Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2018, 03:45 PM

3,926 posts, read 2,023,826 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJenkins602 View Post
Actually, one thing I see is that this could get people back into an older style of dating...
Right, I mean...this idea of a bot will remind the ghoster, "Hey, you were corresponding pretty nicely with this person, why ruin this opportunity by cutting them off?"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2018, 05:00 PM

9,301 posts, read 8,323,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisTown123 View Post
Right, I mean...this idea of a bot will remind the ghoster, "Hey, you were corresponding pretty nicely with this person, why ruin this opportunity by cutting them off?"
But then some people would still ghost even with the reminders.

I personally like meeting people in person and dating the old way (even though that has a high likelihood of ghosting as well, but then I'm an easy person to ghost).

Old 11-09-2018, 05:41 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,334,679 times
I wish there was more accountability in relationships. People should tell someone "I'm not interested." The inability to do this indicates a lack of backbone.

No, no one should be forced into continuing an involvement they don't want, but if they refuse to even communicate they aren't interested, I think a dating site should have a policy banning people who do this too many times.

Old 11-09-2018, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
I wish there was more accountability in relationships. People should tell someone "I'm not interested." The inability to do this indicates a lack of backbone.

No, no one should be forced into continuing an involvement they don't want, but if they refuse to even communicate they aren't interested, I think a dating site should have a policy banning people who do this too many times.
Seeing as I've already banned online dating...

Yeah, I don't like ghosting. Unfortunately, this is a part of dating these days...

Old 11-09-2018, 07:13 PM

30,907 posts, read 32,927,258 times
Quote:

Yeah, but I mean, if you haven't even met yet...? Wouldn't it be weird to make some official breakup proclamation or apology because you exchanged 3 VMs and weren't that interested? So unnecessary, IMO.

In the old days, so to speak, if you talked to a guy a few times in the phone and/or went out once or twice and then one of you just sort of didn't call back, or it fizzled, nobody freaked or called it ghosting. We called it not very interested. And yes, it absolutely happened.

Old 11-10-2018, 09:03 AM

19,492 posts, read 12,122,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
Yeah, but I mean, if you haven't even met yet...? Wouldn't it be weird to make some official breakup proclamation or apology because you exchanged 3 VMs and weren't that interested? So unnecessary, IMO.

In the old days, so to speak, if you talked to a guy a few times in the phone and/or went out once or twice and then one of you just sort of didn't call back, or it fizzled, nobody freaked or called it ghosting. We called it not very interested. And yes, it absolutely happened.
I know right? It's not like blowing someone off is something new. lol. People are way too sensitive these days. I know of someone who was "ghosted" after a three year exclusive relationship. Now THAT is harsh.

Old 11-10-2018, 09:13 AM

48,436 posts, read 34,627,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RbccL View Post
People don’t just quit responding because they “forgot” and need a reminder. If they’re messsaging at a dating site and they lose interest, or were only trying to be polite by responding in the first place, they don’t need their mom to continually remind them to “be nice, and answer the man.” Maybe the other person isn’t appealing?

It says the Bot will go through the other persons profile and “suggest something for you to talk about.” So... can I just go out with the Bot then, since he’s the one with appropriate/basic conversational skills?
This.

I would NOT sign up if they did something like that, it's weird.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 11-10-2018, 10:36 AM

4,717 posts, read 3,251,941 times
Quote:
I wish there were more accountability in relationships. People should tell someone "I'm not interested." The inability to do this indicates a lack of backbone.
I agree- one guy I liked "ghosted" me after the second date. I got the message but a simple "I enjoyed our meetings but I'm not interested in pursuing a relationship" would have been nice. I suppose people don't do that because they're afraid the recipient will respond angrily, defensively, whatever.

Match already has the ability to generate "canned" messages. If you and a person you're interested in are both, say, into travel, it brings up a box with, "I see you're into travel. What places are on your bucket list?" I ignore any canned messages I get from guys. If you can't even send me an original note, that's not a good sign.

Old 11-10-2018, 10:42 AM

19,492 posts, read 12,122,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post
I agree- one guy I liked "ghosted" me after the second date. I got the message but a simple "I enjoyed our meetings but I'm not interested in pursuing a relationship" would have been nice. I suppose people don't do that because they're afraid the recipient will respond angrily, defensively, whatever.

Match already has the ability to generate "canned" messages. If you and a person you're interested in are both, say, into travel, it brings up a box with, "I see you're into travel. What places are on your bucket list?" I ignore any canned messages I get from guys. If you can't even send me an original note, that's not a good sign.
I think that is something that a lot of men might be more comfortable with - a more technical approach. But yeah more women could get turned off by the impersonal nature of a canned response.

Old 11-10-2018, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
I know right? It's not like blowing someone off is something new. lol. People are way too sensitive these days. I know of someone who was "ghosted" after a three year exclusive relationship. Now THAT is harsh.
That's heartbreaking...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships