Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2018, 10:01 PM

11,120 posts, read 5,581,330 times

Advertisements

This is only partially on topic, but it may be amusing enough to be passable. Once I bought a moderately expensive and very nice gift for a girlfriend for her upcoming birthday. It was something that I got in a distant city and couldn't be returned. But then, we had a complete breakup before her birthday and so I stuck the gift in a drawer and forgot about it for several years.

Then, a new girlfriend came into my life and had a birthday coming up soon. I shouldn't need to tell you what I did, except to say that I'm big on recycling. I saw that gift sitting there and figured she would really like it. But when she opened it, she became very angry, accusing me of having bought it for someone else and being such a cheapskate for trying to pass it off on her. How could she have possibly known?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2018, 10:06 PM

102,177 posts, read 107,754,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McDonald View Post
This is only partially on topic, but it may be amusing enough to be passable. Once I bought a moderately expensive and very nice gift for a girlfriend for her upcoming birthday. It was something that I got in a distant city and couldn't be returned. But then, we had a complete breakup before her birthday and so I stuck the gift in a drawer and forgot about it for several years.

Then, a new girlfriend came into my life and had a birthday coming up soon. I shouldn't need to tell you what I did, except to say that I'm big on recycling. I saw that gift sitting there and figured she would really like it. But when she opened it, she became very angry, accusing me of having bought it for someone else and being such a cheapskate for trying to pass it off on her. How could she have possibly known?
Maybe it was an out-of-date gift, you know--something that was fashionable a few years ago, but no longer is.

Old 10-20-2018, 10:57 PM

11,120 posts, read 5,581,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Maybe it was an out-of-date gift, you know--something that was fashionable a few years ago, but no longer is.
It's been so long ago, I've forgotten what it actually was. It was definitely not a Nehru jacket or a Pet Rock. But if she didn't like things that were out-of-style, why was she interested in me?

Old 10-20-2018, 11:15 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,905,499 times
If I got sex on my birthday, I was happy. Your standards are too high.

Old 10-20-2018, 11:59 PM

17,643 posts, read 9,140,457 times
I am pretty sure the issue here is the money. His money. A lot of it.

Why are so many people ignoring that? He paid for this expensive "gift" that she gave him.

Old 10-21-2018, 12:27 AM

16,961 posts, read 17,326,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trump_Tower View Post
Yeah, seriously, I've never been to Italy. I'll gladly take your place, bro.

I been to Italy a couple times when I lived in Switzerland, but I would not specifically go there to drive a car, unless they were to give me a Koenigsegg One:1, or McLaren Formula1 track car for a few days. Not your everyday European car like a turbo charged Peugeot, or BMW M series Lol.

Old 10-21-2018, 04:15 AM

12,585 posts, read 16,940,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redplum33 View Post

Why are so many people ignoring that? He paid for this expensive "gift" that she gave him.
Yeah, I got that.

I would save up for a gift to buy something.

Actually that happened to me. I received a gift and later found out she charged it. Didn’t like that.
Basically because it’s on a card that now is gaining interest.

At least it was a better gift than a gift card from Sears.

Old 10-21-2018, 07:09 AM

29,734 posts, read 34,345,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redplum33 View Post

Not his money. Their money. I don't think people are ignoring that, but a.) he never said they couldn't afford it, and b.) many couples have a joint account, so any gift bought from that account is technically bought with some of their own money. It's not necessarily nefarious.

Old 10-21-2018, 08:49 AM

49,932 posts, read 59,886,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
Not his money. Their money. I don't think people are ignoring that, but a.) he never said they couldn't afford it, and b.) many couples have a joint account, so any gift bought from that account is technically bought with some of their own money. It's not necessarily nefarious.
I agree. That's a technicality.

Sometimes it really bothers you when someone you've been with a long time gets you a gift that just isn't right, and you feel frustrated that they don't know you better. Like they don't get you well enough to understand what would turn you off about that particular gift, ESPECIALLY if it's a big-deal thing that involved travel or lots of time.

I suspect that there is a lot more to this story, although I doubt the OP will be back.

Old 10-21-2018, 08:55 AM

23,170 posts, read 26,173,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post
I doubt the OP will be back.
You're probably right about that even though we're probably all curious as to what he decided to do
But we get left with cliffhangers a lot ….have to think up our own endings
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships