Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2018, 04:22 AM

10,609 posts, read 12,115,646 times

Advertisements

I find mismatched couples fascinating...just as a curiosity.

Of course, opposites can attract, in all kinds of ways.
Mostly, of course you can notice big age differences, or size differences. But also how they dress.
And if there's a big age difference, AND one is more attractive than the other..... that may draw attention as well.

Mostly I'll notice that the women may be in shape, dressed to the nines, heels, hair done, full face of make up....and the male will be in jeans, regular shirt with his gut hanging over belt (IF his shirt is even tucked in). I rarely see it the other way around. HE is smartly dressed, and SHE looks like she just got up.

Personally, I'm not one to dress up, so I jut always wonder about the female putting all that effort into looking great, and the male looks like he just rolled out of bed. What's up with that?

If it works for them, of course that's all that matters.
I just find it interesting.

And I'd imagine it'd be easier to be in a relationship with that kind of mismatch -- vs an intellectual kind of mismatch. Personally, I couldn't be in a relationship with someone less smart/educated/generally knowledgebale than I am.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2018, 04:28 AM

8,923 posts, read 7,715,601 times
Not really for us to understand so there is no one size fits all explanation.

We don't know how they make each other feel, we don't know how they met, we don't know what was going on that day, etc. There are a lot of unknown unknowns. Relationships are very personal and full of variables we aren't aware of. Just do you.

Old 10-29-2018, 06:08 AM

15,013 posts, read 21,642,088 times
I agree with Aurelia that it doesn’t really matter what we think.
But to humor you: Perhaps it’s regional but I see a lot of women out of shape with men who are in shape. As far as clothing and dressing, I’ve not noticed any vast differences.

Old 10-29-2018, 07:06 AM

880 posts, read 531,268 times
Im a lot more attractive and in much better shape than my partner who is 15yrs older than i am. I also dress very smart for work because i am in management and thus my wardrobe tends to be smarter in general. He works for a tech company that has a relaxed atmosphere so jeans is his uniform. Outside of work we still tend to dress the same.
While we may be quite a mismatch upon first glance as soon as you interact with us you can see the chemistry, we are intellectually similar, share identical dark humor, and just seem to bounce of each other.

Even though m dressed up when im at work or doing something social there are times when i just want to go to walmart in my pjs. In those instances he refuses to join me...lol

Old 10-29-2018, 07:47 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,332,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post

Personally, I'm not one to dress up, so I jut always wonder about the female putting all that effort into looking great, and the male looks like he just rolled out of bed. What's up with that?

I've noticed that since I was a kid in the 70s.
Always found it odd.
And not regional - seen it all over the world.

Old 10-29-2018, 08:09 AM

9,368 posts, read 6,967,418 times
Quote:

Mostly, of course you can notice big age differences, or size differences. But also how they dress.
And if there's a big age difference, AND one is more attractive than the other..... that may draw attention as well.

Mostly I'll notice that the women may be in shape, dressed to the nines, heels, hair done, full face of make up....and the male will be in jeans, regular shirt with his gut hanging over belt (IF his shirt is even tucked in). I rarely see it the other way around. HE is smartly dressed, and SHE looks like she just got up.

And I'd imagine it'd be easier to be in a relationship with that kind of mismatch -- vs an intellectual kind of mismatch. Personally, I couldn't be in a relationship with someone less smart/educated/generally knowledgebale than I am.
That’s your public impression. She may take 2 hours to be an 8 but roll out of bed as a 6; whereas, he’s a constant 7. A rather simplistic way of putting it but just trying to make a point.

There’s only so much contouring, high heels, and a pushup bra can really do.

Old 10-29-2018, 08:15 AM

3,926 posts, read 2,033,417 times
Quote:

Yeah, I know this one guy, I'll call him George Costanza because that's the close I can think of the kind of guy he looks like. Short, overweight, bad breath, nose hairs a mile long, etc.

He's a photographer of models. His current live-in girlfriend and him togehter. When they enter a room, you would NEVER in a million years think they were together. Maybe him being the boss and her a suborinate or a relative or they didn't look like they were together.

Good looking men would be thrown off by this because she is an equivalent to these men in looks. Then they see this frumpy, unkempt guy with baggy jeans and a base ball cap...with the g/f dressed to the nines (little black dress and heals) It leaves your scratching your head. To be honest, I'm surprised she's not embarrassed to be with him when they do go out on the down considering how he dresses in an overly casual fashion.

IN fact, he's even down on himself about his own appearance, even says he thought he was too ugly for her...and even stays out of most photos. If he does, he is always wearing a hat and sunglasses. She's a model and belly dancer, small, petite, and a rock hard bod, him...looks like he's never seen a gym or a dumbbell.

And if this dude is a freelance photographer, I'm sure he's not drawing in money like a doctor or lawyer.

He said he simply got lucky.

Old 10-29-2018, 09:38 AM

27,074 posts, read 11,841,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auraliea View Post
Not really for us to understand so there is no one size fits all explanation.

We don't know how they make each other feel, we don't know how they met, we don't know what was going on that day, etc. There are a lot of unknown unknowns. Relationships are very personal and full of variables we aren't aware of. Just do you.

This.

Who's to say what couple is mismatched? If the relationship works, it's NOT a mismatch.

Old 10-29-2018, 10:24 AM

2,258 posts, read 1,136,150 times
Quote:

It depends on many factors. Alot of people pair up with people to avoid being by themselves, or thats the best they can do depending on their agenda. I suspect very good looking women dressed to the nines with men with fat guts because of money, and vice versa. When I see pretty women paired with not so good looking guys, I tend to think she doesnt have her stuff together. I assume that a true pairing of the two based on real attraction is the outlier.

Old 10-29-2018, 10:32 AM

30,907 posts, read 32,984,452 times
I realize this isn't true for everybody but I have observed it in many people: as we get older we start to become "more ourselves." So if the wife was already a nice dresser she may pay even more attention to that. If the guy was "casual" he might lean toward sloppy. (Just using the examples shown in this thread.) Those are just physical things - I find personality does this too. Outspoken people become "outrageously outspoken," people who didn't love going out before become homebodies, etc.

Again, this isn't everyone, but I've seen it so many times that my husband and I have actually discussed it. It's just been that notable, at least for us.

So the upshot in this type of case would be: the couple already had differences but now those seem more pronounced.

I've seen the opposite occasionally too, BTW...couples who start to act alike and even as elderly people literally start to look alike.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships