Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2018, 04:16 PM

10,341 posts, read 5,862,033 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by buildings_and_bridges View Post
I would've loved this! Granted, I don't have a dog myself, so I would welcome the opportunity to meet/play with my date's dog. The only thing that would make it a deal-breaker? If he wanted to bring the dog on every. single. date.
I love dogs, too. Why is it too cold for OP to eat outside at a patio that allows dogs, but not too cold to go hiking...hmmm. I don't believe she really likes dogs all that much, or she would have brought hers as well.

Go to a dog park without your own dog?.

I've been on at least 50 OLD dates, never once did a guy bring his dog, even though I go crazy for them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2018, 06:37 PM

408 posts, read 430,660 times
Hiking is exercise -- it involves exercising and moving around. Dinner is sitting in one place, having a drink and relaxing. As for not bringing my dog -- I already stated she's older, not a puppy. She has a big yard at home and doesn't really run around much anymore. She doesn't really like socializing with other dogs either so it's stressful on her to be there. I wasn't rude, I was happy to go to the dog park with his dog, but it was getting there and struggling to find him for 45 minutes because he couldn't bother waiting. But perhaps you are just more suited to date these dog guys than myself.

Old 11-01-2018, 06:39 PM

4,088 posts, read 2,557,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RbccL View Post
I love dogs, too. Why is it too cold for OP to eat outside at a patio that allows dogs, but not too cold to go hiking...hmmm. I don't believe she really likes dogs all that much, or she would have brought hers as well.

Go to a dog park without your own dog?.

I've been on at least 50 OLD dates, never once did a guy bring his dog, even though I go crazy for them.
To play devil's advocate, when you're up and moving around it doesn't feel nearly as chilly as sitting still on a patio on a (likely) metal seat does--especially if the O.P. is a Lady of Perpetual Cold like me. Been there, done that. Brrrr.

I've been on a second date where my date brought his dog (he first asked if it would be okay with me). As we'd planned a light picnic with a nice walk and Frisbee toss afterwards, it was appropriate both temperature and venue-wise. The dog added rather than detracted from our enjoyment of one another's company as he was/is a very good, well-behaved, friendly pup. Having a dog along on a first date is something that I'd have to take on a case-by-case basis as I really like some dogs, but don't love all canines as a rule.

Old 11-01-2018, 06:48 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,908,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxthinkpinkxo View Post
... it was getting there and struggling to find him for 45 minutes because he couldn't bother waiting.
Yeah, that was ridiculous.

After 10 minutes of his texting me photos, I'd have been like, "Look, dude, I am by the gate. If you want to meet, please walk this way." LOL

Dating is a process!!!

Old 11-01-2018, 06:56 PM

2,761 posts, read 2,228,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gusano View Post
It’s weird. One guy’s doing it could just be unusual. Three is weird. It’s as though they are following a little script someone gave them.
I guess all three have had various degrees of success of meeting/hooking up with women because of their dogs. Maybe for them it's their perfect wingman cuz having three is odd. Must be a lot of sex success because of their pets.

Old 11-01-2018, 08:10 PM

10,341 posts, read 5,862,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Formerly Known As Twenty View Post
To play devil's advocate, when you're up and moving around it doesn't feel nearly as chilly as sitting still on a patio on a (likely) metal seat does--especially if the O.P. is a Lady of Perpetual Cold like me. Been there, done that. Brrrr.

I've been on a second date where my date brought his dog (he first asked if it would be okay with me). As we'd planned a light picnic with a nice walk and Frisbee toss afterwards, it was appropriate both temperature and venue-wise. The dog added rather than detracted from our enjoyment of one another's company as he was/is a very good, well-behaved, friendly pup. Having a dog along on a first date is something that I'd have to take on a case-by-case basis as I really like some dogs, but don't love all canines as a rule.
I understand that, but I would’ve had a jacket if it was 50, I dress in layers at this time of year, especially for outdoor activities. I love dogs, I would’ve been ok. I’ll take these guys with dogs, who actually want to meet and DO something. 😍

Old 11-01-2018, 08:25 PM

37,593 posts, read 45,960,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxthinkpinkxo View Post
I've had this happen with three separate guys recently. I don't mind having the dog there itself but each date has required us to alter the plans in order to have the dog there.

Specifically --

On the first date, we went hiking and he brought his dog. After the hike we decided to get dinner. Since the dog was there we had to sit at an outside table which was FREEZING. Like 50 degrees that day. And we had to end the date right after the dinner so he could take his dog home and feed her.

The second date was a different guy. First time ever meeting. We settled for a beer after work. He suggested a place that has a "dog friendly patio" so he could bring his puppy. That wasn't a problem because the patio was heated and covered. And I understood that he got off work and didn't want to leave his puppy for another two hours after she'd already been home alone all day. The annoying thing was, it felt like we spent the majority of the date talking about his puppy, sort of making comments about what the dog was doing (nothing other than sniffing around, etc).

The third instance was another first date at a dog park. This guy and I were texting a bit prior, and I kind of knew he was a "dog dad" because he'd send me updates about his dog pretty frequently and a lot of photos. So anyway we were supposed to get coffees and walk over to the dog park together. I get there at the assigned time and the guy has already arrived and he's inside the park with his dog. I try to find him but I can't. It's a huge park. Meanwhile, instead of just staying in one place so I can find him, he's moving around and sending me updates and photos of his dog "Look at her swimming, she's having so much fun!" Completely oblivious to the fact that I'm frustratingly trying to find him. I was trying hard to hide my annoyance when we finally met after 45 minutes.

Ok and so you know, l am dog person myself, I have a dog and the dog itself isn't the problem. It's the whole "dog dad" thing that I'm realizing is kind of annoying. Obsessing over their dog and altering plans in order to accommodate the dog. I feel like on a first/second date (which all of these were) it just makes more sense to focus on the person your with. Anyone else experience this?

Now, when I see men in their dating profiles who make comments like "I have the cutest little puppy" and they have multiple pictures with their dog, I am a little leery.
HUGE turn off. That's just nuts.

I love puppies, and most dogs, but I don't want one - and this is the main reason. I don't want to have to manage my life around a dog. If my date couldn't manage to figure out how to go on a date without his canine, then he's not someone I want to spend time with.

Old 11-01-2018, 08:34 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,509,477 times
I love my dogs.

That said if I was on a date unless we both specifically agreed to some activity where bringing the dogs was a option they would stay home.

Old 11-01-2018, 08:46 PM

2,916 posts, read 1,514,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
HUGE turn off. That's just nuts.

I love puppies, and most dogs, but I don't want one - and this is the main reason. I don't want to have to manage my life around a dog. If my date couldn't manage to figure out how to go on a date without his canine, then he's not someone I want to spend time with.
Yes indeed

Old 11-01-2018, 10:28 PM

23,265 posts, read 18,777,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinsativ View Post
OK, just WOW, How did you get there? OMG!!
Yeah. And on top of that, that poster can't even spell it right!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships