old student? So there's no guarantee there either.) More to the point, it can mess with one's head, badly.

I am really sorry.

Old 10-03-2018, 12:49 PM

5,573 posts, read 3,346,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
Eh. I am good friends with a couple. They met when he was a high school senior and she was a first-year teacher. Not sure if their relationship started when he was still in school, but they've been married for 20 years and both are influential leaders in the same community.
I hope to God she's not still a teacher

Old 10-03-2018, 12:51 PM

4,050 posts, read 6,139,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
I am really sorry.
Thank you for your kind words. I might decide to talk to a professional about it.

Old 10-03-2018, 12:53 PM

23,173 posts, read 26,189,754 times
In tons of posts on here, posters 21/22 years old are frequently told they're "not old enough " or mature enough .
So what do you say about my brother's art teacher, fresh out of college at 22.He was a high school senior
but still only 17 at the time.

Old 10-03-2018, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
In tons of posts on here, posters 21/22 years old are frequently told they're "not old enough " or mature enough .
So what do you say about my brother's art teacher, fresh out of college at 22.He was a high school senior
She's a 22 year old pedophile?

Old 10-03-2018, 12:56 PM

23,173 posts, read 26,189,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homina12 View Post
I hope to God she's not still a teacher
Why?
If there was a god, do you think he'd care about this?

Old 10-03-2018, 12:57 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,733,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homina12 View Post
She's a 22 year old pedophile?
The child was 17, I don’t consider that a pedophile for a 22 year old.

Quote:
Why?
Because she apparently can't be trusted around people she's not supposed to have sex with.

30,902 posts, read 32,995,285 times
Quote:
Still wrong. She was in a certain position which entails trust. In addition, if she would be that unprofessional - go ahead and date a student, and a minor, no less - she would, IMO, cross boundaries elsewhere, because somehow, the rules just don't apply to her. She's different, somehow. So it's okay for her to break the law in several ways (assuming age of consent in their state is 18).

I'm not impressed by this woman, at least from what you've said (obviously I don't know her), and I definitely wouldn't want someone in a position of authority who thought fudging established lines was fine when she was the one in the driver's seat, being in a position of power over my children. (Sorry for the run-on sentence.)

What other rules - actually, laws - does your SIL casually decide don't apply to her? Just curious. Or is this it, at least that you know of?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships