Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2018, 07:17 AM

3,926 posts, read 2,033,417 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by buildings_and_bridges View Post
I might be able to, but it would be an adjustment. I love to read and I love music, so if we had those things in common, maybe it could work. But TV/movies are a big deal for me and my partner, and I almost can't imagine it another way. For example, he's turned me into a Trekkie, and we spend a good bit of our free time watching different series and movies and discussing them. I might miss having that sort of thing if I dated someone who didn't care about any of that.
This could spin off another thread, because I've noticed that some new partners has decided to join their partners in their hobbies that they would have otherwise NOT have done so when they were by themselves and they do it because they are just...into them pretty much.

Like I knew of a woman that didn't touch riding Harleys, but when she dated a guy that rode...she bought the accessories and rode on the rear seat. Vice versa with a man participating in a woman's hobbies that he even never gave it a thought to participate in...as this drive is only motivated BY the fact they they were (sorry to sound cheesy) smitten by them. lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2018, 07:36 AM

23,656 posts, read 13,964,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisTown123 View Post
So often I meet others that say they don't watch TV nor movies. Being that I grew up and had a passion for pop culture and discussing the recent Walking Dead or Game of Thrones episodes, could this prove incompatibility among partners?

I recall getting to know a woman that she said she could never sit still in a theater for 1-1/2 hours. I was like "Really? You can't sit still for that long?" She said something her being to high energy for that. And another that had said "Your movie references will be lost on me".

That basically any form of visual entertainment is off putting to some people.

Prove incompatible? It could.

Take me, I watch lots of TV and movies......the "problem" is that none of them are current such as the Walking Dead or Game of Thrones. No broadcast, no cable, no streaming, no Netflix. Everything I watch is canned, such as DVD or tape and often years in the past. As an example, I recently ordered the entire series of ...... Kojak with Telly.

So while I watch a massive form of visual entertainment, my form could be lost on a significant population.

Old 11-26-2018, 07:37 AM

4,050 posts, read 6,137,912 times
Quote:
This could spin off another thread, because I've noticed that some new partners has decided to join their partners in their hobbies that they would have otherwise NOT have done so when they were by themselves and they do it because they are just...into them pretty much.

Like I knew of a woman that didn't touch riding Harleys, but when she dated a guy that rode...she bought the accessories and rode on the rear seat. Vice versa with a man participating in a woman's hobbies that he even never gave it a thought to participate in...as this drive is only motivated BY the fact they they were (sorry to sound cheesy) smitten by them. lol.
Definitely! I never went to basketball games before him. It's not that I didn't like basketball, but I wasn't going to pay $ to see a game and no one I knew was that into it. I'm not sure he would go to drag shows without me. I also convinced him to watch My So-Called Life, which I don't imagine many guys enjoy, lol. And it would be a stretch to say he enjoyed it.

Old 11-26-2018, 07:52 AM

9,301 posts, read 8,342,342 times
I'm not that into television and movies, but it's not like I avoid them. I do listen to a lot of music, and if I watch a movie, I have to watch it with good sound. If I feel like the sound is rather weak, then I lose interest in the movie, unless I know it is supposed to sound that way.

A friend of mine is into television, but she is too much into celebrity gossip and obsesses over people like Cardi B. I like the work they do, but I'm too busy with my life to obsess over certain "celebrities".

I myself am middle of the road. I do enjoy a good movie or a television show. I'm not like "Pfft, TV and movies" like I'm so far above that. At the same time, I'm not a "movie-head".

I think one test compatibility is my humor. I often have meta "fourth-wall breaking" type of humor.

"How did you get here so fast?" (I am often asked this question)

"Editing." or something to that effect.

Other aspects of my humor include stunt doubles, theme music, etc.

If it goes over well, then I consider us compatible. Mind you, I don't always have that type of humor. There is also book-based humor, and other forms of humor that may fall under what I would call observational humor.

Consider me a more serious and physically smaller/weaker version of Deadpool.

Old 11-26-2018, 08:04 AM

61,647 posts, read 87,001,838 times
Quote:
So often I meet others that say they don't watch TV nor movies. Being that I grew up and had a passion for pop culture and discussing the recent Walking Dead or Game of Thrones episodes, could this prove incompatibility among partners?

I recall getting to know a woman that she said she could never sit still in a theater for 1-1/2 hours. I was like "Really? You can't sit still for that long?" She said something her being to high energy for that. And another that had said "Your movie references will be lost on me".

That basically any form of visual entertainment is off putting to some people.
If there were nothing otherwise "wrong" with that person - this wouldn't bother me. You don't need to have ALL identical interests or hobbies and do EVERYTHING together.
While one is watching TV the other can read book, play with computer, exercise, or set up a workshop in the garage or shed. That time spent apart is actually good for a mental health, assuming it would be just a couple of hours a day, not every single evening till after midnight.

Old 11-26-2018, 08:25 AM

8,923 posts, read 7,715,601 times
I don't watch TV. Usually Netflix and YouTube. I'll watch a movie every now and then.

Old 11-26-2018, 10:15 AM

23,170 posts, read 26,179,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auraliea View Post
I don't watch TV. Usually Netflix and YouTube. I'll watch a movie every now and then.
What's the difference between watching Netflix or TV and movies?
Isn't Netflix composed of content from the two?

Old 11-26-2018, 10:41 AM

4,050 posts, read 6,137,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
What's the difference between watching Netflix or TV and movies?
Isn't Netflix composed of content from the two?
Yeah, I get confused about this. I watch a lot of TV, but when I say that, I mean Netflix. I don't have cable.

Old 11-26-2018, 11:06 AM

3,926 posts, read 2,033,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buildings_and_bridges View Post
Yeah, I get confused about this. I watch a lot of TV, but when I say that, I mean Netflix. I don't have cable.
To me Netflix and TV are one in the same. So I think clarification is needed to find out what's what. If someone says they don't watch TV I had to take that with a grain of salt

Old 11-26-2018, 11:44 AM

23,170 posts, read 26,179,590 times
I'm glad I asked. Now I know to say No if asked if I want to do Netflix and chill.

Well, maybe Shark Tank
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships