Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2018, 12:55 PM

4,512 posts, read 5,054,158 times

Advertisements

Being that he's the ONLY guy out there, you better grab him, warts and all !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2018, 01:04 PM

8,779 posts, read 9,452,560 times
If you are doubting this guy this much it’s not a wonder he’s worried your constantly looking elsewhere and having feelings of future dread towards you.

I can’t pretend to know everything going on in this situation to make some almighty determination of judgement for you, but I can say that if you’re doubting things often enough that you have to ask this type of question you’re in no position to making these types of choices right now.

Old 12-24-2018, 12:06 AM

4 posts, read 1,627 times
I tried talking to him. I explained I’m anxious about his finances if we live together. I asked him where he stood now and he said he was current with his bills. I asked how much was owed on his cards and he didn’t tell me the real amount totally. He said a few hundred on each of his 2 cards but I know that it’s 600 (due next week plus another few hundred in current charges)on one and 390 on the other for a total of $1200.

I told him I know he’s anxious about how my daughter feels about him and I would talk to her so we can get together on holiday.

Before he left he said you know there’s an expiration date for us to live together and marry since we are getting close to 70. I’m 61 and he is 66. Reality is I’ve waited over 5 years for him to get his finances in order so we can live together.

Do I give up?

Last edited by Uncertaintyforfuture; 12-24-2018 at 12:22 AM..

Old 12-24-2018, 12:15 AM

I also learned that he voluntarily went to work a few hours later since he preferred to do that the morning after he spent the night with me during the week. So he didn’t get paid for those hours who does that when money is tight to begin with??

Old 12-24-2018, 02:41 AM

1,702 posts, read 2,324,299 times
Nope doesn't sound like a winner to me.

Old 12-24-2018, 07:05 AM

4,088 posts, read 2,562,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncertaintyforfuture View Post
I tried talking to him. I explained I’m anxious about his finances if we live together. I asked him where he stood now and he said he was current with his bills. I asked how much was owed on his cards and he didn’t tell me the real amount totally. He said a few hundred on each of his 2 cards but I know that it’s 600 (due next week plus another few hundred in current charges)on one and 390 on the other for a total of $1200.

I told him I know he’s anxious about how my daughter feels about him and I would talk to her so we can get together on holiday.

Before he left he said you know there’s an expiration date for us to live together and marry since we are getting close to 70. I’m 61 and he is 66. Reality is I’ve waited over 5 years for him to get his finances in order so we can live together.

Do I give up?
Keep him in his own house/place; you keep yours. Do. Not. Marry. This. Man. Period. After five years, I seriously doubt if this man will cut you loose. My guess is that he'll just keep lobbying for marriage/shacking up for as long as you'll continue to put up with his constant nagging.

He is dishonest with you and is pushing you to do something that you do not wish to do. There is no "expiration date" to marry or co-habitate--at least until one or both of you actually "expire," i.e., die. If you will not trust your instincts, trust those of your daughter. (Your boyfriend *should* be anxious as a woman's intuition is a powerful thing even if you seem unable to trust your own gut feelings.)

The fact that you've waited five years for this man to get his act together tells me more about you and your mindset than it does about him. Stop wasting time with a man who is unlikely to change.

Old 12-24-2018, 07:19 AM

4,717 posts, read 3,268,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Formerly Known As Twenty View Post
Keep him in his own house/place; you keep yours. Do. Not. Marry. This. Man. Period.
This. My first marriage was to a guy who was financially irresponsible and it was a disaster on many fronts. You can keep the finances separate but when an emergency comes up YOU are the "emergency fund" because he doesn't have any money. And if the relationship sours, how are you going to get him out?

As for being "current" on bills- it sounds like "current", to him, means he's been making minimum payments on time. I wouldn't be surprised if the actual amount he owes is pretty ugly and he may not have added it up himself.

I'm 65, financially secure, and VERY wary of financial entanglements with men at this point. Friendship, doing things together, being there for each other- fine. Cohabitation- very unlikely unless he's as loaded as I am and we're really crazy about each other. Marriage- 99 and 4/100% chance I'll be single the rest of my life and I'm fine with that.

Old 12-24-2018, 07:21 AM

8,590 posts, read 12,347,410 times
Given your ages I would not recommend marriage to this man. It could impact your financial future as he is old enough to be retired and not earn more to pay off his debts. Once married you can be held responsible for his debts (depends on the state).

I'm guessing your daughter is probably more concerned with your financial future as you are also probably close to retirement.

Is his financial situation the primary reason for your reluctance or are there other reasons? If it's primarily finances, move him in if you want to do so, but keep the finances separate.

Old 12-26-2018, 06:38 PM

My bf bought some holiday gifts because I told him last month I thought we could have dinner and do gifts. But I told my bf he shouldn’t buy gifts for my kids and is put his name with mine on their gifts since he did the same for the gifts he gave his kids.

As it turns out my daughter wasn’t acting herself when she arrived for the holiday and when I tried to let her know that my bf may be coming over she wanted no part of it. I told him not to come over because I didn’t want a confrontation.

He was very hurt understandably and told me next time he should come over anyway and if she wanted to stay in her room so be it.

Since I only see her a few times a year how do I get her to at least tolerate him?

Old 12-26-2018, 07:07 PM

3,647 posts, read 1,601,831 times
Why does she have to tolerate someone/anyone? Keep them apart.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships