Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2018, 02:38 PM

661 posts, read 521,642 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Is that what the OP is complaining about, though? The difficulty in getting sex out of a woman, once you've asked her out, she's said yes, and you've had a couple of decent dates? Or is he complaining about something else? I could be wrong, since the OP hasn't told us what his beef is exactly, but I have the impression the OP is having trouble saying anything at all to women, issuing some semblance of an invitation, and achieving a positive response.

Do we even know what the topic is, that the OP would like to discuss? "Things were better before" is about as vague as you can get. What "things"? Better "when"? Better "how"?

Well my problem is that dating has got harder and now we unfortunately have an "incel" (or involuntarily celibate) problem among certain groups of people in society, a couple have got pretty violent and committed terrorist acts. Rather unfortunately, the "incels" have a point. There is also online dating which adds some fire to it. I don't identify myself as involuntarily celibate or even MGTOW, but what they are responding to is more prevalent in society than it was say no later than 20 years ago. Someone posted earlier about online dating.

I do believe sex should always be about mutual consent, but sex is more just tip of the iceberg even though I admit to looking forward to it too.

(Other Disclaimer: I did have one only girlfriend so far that lasted for a year with me "going away" because I was a little more naive, still thought she was cute in her own way)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2018, 02:44 PM

30,902 posts, read 32,998,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostee View Post
Well my problem is that dating has got harder and now we unfortunately have an "incel" (or involuntarily celibate) problem among certain groups of people in society, a couple have got pretty violent and committed terrorist acts. Rather unfortunately, the "incels" have a point. There is also online dating which adds some fire to it. I don't identify myself as involuntarily celibate or even MGTOW, but what they are responding to is more prevalent in society than it was say no later than 20 years ago. Someone posted earlier about online dating.

I do believe sex should always be about mutual consent, but sex is more just tip of the iceberg even though I admit to looking forward to it too.

(Other Disclaimer: I did have one only girlfriend so far that lasted for a year with me "going away" because I was a little more naive, still thought she was cute in her own way)
Well, people tend to take less responsibility for their own issues. That's a change I've seen. Rather than trying to fix the problem, some will say, "There's a problem I'm having. Everybody around me should change so it's easier for me."

In that golden era of yesteryear, one thing people did was the to fix their ish. I wasn't alive in the 50s but I can speak for the 70s (observation) and 80s (participation).

Old 11-24-2018, 02:57 PM

9,952 posts, read 6,674,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
Then I wonder why so many people wanted it to change, badly enough that there was pretty much a literal revolution no matter what the cost.
They didn’t love it. They learned they didn’t love it in World War II and even before that. My grandmother and all her sisters worked because their father was disabled and my great grandmother believed it was not in a woman’s best interest to have no viable skills. This was starting in the late 1920s. They all liked working. My grandmother and one other sister were even in masculine professions. People in my grandmother’s neighborhood loved having her as their doctor, but after World War II was over, she did not practice anymore. Meanwhile most men treated female patients horribly. My dad’s mom was a nurse so she worked as well. Many women worked. This idea that women stayed home and had no training is often a myth. Of course it was harder to be a doctor then.

Old 11-24-2018, 03:07 PM

5,324 posts, read 6,100,875 times
My grandparents hated each other but stayed together for the kids and because divorce was taboo.I never even saw them talk to each other in 13 years.

This idea that everything was amazing in the good ole days is just not true

Old 11-24-2018, 03:30 PM

661 posts, read 521,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBT1980 View Post
My grandparents hated each other but stayed together for the kids and because divorce was taboo.I never even saw them talk to each other in 13 years.

This idea that everything was amazing in the good ole days is just not true
No, taboos didn't go away, they just shifted in the opposite direction from where the old days were.

Old 11-24-2018, 03:35 PM

30,902 posts, read 32,998,960 times
Quote:
No, taboos didn't go away, they just shifted in the opposite direction from where the old days were.
Like?

So would you have wanted to live that restricted and ultra responsible a life?

Old 11-24-2018, 04:18 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,883,295 times
Quote:

How has dating got harder? People have always struggled to date, men and women both. And they've always struggled to meet someone who was a good match. There have always been incels; you just hear about them more, now, because of the internet. There have always been people who had an easy time of dating, too, though there was still the compatibility issue.

These are human challenges. They don't go away. The only difference "before" (whenever that was), was that people used to help out their single friends (or relatives) a little more than they do now, by setting them up, when possible. Nowadays, people say they hate set-ups, so apparently there are a lot of people (mostly men), who disagree with you. They don't want to go back to the days of being set up by friends, a well-meaning aunt or uncle, or their frat buddies.

Old 11-24-2018, 04:26 PM

2,258 posts, read 1,137,597 times
Quote:
Dating hasnt gotten harder, unless you changed for the worse within your time.

Its easier now because men that are incels have the internet to learn how to deal with women and change their misconceptions about what single women are really looking for. After that its just about how much of their behaviors are they willing to change, how much they believe will work.

If they arent willing to change to increase the appeal, they stay incels due to stubbornness.
Incels complaining after that are just childish whiners.

Old 11-24-2018, 05:05 PM

2,264 posts, read 1,484,235 times
Quote:
I largely agree and that was mostly what I had in mind. Everything is "controversial" today, there is no way I can imagine how we can talk about important or uncomfortable things without being shut down.
Right.

And the 'olden days' were some sort of freethinking paradise?

Try interracial dating a few decades years ago in many parts of the United States. Beyond the social disapprobation, in some places it was against the law. And aggressively prosecuted. Need I even mention how problematic it was to be gay and trying to find and maintain a relationship without being found out (and having your personal and professional life destroyed, to say nothing of the violence and legal risk)?

What's controversial today are things that damn well should have been controversial yesterday, but weren't. Sexual harassment. Discrimination. And what was controversial yesterday? Women wearing pants. Men with long hair. Birth control and social micromanagement of people's relationships (governments requiring prescriptions for condoms, cohabitation laws, etc.).

If you want to party like it's 1959, knock yourself out. There are others like you out there. But don't expect society en masse to happily jump into the time machine back to yesteryear, because society said goodbye to that era for a myriad of good reasons.

Old 11-24-2018, 05:25 PM

7,400 posts, read 6,369,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulsker 1856 View Post
Right.

And the 'olden days' were some sort of freethinking paradise?

Try interracial dating a few decades years ago in many parts of the United States. Beyond the social disapprobation, in some places it was against the law. And aggressively prosecuted. Need I even mention how problematic it was to be gay and trying to find and maintain a relationship without being found out (and having your personal and professional life destroyed, to say nothing of the violence and legal risk)?

What's controversial today are things that damn well should have been controversial yesterday, but weren't. Sexual harassment. Discrimination. And what was controversial yesterday? Women wearing pants. Men with long hair. Birth control and social micromanagement of people's relationships (governments requiring prescriptions for condoms, cohabitation laws, etc.).

If you want to party like it's 1959, knock yourself out. There are others like you out there. But don't expect society en masse to happily jump into the time machine back to yesteryear, because society said goodbye to that era for a myriad of good reasons.
Yes, this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships