Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2018, 08:29 PM

111 posts, read 68,721 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corvette Ministries View Post
Scenario:

Five male co-workers are enjoying lunch at a restaurant when one man is singled out ...
Well, if the woman is Charlize Theron, then dude would be proud amongst his "boys." If Sandra Bernhard, he'd be embarrased beyond belief, lol!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2018, 08:35 PM

2,771 posts, read 2,303,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Resourcer View Post
Well, if the woman is Charlize Theron, then dude would be proud amongst his "boys." If Sandra Bernhard, he'd be embarrased beyond belief, lol!!!
You'd think, but the co-worker turned down the drink on the basis that his friends were left out but more importantly, that he is married and didn't want to lead on this stranger.

Old 11-27-2018, 08:37 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,944,601 times
Quote:

The co-worker turned down the drink on the basis that her friends were left out but more importantly, that she is married and didn't want to lead on this stranger. End of story.
The line about her friends being left out is just a smokescreen. It would be presumptuous for anyone to suggest that a guy should buy drinks for the whole table.

Old 11-27-2018, 09:20 PM

9,301 posts, read 8,347,687 times
Quote:
Scenario:

Five male co-workers are enjoying lunch at a restaurant when one man is singled out ...
A lot of competition and jealousy/envy. I've been there. I was the man singled out.

Old 11-27-2018, 09:56 PM

111 posts, read 68,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJenkins602 View Post
A lot of competition and jealousy/envy. I've been there. I was the man singled out.
Wait. Your guy friends were jealous over a woman's attention to you? I thought men didn't get jealous, except if their bud is financially superior to them, lol!!!

Old 11-28-2018, 04:28 AM

2,771 posts, read 2,303,872 times
Quote:
Wait. Your guy friends were jealous over a woman's attention to you? I thought men didn't get jealous, except if their bud is financially superior to them, lol!!!
Two words.

Charlize Theron.

Old 11-28-2018, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Men are every bit as catty.

In fact, every time a woman gives me attention, a guy tries to pick a fight with me.

That was literally the last time I went with (some of) my guy friends. Others were okay

Old 11-28-2018, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Two words.

Charlize Theron.
You give me too much credit

But then I could see Charlize Theron taking some kind of interest in me, but nothing romantic.

Old 11-28-2018, 10:31 AM

20,390 posts, read 14,661,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJenkins602 View Post
Men are every bit as catty.

In fact, every time a woman gives me attention, a guy tries to pick a fight with me.

That was literally the last time I went with (some of) my guy friends. Others were okay
See this, I would expect to lead to congratulatory back slapping and possibly inappropriate suggestions on him getting some action later. Like I wouldn't believe in a million years that FRIENDS would be crummy to each other because one of them got some flirty attention. Ever. That is so weird to me. Like some friends, do y'all even like each other?

Quote:
Hallouise:

The incident happened at Jones at 7th and Chestnut Sts. in Philly.

The co-worker turned down the drink on the basis that her friends were left out but more importantly, that she is married and didn't want to lead on this stranger. End of story.

I have to show "T" your responses. Very enlightening!
Yeah I very strongly object to the notion that a man who buys a woman anything is entitled to anything in return for it. If I'm sitting somewhere (hypothetically, if I were an alcohol drinker, that is) and a guy sends a drink over to me, about the only reward I figure I owe that guy is a smile and a "Thank you!" If you're a dude and you're sending drinks over to strange women in public, you're rolling your dice since you have no idea if she is married, taken, lesbian, anything at all. You've got no way of knowing if she's available or would be interested. So you have no one to blame but yourself if you waste your money on a gamble that doesn't pay off.

Also, if that's your mentality, that a woman accepting the drink means she will date you or something, then pff...yeah, we're not a match anyways to put it simply. Really anyone who gives a gift of any kind with strings attached, is a jerk. That's just a bigger philosophical feeling I have about the whole thing.

I think it's wacky as hell to say that you're turning down something so that people around you won't feel jealous or left out, the thing about the geese is apt and also that's how I'd expect little kids to be expected to see it, not adults. I suspect it was just an excuse on her part because she didn't want to accept the drink from the guy and was reaching for a reason, to make it polite.

It doesn't really matter though, what her reason was, if she just didn't want to accept the drink. It also would not matter if she were unmarried. She really doesn't owe anyone an explanation. She could just say "no, thanks" and that's ok too.

Old 11-28-2018, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
See this, I would expect to lead to congratulatory back slapping and possibly inappropriate suggestions on him getting some action later. Like I wouldn't believe in a million years that FRIENDS would be crummy to each other because one of them got some flirty attention. Ever. That is so weird to me. Like some friends, do y'all even like each other?

Yeah I very strongly object to the notion that a man who buys a woman anything is entitled to anything in return for it. If I'm sitting somewhere (hypothetically, if I were an alcohol drinker, that is) and a guy sends a drink over to me, about the only reward I figure I owe that guy is a smile and a "Thank you!" If you're a dude and you're sending drinks over to strange women in public, you're rolling your dice since you have no idea if she is married, taken, lesbian, anything at all. You've got no way of knowing if she's available or would be interested. So you have no one to blame but yourself if you waste your money on a gamble that doesn't pay off.

Also, if that's your mentality, that a woman accepting the drink means she will date you or something, then pff...yeah, we're not a match anyways to put it simply. Really anyone who gives a gift of any kind with strings attached, is a jerk. That's just a bigger philosophical feeling I have about the whole thing.

I think it's wacky as hell to say that you're turning down something so that people around you won't feel jealous or left out, the thing about the geese is apt and also that's how I'd expect little kids to be expected to see it, not adults. I suspect it was just an excuse on her part because she didn't want to accept the drink from the guy and was reaching for a reason, to make it polite.

It doesn't really matter though, what her reason was, if she just didn't want to accept the drink. It also would not matter if she were unmarried. She really doesn't owe anyone an explanation. She could just say "no, thanks" and that's ok too.
You're right about FRIENDS. As I said, that was the last time I went with (some of)them. Those were the crummy ones that I dropped because they turned out not to be friends.

I agree with every last word you said in this post.

But I got stories from other (male) friends who had their (male) "friends" shade them because of some extra attention they were getting from a certain woman/women.

Not everyone who says they are your friends are your friends. Even if they make it a point to "be your friend", they're not all going to have the same motives. They might've seen something in you, or was looking to use you in some way. And then they might even have some of their own issues to work through.

One thing I've learn from dealing with people and doing some research is that there are some people who will smile in your face, but not want anything good to happen for you. A lot of people secretly do not want you to succeed, but that is another topic right there.

But if you look at my life, it breaks every stereotype. You (general you, not you specifically) tell me something is true, and I will point to examples in my life that refute it. Oh, and guess what, people may write me off as crazy (hell, I write myself off as crazy), but later on, they come back to me saying that everything I said was right on. I've even had things point out weird things to me in my life.

Last edited by TJenkins602; 11-28-2018 at 10:43 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships