Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2018, 04:02 AM

3,926 posts, read 2,034,852 times

Advertisements

Quote:
I believe in God and the Bible
I have noticed an influx of women who typically have admitted to have "closing up shop" to men. Usually this is consistent women in the 40+ years. I recall a single Christian single woman (YES, even Christian women), over 50, very attractive, intelligent that has found contentment in her platonic friendships and nieces and nephews and rejects tons of date offers from men. She also wants to focus more on God and I thought she may as well join a convent then. I mean, you can't do that AND have a boyfriend?

She has a lot of what I'm looking for in a woman...but...she has to be willing to date, but she isn't. You would think a Christian woman would be more so desiring marriage or someone in their life, but...it's rather ironic she isn't. Seems almost unnatural.

I'm sure this is a component of the modern times. Women who did this in the 1950s were few and far between.

Men aren't really as desirable to women as they once were.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2018, 06:11 AM

41,937 posts, read 36,951,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by At Arms Length View Post
Assume I'm stupid. What makes a guy a good catch?

That is for individuals to decide. Not society. What makes a good catch to my partner is completely different than will make a good catch to another person. The idea that if a guy does ABC and is XYZ, he will be a "good catch" is patently absurd.

Old 12-01-2018, 06:53 AM

1,593 posts, read 776,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
That is for individuals to decide. Not society. What makes a good catch to my partner is completely different than will make a good catch to another person. The idea that if a guy does ABC and is XYZ, he will be a "good catch" is patently absurd.
That sounds like a copput. Surely there are some common characteristics.

Old 12-01-2018, 08:51 AM

9,470 posts, read 10,800,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisTown123 View Post
I have noticed an influx of women who typically have admitted to have "closing up shop" to men. Usually this is consistent women in the 40+ years. I recall a single Christian single woman (YES, even Christian women), over 50, very attractive, intelligent that has found contentment in her platonic friendships and nieces and nephews and rejects tons of date offers from men. She also wants to focus more on God and I thought she may as well join a convent then. I mean, you can't do that AND have a boyfriend?

She has a lot of what I'm looking for in a woman...but...she has to be willing to date, but she isn't. You would think a Christian woman would be more so desiring marriage or someone in their life, but...it's rather ironic she isn't. Seems almost unnatural.

I'm sure this is a component of the modern times. Women who did this in the 1950s were few and far between.

Men aren't really as desirable to women as they once were.
Actually this is happening with men towards women as well. There are a lot more people in general snubbing marriage and family. The societal changes of the past few decades that have encouraged women to believe they don’t need men have empowered women no doubt. They have been so successful that women have taken a stronger stance towards men, even against men. The feminist movement has become very aggressive with METOO, lawsuits, prosecutions etc. These accusations are ruining men around the country, often for very minor offenses or for decades old accusations (Kavanaugh for example). Divorces almost always end in favor of the woman, even when she is at fault. Women are colder and more aggressive today than they were when I was dating. There are plenty of men reacting to all this by avoiding marriage and relationships as well. The whole MGTOW movement is a perfect example of the male reaction to the feminist aggression of today’s era. All of this is poisoning the well between the genders and it is actually having an effect on marriage rates and the family structure in our country. It really seems the genders simply don’t like each other anymore. I have been married 25 years, I am very thankful I met my wife back before all this and I am glad she is a woman who’s attitudes are of the old way. I could never tolerate a modern woman who thinks like some of the posters in here. I hate to say it but I would be one of those people who chooses singldom if I had to deal with all this.

Last edited by danielj72; 12-01-2018 at 09:00 AM..

Old 12-01-2018, 08:55 AM

8,923 posts, read 7,719,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
Actually this is happening with men towards women as well. There are a lot more people in general snubbing marriage and family. The societal changes of the past few decades that have encouraged women to believe they don’t need men have empowered women no doubt. They have been so successful that women have taken a stronger stance towards men, even against men. The feminist movement has become very aggressive with METOO, lawsuits, prosecutorions etc. These accusations are ruining men around the country, often for very minor offenses or for decades old accusations (Kavanaugh for example). Divorces almost always end in favor of the woman, even when she is at fault. Women are colder and more aggressive today than they were when I was dating. There are plenty of men reacting to all this by avoiding marriage and relationships as well. The whole MGTOW movement is a perfect example of the male reaction to the feminist aggression of today’s era. All of this is poisoning the well between the genders and it is actually having an effect on marriage rates and the family structure in our country. It really seems the genders simply don’t like each other anymore. I have been married 25 years, I am very thankful I met my wife back before all this and I am glad she is a woman who’s attitudes are of the old way. I could never tolerate a modern woman who thinks like some of the posters in here. I hate to say it but I would be one of those people who chooses singldom if I had to deal with all this
And that is why i'm so glad people are able to choose what type of life they want to live. If that's how you feel, fine. But nobody here is going to feel any type of way if you choose not to participate.

Last edited by Auraliea; 12-01-2018 at 10:12 AM..

Old 12-01-2018, 09:04 AM

2,483 posts, read 2,474,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
Actually this is happening with men towards women as well. There are a lot more people in general snubbing marriage and family. The societal changes of the past few decades that have encouraged women to believe they don’t need men have empowered women no doubt. They have been so successful that women have taken a stronger stance towards men, even against men. The feminist movement has become very aggressive with METOO, lawsuits, prosecutorions etc. These accusations are ruining men around the country, often for very minor offenses or for decades old accusations (Kavanaugh for example). Divorces almost always end in favor of the woman, even when she is at fault. Women are colder and more aggressive today than they were when I was dating. There are plenty of men reacting to all this by avoiding marriage and relationships as well. The whole MGTOW movement is a perfect example of the male reaction to the feminist aggression of today’s era. All of this is poisoning the well between the genders and it is actually having an effect on marriage rates and the family structure in our country. It really seems the genders simply don’t like each other anymore. I have been married 25 years, I am very thankful I met my wife back before all this and I am glad she is a woman who’s attitudes are of the old way. I could never tolerate a modern woman who thinks like some of the posters in here. I hate to say it but I would be one of those people who chooses singldom if I had to deal with all this
I would caution you not to view what you see here as representative of society as a whole. Online forums in general, this one being no exception, provide an echo chamber that amplify certain view points and agenda thumping to a level not really found offline. Most women don't want to either castrate or lock-up all hetro-men or fear 'developing a time machine to the past' and most men don't think women are riding carousels until father time stops the music.

Old 12-01-2018, 09:12 AM

29,744 posts, read 34,376,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auraliea View Post
And that is why i'm so glad people are able to choose what type of life they want to live. If that's how you feel but nobody here is going to feel any type of way if you choose not to participate.

I recently read Rebecca Traister's book All the Single Ladies. In it she writes a little about how in early North American colonial societies women were allowed to own property and manage their own finances, etc. When (male) leaders realized with that freedom women, even back then, were choosing to opt out of marriage and motherhood, laws were quickly implemented to force dependencies on men.

I've said it many times before, that for a certain kind of man, I completely get that having a housewife and domestic servant, frankly, is an appealing concept. For me, as someone who takes care of myself, the notion of having to make myself less in order to make someone else feel more makes me want to set the world on fire. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Old 12-01-2018, 09:35 AM

9,470 posts, read 10,800,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by picardlx View Post
I would caution you not to view what you see here as representative of society as a whole. Online forums in general, this one being no exception, provide an echo chamber that amplify certain view points and agenda thumping to a level not really found offline. Most women don't want to either castrate or lock-up all hetro-men or fear 'developing a time machine to the past' and most men don't think women are riding carousels until father time stops the music.
Of course CD is not the real world. However I do watch the news and know there are plenty of women out there who are exactly like those we hear in here. I know in some parts of America people who believe these things hold a significant majority. Thankfully I live in the South and I don’t see it in the real world. I don’t know or associate with people like that. Most people I know are happily married and normal. Of course it is said all this cultural garbage is coming from the under 35 crowd. I’ll admit I don’t know many of them and don’t know how pervasive these types of attitudes are among that generation in my area. The things my son says suggest at least some of them do believe these modern ideals regarding gender. Even if my conservative red state is somewhat insulated from this stuff I ask for how long? What long term damage to society will all this do?

Old 12-01-2018, 09:45 AM

1,532 posts, read 1,060,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
I recently read Rebecca Traister's book All the Single Ladies. In it she writes a little about how in early North American colonial societies women were allowed to own property and manage their own finances, etc. When (male) leaders realized with that freedom women, even back then, were choosing to opt out of marriage and motherhood, laws were quickly implemented to force dependencies on men.

I've said it many times before, that for a certain kind of man, I completely get that having a housewife and domestic servant, frankly, is an appealing concept. For me, as someone who takes care of myself, the notion of having to make myself less in order to make someone else feel more makes me want to set the world on fire. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Amen.

Old 12-01-2018, 10:16 AM

8,923 posts, read 7,719,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post

I just love how some people in here love to go on about the good old days, as if that was some how better than today. Some of the guys here have no idea. And the poster I quoted is simply talking out of fear and quite frankly ignorance because the world is doing what its supposed to do. Which is change. He's no better than the generation he's complaining about or the generation before them. Every generation has its pros and cons. Also "normal" is a subjective term.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships