Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2018, 03:25 PM

22,278 posts, read 21,725,695 times

Advertisements

Other women "really feel not wanted" when their boyfriend says he doesn't want a single person to know they are together. Did you read the OP?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2018, 03:43 PM

30,902 posts, read 32,998,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetdreams2013 View Post
Why is everyone making OP the bad guy here? Yes he should let this girl know if it wants to be official or not, but what business is it to everyone else?

Also do other women really feel not wanted if you're not showed off like a shiny new toy?
If we're actively hidden and sworn to secrecy lest anyone find out we exist in the man's life, yes, we really feel not wanted. You wouldn't?

Old 10-24-2018, 04:52 PM

378 posts, read 230,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
If we're actively hidden and sworn to secrecy lest anyone find out we exist in the man's life, yes, we really feel not wanted. You wouldn't?
Actively hidden out of shame? Yeah. Actively hidden out of need for privacy? No I wouldn't feel unwanted.

Perhaps it's something I fail to grasp about romantic relationships that entitles others to know about it.

Old 10-24-2018, 04:56 PM

30,902 posts, read 32,998,960 times
Quote:
Actively hidden out of shame? Yeah. Actively hidden out of need for privacy? No I wouldn't feel unwanted.

Perhaps it's something I fail to grasp about romantic relationships that entitles others to know about it.
Perhaps, or it could be your own hyperbole that's getting in the way of imagining why this could bother someone.

Old 10-24-2018, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
Perhaps, or it could be your own hyperbole that's getting in the way of imagining why this could bother someone.
I get it. It's plays with your self-esteem. If it bothers the girl OP is seeing then she should tell him. If OP doesn't wish to compromise then she's free to move on and find someone more compatible.

I'm not saying OP is in the right, but not being a people's person doesn't make him wrong. He and this girl clearly have different views on the subject. Doesn't make either right or wrong just incompatible.

Old 10-24-2018, 05:52 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,935,627 times
Quote:
I get it. It's plays with your self-esteem. If it bothers the girl OP is seeing then she should tell him. If OP doesn't wish to compromise then she's free to move on and find someone more compatible.

I'm not saying OP is in the right, but not being a people's person doesn't make him wrong. He and this girl clearly have different views on the subject. Doesn't make either right or wrong just incompatible.
Sort of ...

My concern isn't even about the girlfriend and whether or not she feels validated by this guy she's dating. It's whether the OP is even really capable of a relationship, based on this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by joogger View Post
I am introverted and don't like the attention. Feel like people are pressuring me and dictating my life and I don't get a say.
This ^^ is a VERY concerning phrase.

IDK if he is actually introverted or just antisocial. Something is going on for him to feel this ^^^ way. And sometimes when people get teased because they are quiet or don't have great social skills, they become this cynical type of shy that really doesn't like other people and sits back and judges.

That's why I think this has something to do with control. He basically said it. He wants to have a say. So if he's not ready to date her publicly, he's probably not ready to date her period, and he needs to own that.

Old 10-24-2018, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post
Sort of ...

My concern isn't even about the girlfriend and whether or not she feels validated by this guy she's dating. It's whether the OP is even really capable of a relationship, based on this:

This ^^ is a VERY concerning phrase.

IDK if he is actually introverted or just antisocial. Something is going on for him to feel this ^^^ way. And sometimes when people get teased because they are quiet or don't have great social skills, they become this cynical type of shy that really doesn't like other people and sits back and judges.

That's why I think this has something to do with control. He basically said it. He wants to have a say. So if he's not ready to date her publicly, he's probably not ready to date her period, and he needs to own that.
A relationship is between all those involved. In this case, OP and this girl. They set the rules, conditions, boundaries which means they both have a say in how their relationship goes. The girl wants to go public and he doesn't. It's an incompatibility.

As for OP not being capable of a relationship, I must have missed something that declares all romantic relations must be broadcasted. I get some people want to share their love with others and that's okay. This doesn't make those who don't incapable of relationships. They just have different values.

Old 10-24-2018, 06:40 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,935,627 times
Quote:
I must have missed something that declares all romantic relations must be broadcasted.
I must have missed that too because I haven't seen anyone say that.

Old 10-24-2018, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post
I must have missed that too because I haven't seen anyone say that.
Don't need to. It's heavily implied throughout the thread.

Old 10-24-2018, 06:50 PM

4,523 posts, read 3,405,909 times
Quote:
A relationship is between all those involved. In this case, OP and this girl. They set the rules, conditions, boundaries which means they both have a say in how their relationship goes. The girl wants to go public and he doesn't. It's an incompatibility.

As for OP not being capable of a relationship, I must have missed something that declares all romantic relations must be broadcasted. I get some people want to share their love with others and that's okay. This doesn't make those who don't incapable of relationships. They just have different values.
Except nobody is saying he has to paw over her or even show her off or brag about her in public. But at least an acknowledgment that they are together.

Makes me think he's not really that into her.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships