Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2018, 12:45 PM

3,852 posts, read 4,129,410 times

Advertisements

I also planned to suggest a gift for the family as a whole. My brother once brought a girlfriend to our family Christmas and she gave everyone gifts. She had obviously put effort and thought into the gifts, but I think they were a little "off" and I thought it seemed like she was trying too hard.

At the holidays, you can't go wrong with edible gifts.

As for the lunch, why not discuss this in advance with your parents so there is no awkwardness? My parents rarely allow me to pay for a meal out when we're all together, but everyone is different.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2018, 12:50 PM

553 posts, read 299,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapsChick View Post

As for the lunch, why not discuss this in advance with your parents so there is no awkwardness? My parents rarely allow me to pay for a meal out when we're all together, but everyone is different.
Agreed about the lunch. Talk to your dad before. Tell him if you are going to pay or if you want your dad to pay. That way when the waiter comes with the bill, only one person grabs it (you or your dad). If for bf's family grabs it, its easy for you to smile and say "our treat "

Old 11-14-2018, 12:59 PM

1,178 posts, read 681,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Levels77 View Post
Agreed about the lunch. Talk to your dad before. Tell him if you are going to pay or if you want your dad to pay. That way when the waiter comes with the bill, only one person grabs it (you or your dad). If for bf's family grabs it, its easy for you to smile and say "our treat "
I am guessing my dad won’t let me pay.

I will talk to them ahead of time though.

Old 11-14-2018, 01:22 PM

20,225 posts, read 14,453,521 times
With regard to the flowers, poinsettias or otherwise, do they have pets? If they have pets, then houseplants are not the best choice and poinsettias are known to be toxic to cats and dogs.

If you live in a cold climate, I'd consider maybe an attractive and soft throw blanket as a hostess gift, perhaps scarves or warm socks. Second the notion of pestering your bf for info on what his brother likes. Favorite color, animal, sport, food, hobby...something. If you know any such thing about him, then fasten on to that and gift him some small thing relevant to it.

Old 11-14-2018, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
With regard to the flowers, poinsettias or otherwise, do they have pets? If they have pets, then houseplants are not the best choice and poinsettias are known to be toxic to cats and dogs.

If you live in a cold climate, I'd consider maybe an attractive and soft throw blanket as a hostess gift, perhaps scarves or warm socks. Second the notion of pestering your bf for info on what his brother likes. Favorite color, animal, sport, food, hobby...something. If you know any such thing about him, then fasten on to that and gift him some small thing relevant to it.
They currently have no pets. They hada dog but she died and they have not got another. I will pester him a little bit more.

Old 11-14-2018, 03:59 PM

35,512 posts, read 17,705,812 times
How about a pretty tray with holiday goodies, and the tray is part of the gift?

Old 11-14-2018, 04:27 PM

13,262 posts, read 7,939,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inacitysomewhere View Post
Ok thanks. That is kinda what I thought.

What do I take for someone I haven’t met? A gift card maybe?

What if you took some special chocolate from a local place, or maybe special Christmas cookies from a local bakery?

Old 11-14-2018, 04:52 PM

7,400 posts, read 6,335,737 times
I like the idea of wine and holiday goodies basket.

Old 11-14-2018, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
How about a pretty tray with holiday goodies, and the tray is part of the gift?
I like this too. That is sweet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships