Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2018, 02:46 AM

42 posts, read 20,178 times

Advertisements

So I got her a gift and wanted to write her a card since we broke up about a week and a half ago. I figure this will be the last time and I will be moving on at this point I will spare you the details, but She broke up with me and we had our fights, she went home and got convinced by her guy friends to break up with me. We been together for about 3 months. Class was doing secret santa, we both joined in late, I didn't want to be left out and we got each other. This is what I wrote. I am a guy she is a girl.

Dear ex,

These past couple of weeks have been hard on the both of us. This didn’t end the way I wanted, but despite all the stuff that happened between us I just want you to know that I care about you and that I am sorry. I know school is stressful and I may have acted or said things that I did not necessarily mean. No one is perfect and is part of the growing process. All you can do is improve and be better than before. I don’t think I ever said this, but I appreciated all the things you did for me throughout our relationship like making me food, helping me in class, making the drive to my apartment, being emotionally supportive, letting me use your calendar, driving me home, and a number of other things…. thank you. Despite everything that happened, in the end, I just want you to be happy. I want us to get through this program together and become successful in our respective fields. Enjoy the gifts and your much deserved Christmas break. I wish you the best. This will be the last sap from me.

Sincerely,
me

As an ex how would you feel receiving that? I think it is cathartic for me since it is like my final goodbye.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2018, 05:34 AM

12,585 posts, read 16,952,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtothis15 View Post
So I got her a gift and wanted to write her a card since we broke up about a week and a half ago. I figure this will be the last time and I will be moving on at this point I will spare you the details, but She broke up with me and we had our fights, she went home and got convinced by her guy friends to break up with me. We been together for about 3 months. Class was doing secret santa, we both joined in late, I didn't want to be left out and we got each other. This is what I wrote. I am a guy she is a girl.

Dear ex,

These past couple of weeks have been hard on the both of us. This didn’t end the way I wanted, but despite all the stuff that happened between us I just want you to know that I care about you and that I am sorry. I know school is stressful and I may have acted or said things that I did not necessarily mean. No one is perfect and is part of the growing process. All you can do is improve and be better than before. I don’t think I ever said this, but I appreciated all the things you did for me throughout our relationship like making me food, helping me in class, making the drive to my apartment, being emotionally supportive, letting me use your calendar, driving me home, and a number of other things…. thank you. Despite everything that happened, in the end, I just want you to be happy. I want us to get through this program together and become successful in our respective fields. Enjoy the gifts and your much deserved Christmas break. I wish you the best. This will be the last sap from me.

Sincerely,
me

As an ex how would you feel receiving that? I think it is cathartic for me since it is like my final goodbye.
Dude!

Throw the letter away, return the gift and move on with your life.

Keep your dignity.

I saw a pathetic guy who is only making a fool out of himself.

Just trying to help.

Old 12-02-2018, 05:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by funymann View Post
Dude!

Throw the letter away, return the gift and move on with your life.

Keep your dignity.

I saw a pathetic guy who is only making a fool out of himself.

Just trying to help.
Since we came late to the secret santa thing, we agreed to get each other gifts since everyone else has been assigned already this was what the person who created the santa thing said. Which is the main reason why I am doing this. I didn't just get her gifts out of the blue. you really think so? it has only been a couple of weeks. I remember from my past relationship I completely turned cold turkey and it was really hard cause there wasn't really any closure, but I respect your opinion. What do others think?

Old 12-02-2018, 05:49 AM

1,702 posts, read 2,324,299 times
First off, WHY did she break up with you?

Were you to blame?

Old 12-02-2018, 05:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by behindthescreen View Post
First off, WHY did she break up with you?

Were you to blame?
It was joint effort. Just placed under stressful conditions with school, seeing each other in class all day etc (things will change next semester because we have different classes. Putting school aside we had no issues at all outside of school. I remember when we first got together was that she said she doesn't like how people give up on relationships easily.. I am type B she is type A. Comments were said from both sides that hurt each others feelings. I chalked it up as normal couples fighting.The real kicker was when she went back home for break and her guy friends convinced her to break it up. A lot of things factored in was that we didn't have much in common (idk if that is true, it takes a certain personality to be in this program and we have same goals) one thing was we have different personalities, but my thinking is you can't have two type A people who are highly opinionated and not afraid to voice it be together lol, she should focus on school (we are focusing on school together lol, not like we are trying to slack off), we were fighting a lot (we weren't fighting at all before, these past couple of weeks have been super stressful lots of assignments, lots of gossip about us, scared to flunk out etc..), and she said didn't want to invest all this time in the relationship and when we graduate what happens after? I said that is a far away. You never know what happens

In the end, I just accepted it. We agreed to be friends and we still talk to each other, just on different terms now. trying to keep it cordial and friendly with each other. This letter is more like closure for me.

Last edited by newtothis15; 12-02-2018 at 06:09 AM..

Old 12-02-2018, 06:05 AM

12,585 posts, read 16,952,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtothis15 View Post
It was joint effort. Just placed under stressful conditions with school, seeing each other in class all day etc... I am type B she is type A. Comments were said from both sides that hurt each others feelings. I chalked it up as normal couples fighting.The real kicker was when she went back home for break and her guy friends convinced her to break it up. We agreed to be friends and we still talk to each other, just on different terms now. trying to keep it cordial and friendly.
The guy friends only know what she told them. Obviously it wasnt good.

Just give the gift and leave out the card.

Old 12-02-2018, 06:09 AM

603 posts, read 445,480 times
I don't see any harm in the card. Just leave out the last line.

Old 12-02-2018, 06:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EIL9 View Post
I don't see any harm in the card. Just leave out the last line.
I figure the last line is I won't ever speak on this subject again. You think it is better to leave it out? If you received that from your ex what is your thought process?

Old 12-02-2018, 06:18 AM

1,702 posts, read 2,324,299 times
NO to letter and no expensive gift.

If it were me, I would give a gift card and scribble my name.

The letter shows weakness and desperation. It will only turn her off more if you ever want to get back with her.

Old 12-02-2018, 06:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by behindthescreen View Post
NO to letter and no expensive gift.

If it were me, I would give a gift card and scribble my name.

The letter shows weakness and desperation. It will only turn her off more if you ever want to get back with her.
Hmm, did not buy her expensive gift. Would like some other opinions on the letter thing before I decide on what to do.

Last edited by newtothis15; 12-02-2018 at 06:37 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships