Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2018, 02:56 AM

15,013 posts, read 21,663,909 times

Advertisements

I never understand how someone's fear of rejection can be greater than their desire for someone. To me, if their fear of rejection overrides their desire for the person, then they don't want that person bad enough. I mean, desire does go along a sliding scale. There are degrees/levels of of desire and if you don't want someone that bad, then you're not going to take any risks for them. If you do want someone badly, then the risks will be worth it. I just think about stories I hear from people about being sooooo in love with some person they knew (maybe a friend?) yet they never told them. Then they lament for months, years or sometimes decades about how they missed out and how sad they are. I think that's bull. You weren't that much in love. If you were, your desire would have consumed you and you would have walked out on that ledge to have what you wanted. I have done such things myself. I just don't understand such cowardice and passiveness. And it is everywhere.

Old 12-02-2018, 03:15 AM

399 posts, read 221,204 times
I think approach anxiety stems from the knowledge that you aren't confident speaking to strangers.

I can't really relate to what you described though.

Old 12-02-2018, 03:36 AM

2,483 posts, read 2,476,969 times
I disagree.

I know I'm weirder than most, but sometimes it can be very paralyzing. I can't really explain it.

And it's not just restricted to 'approaching'; speaking up during meetings, attending social gathering after work, or networking can all bring out a fear of not wanting to look or say something stupid that is so overriding that you just don't bother and later beat yourself up over it.

Old 12-02-2018, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by picardlx View Post
I disagree.

I know I'm weirder than most, but sometimes it can be very paralyzing. I can't really explain it.

And it's not just restricted to 'approaching'; speaking up during meetings, attending social gathering after work, or networking can all bring out a fear of not wanting to look or say something stupid that is so overriding that you just don't bother and later beat yourself up over it.
I have heard of this. I guess I don't understand it. Social anxiety and the like. My question is, doesn't this effect you adversely in many parts of your life where you may need to assert yourself?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bravesrule384 View Post
@ srjth - at this point in my life, I'd like to put a gun to my head then I wouldn't have to worry about, someone liking me (or not) liking me.

Wouldn't have to worry about that, at all.
I think you need help too. Please try to speak to someone, hopefully a professional, about this. You have a lot to live for.

Old 12-02-2018, 08:20 AM

2,822 posts, read 1,930,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by srjth View Post
I never understand how someone's fear of rejection can be greater than their desire for someone. To me, if their fear of rejection overrides their desire for the person, then they don't want that person bad enough.
There's this old saying that goes something like ''Humans will do more to avoid pain than they will to gain pleasure''.

Old 12-02-2018, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runninglikethieves View Post
There's this old saying that goes something like ''Humans will do more to avoid pain than they will to gain pleasure''.

That sounds about right but if that were true, why the variation in humans. Why do some do it and others don't?

Old 12-02-2018, 08:30 AM

2,822 posts, read 1,930,133 times
Quote:
That sounds about right but if that were true, why the variation in humans. Why do some do it and others don't?
Because some people will try to persevere through it and not let it be a deterrent.

Old 12-02-2018, 08:57 AM

133 posts, read 75,466 times
Quote:
I have heard of this. I guess I don't understand it. Social anxiety and the like. My question is, doesn't this effect you adversely in many parts of your life where you may need to assert yourself?

I think you need help too. Please try to speak to someone, hopefully a professional, about this. You have a lot to live for.
@ srjth - actually, no I don't. I wished I did tho however.......there are quite a few things that make me tired of living, anymore. Not just about my life, in general but in today's society as a whole. The lack of compassion, is a real biggie.

Old 12-02-2018, 09:19 AM

378 posts, read 230,414 times
It could be a self-esteem issue along with anxiety. You want to be with this guy or girl, but don't think you're worth their time or doubt they're into you.

Old 12-02-2018, 09:34 AM

8,923 posts, read 7,725,991 times
It's as simple as the benefits not outweighing the costs. Some people are just way too sensitive and don't bounce back like others do when it comes to relationships. Which is fine. Let's keep it real, many relationships don't last and many don't always end well. Many people have been destroyed by it, while others may have gained a lot from it.

Some people may see it as pointless if it doesn't last forever, and sometimes the heartache is way too much to bear. So it's not always about fear, humans have adapted to learn to avoid what causes them great pain. Some people are just wired differently. We also like to preach about how wonderful love is between two people and it is for a time. However if we're realistic people are not perfect and screw up A LOT. Sometimes in devastating ways. Some people may have seen that and decided they don't want to risk it.

There are people who love once and that is it, there are others who love many and continue to fall in love, and there are those who don't at all. There is nothing wrong with either scenario. I don't think any of us are in place to judge how people choose to go about as they are not our lives or our feelings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships