Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2018, 03:55 PM

10,352 posts, read 7,986,475 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frihed89 View Post
Do you mean the time when we used to go out to keg parties in the woods and did....or the time when we went to bars and did....or the times we spent scrolling through hundreds of profiles, replied to many and nothing happened, or the time we when we went back to bars and did...?
Maybe he means the time when your parents told you who you were going to marry, and you HAD to marry that person even if you found him/her absolutely repulsive? That had to be easier than the modern dating scene, but I bet the resulting marriage left a lot to be desired from an emotional standpoint.

OP, finding a partner you love who also loves you back has NEVER been easy. The past was different from today; that's not the same as better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2018, 04:00 PM

4,717 posts, read 3,268,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
What things? Better for whom?
Whoever had the power at the time! 😏

Old 11-23-2018, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostee View Post
I largely agree and that was mostly what I had in mind. Everything is "controversial" today, there is no way I can imagine how we can talk about important or uncomfortable things without being shut down.
You have to wait until you've reached a certain level of emotional intimacy with your partner before bringing such subjects up. That's always been the case if you've wanted a truly happy relationship.

Old 11-23-2018, 04:18 PM

52,249 posts, read 52,668,250 times
Not sure I understand. What i think is that acceptance of the isness of the current reality is probably more inline with the reality.

Old 11-23-2018, 05:02 PM

2,718 posts, read 5,358,488 times
Looks like the OP is on a "woe is me" kick and uninterested in engaging in any type of dialog. What I don't understand is how a 20-something can lament what dating is like now vs what it was like back in the day when they have zero experience with back in the day.

Old 11-23-2018, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleasach View Post
Looks like the OP is on a "woe is me" kick and uninterested in engaging in any type of dialog. What I don't understand is how a 20-something can lament what dating is like now vs what it was like back in the day when they have zero experience with back in the day.
The OP has problems with anxiety and depression, hence his nostalgia for a “good old days” that never existed.

Old 11-23-2018, 05:54 PM

999 posts, read 553,520 times
One issue I see with the modern world is that many people have become impatient. The ease of access and general flow of things has shortened people's attentions spans. People want things NOW and they don't like to wait. After every bad experience, they continue going back on dating sites with this bitter energy and continue to attract non-matches and more terrible experiences. This is the type of person you hear ranting about how "there's no good men left" or "women are all golddiggers" or blah blah…

We are living in an era where we can basically manufacture most experiences we want at a fast pace, but this doesn't work in the realm of love. We have faster access to more people, but more people doesn't necessarily = a greater chance of finding the right person for you. If anything, it could make the process harder and more confusing--unless you have a healthy mindset about it. Compatible people are out there, but they might not be on the dating app we're looking at, or the area we live, or it might simply not be the right time in our lives to meet them.

I believe love is a magical thing that just happens to us when/if the time is right. But it's also important to remember that a lifelong partner is not something we are entitled to, and it never was.

Old 11-23-2018, 06:49 PM

7,759 posts, read 3,883,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frihed89 View Post
Do you mean the time when we used to go out to keg parties in the woods and did....or the time when we went to bars and did....or the times we spent scrolling through hundreds of profiles, replied to many and nothing happened, or the time we when we went back to bars and did...?
No, the time in which we were naked in the forest as hunter gatherers.

Old 11-23-2018, 07:14 PM

661 posts, read 521,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleasach View Post
Hey, I can at least talk about and express being frustrated about it.

Old 11-23-2018, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostee View Post
Hey, I can at least talk about and express being frustrated about it.
Talk is cheap. What are you actually going to DO to help improve your chances of meeting the right person?

If you are serious about wanting to date then get out there and start meeting people. Dates aren’t just magically going to come to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships