Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2018, 10:32 AM

1,724 posts, read 1,596,543 times

Advertisements

My wife has always been the type to make it obvious when she's 'in the mood' or not, (or at least receptive to it), and we communicate well, so I can't say we've ever really had an issue.

The other night though, we were discussing sexual assault and consent. During the conversation, she said that while it's nice for a guy to ask something like "can I kiss you" or "is this OK" - that to her, it would quickly get to a point whether it's annoying and a turnoff, if he asks every time he touches her, it would be a turnoff and he would (in her words) "seem like a bit of a p****".

The other thing I've read is that if she's "not as into it as you are" then stop - but I know women I've been with, who would insist to their grave that everything that we did was "OK" who didn't outwardly show much enthusiasm and probably never would.

So where's the happy medium? I'm glad I'm old and married!

I post this as someone who is seriously concerned about the issue (as we all should be), so please don't mistake this for snark.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2018, 11:38 AM

49,932 posts, read 59,754,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperDave72 View Post

The other night though, we were discussing sexual assault and consent. During the conversation, she said that while it's nice for a guy to ask something like "can I kiss you" or "is this OK" - that to her, it would quickly get to a point whether it's annoying and a turnoff, if he asks every time he touches her, it would be a turnoff and he would (in her words) "seem like a bit of a p****".
I agree with your wife. If we are to that point, I want to feel like he wants me, and not like we are negotiating a peace treaty.

I believe this kind of uncertainty about consent, though, really only would happen in the very early stages of getting together and hopefully wouldn't be a regular part of physical interaction.

Old 10-27-2018, 12:41 PM

2,916 posts, read 1,507,330 times
I would not want to be in my early 20s now. Now, with some people having consensual sex, and then the woman regrets it the next day and accuses the guy of something later because of that...

I've read numerous stories of this happening - and the truth often doesn't come out until things have progressed quite a ways - legally.

One lesson to take from that - don't have sex too early in a relationship.

But, I have seen ridiculous stories about what some college campus personnel push on the college kids. How the guy should ask the woman for everything, and maybe even get them to sign a consent form beforehand.

Crazy times we live in.

Old 10-27-2018, 12:47 PM

20,726 posts, read 16,283,321 times
There are many ways to "ask permission" that are not quite so literal. Ask "does this feel good?", "how is this?","do you want to keep going?", "should I stop?". Even just moving in very slowly for a kiss to give her/him plenty of time to turn their head is something that is smart to do if you're not sure. Making sure that your positioning is not aggressive and overbearing so they can easily extricate themselves if they don't feel comfortable. People make this stuff difficult when it's really about being empathetic and making it easy for the other person to say NO. Of course, that's the last thing some guys want to do so they rush, and pressure, and don't ask, and put all their physical weight on a woman instead.

Old 10-27-2018, 01:20 PM

1,593 posts, read 773,000 times
Don’t get involved with someone you don’t trust. (And who doesn’t trust you.)

Old 10-27-2018, 01:23 PM

102,126 posts, read 107,381,087 times
The asking permission recommendation is intended mainly for the first couple of times a couple has sex, so that there are no misunderstandings that might later lead to serious charges. After a couple knows each other well, and are in a steady relationship, generally it's not necessary, barring cases of deliberate marital rape, which used to be considered a husband's prerogative.

Last edited by Ruth4Truth; 10-27-2018 at 01:45 PM..

Old 10-27-2018, 01:39 PM

2,949 posts, read 1,348,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by At Arms Length View Post

Bingo!

Old 10-27-2018, 01:41 PM

2,949 posts, read 1,348,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruth4truth View Post
the asking permission recommendation is intended mainly for the first couple of times a couple has sex, so that there are no misunderstandings that might later lead to serious charges. After a couple knows each other well, and are in a steady relationship, generally it's not necessary, barring cases of deliberate marital rape, which used to be considered a husband's prerogative.
+1

Old 10-27-2018, 06:51 PM

20,726 posts, read 16,283,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by At Arms Length View Post
Usually there is trust until someone does something unexpected...few people would say they get involved with someone they distrust.

Old 10-28-2018, 04:33 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,877,650 times
The govt has established a no win scenario for men.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships