Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2018, 11:53 AM

49,932 posts, read 59,935,627 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillennialUrbanist View Post
I beg to differ.

In my experience, therapists live in an idealized dream world, where everybody is nice and kind to each other, and pink bunnies and unicorns scurry about in a grassy meadow. When you try to point out that not everything is so hunky-dory, they refuse to believe you, or worse, accuse you of being "resistant". Because being "resistant" is doubleplusungood. It's really no different (albeit much milder) than the USSR under Stalin, where people got committed to psychiatric wards for "unpatriotic beliefs". Of course, it's easy to live in a dream world when you're paid $100+ an hour to gaslight a vulnerable client. Just as it's easy to love Big Brother when you're in the Inner Party.

My advice to the OP is to stay far away from therapists, and instead read some good psychology books. Not the self-help fodder the pop culture peddles to people, but something you'd find in the American Psychological Association (APA) journal. Perhaps a local university library open to the public might have a book in that category. Amazon, not so much.
You forgot the disclaimer that your only experience with therapy occurred when you were 9 years old.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2018, 11:55 AM

5,820 posts, read 3,875,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post
You forgot the disclaimer that your only experience with therapy occurred when you were 9 years old.
And again, long-term, when I was 15 or 16. This time, I was able to manipulate the shrink: I'd bring my psychology class homework to the session and ask her for help. I was good at the class, but I did it to keep her off my back about my "feeeeelings". In the end, I succeeded, and she got to feel like she accomplished something, by helping a kid with his homework.

And still again, as an adult; only the last time, I quit after two sessions, finding them to be waste of time and money.

Old 12-01-2018, 11:55 AM

157 posts, read 89,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grace21 View Post
I used the word tired and burned out because I hate going out at night, dancing, because I feel like its not me. My friends enjoy the time going out more than I do. I just sit down on my phone, with my drink and food while they're chatting with with other guys, their SO's, and such.

Surely there's other kinds of social gatherings you can go to. Personally I hate bar hopping and clubbing, you're not the only one.

Old 12-01-2018, 11:59 AM

Quote:
And again, long-term, when I was 15 or 16. And still again, as an adult; only the last time, I quit after two sessions.
This OP has a chance to avoid the kind of stunted lifestyle you’ve chosen.

Please don’t hijack yet another thread with your own personal prejudices.

Old 12-01-2018, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by illumined View Post
Surely there's other kinds of social gatherings you can go to. Personally I hate bar hopping and clubbing, you're not the only one.
Exactly.

The phase of life you’re in, OP, is a time for learning about yourself and what kinds of things you prefer doing.

It can be lonely until you find your tribe.

Old 12-01-2018, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post
This OP has a chance to avoid the kind of stunted lifestyle you’ve chosen.

Please don’t hijack yet another thread with your own personal prejudices.
I try to help a person avoid an industry filled with unhelpful quacks, this is the thanks I get. I rest my case!

Old 12-01-2018, 12:12 PM

Quote:
I try to help a person avoid an industry filled with unhelpful quacks, this is the thanks I get. I rest my case!
Your “case” speaks for itself every time you post here.

I have a feeling the OP will agree with you, only because some people, as you well know, are only comfortable when they are “safely” stuck in the midst of the dysfunction with which they are most familiar. ANY attempts to leave that comfort zone feel too difficult, and they freak out and resort to even unhealthy measures to avoid that change.

Old 12-01-2018, 12:12 PM

29,744 posts, read 34,383,370 times
Quote:
Your experience with therapy is not the only experience with therapy. It's dismissive of the advice of the many, many people on this board who have found therapy to be crucially important to their quality of life.

So, what is your advice to the OP, then?

Old 12-01-2018, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
So, what is your advice to the OP, then?
I posted it on the last page: read some good psychology books. Not pop-culture self-help, but something the American Psychological Association would endorse. Most university libraries or scholarly databases should have these texts.

Therapy requires a lot of blind faith and suspension of disbelief. I'm offering a more rational, pragmatic alternative.

Old 12-01-2018, 01:38 PM

39 posts, read 21,366 times
I'm going to take one of the suggestions about the psychology books. I'm definitely going to search for some at the library at my school. This is one option I've never tried. But honestly, I still think I'm going to officially remove myself from guys. No dating, relationships, sex, or anything of that sort. Most guys are not into me like that. Yeah, I've had some stare at me and never approach but I don't know what their true intentions are for watching me. I'll be supportive and nice with my friends relationships though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships