Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-22-2018, 10:55 AM

3,926 posts, read 2,035,856 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newdixiegirl View Post
I think that's a very worthwhile thought.
Quote:
Maybe if men were, by and large, more giving and brought more to the table in a relationship, that could be different.
Couldn't find the quote to quote Sonic, but that's quite the generalization that you draw about men. Didn't see that coming from you, Sonic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2018, 11:12 AM

67 posts, read 34,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisTown123 View Post
Couldn't find the quote to quote Sonic, but that's quite the generalization that you draw about men. Didn't see that coming from you, Sonic.
Couldn't rep you again.

Old 12-22-2018, 11:25 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,676,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RbccL View Post
You didn’t know about Government Jobs for Wimmenz? Well no, I suppose not, you’re a man, you gotta make it on your own. You’ll never hear about Government Jobs for Menz. You guys can’t even plan a secret meeting.
Presidency- all men
Current male governors - 5
Current male senators - 77
Women in the US House of Representatives next year ~126/435 - yeah, Goverment Jobs for Wimmenz right there...

Old 12-22-2018, 11:25 AM

14,530 posts, read 20,124,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisTown123 View Post
Yeah, it's interesting to see in the posts here, using their co-workers as an example...of how saturated the population is of unattached men vs. attached women.
Let's think this out. While the gender statistics vary with age (slightly more male babies, but women tend to live longer than men) it seems to me that the number of men and women at any age are roughly equivalent, with geographic differences of course.

Last time I looked a marriage takes one man and one woman (except in the heavily LDS area in AZ north of Grand Canyon) so it appears to me that at any age an equal percentage of that cohort is out of circulation.

What we end up at any age and gender is that there are approximately a similar number of people of the opposite gender available for dating. Obviously your assumption bolded above is incorrect. The only thing that could affect that are geographic variance and the percentage of each gender in that cohort are actually interested in the other gender.

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Use your noggin. Think about what you just said. Process. Then come back. What have you determined about this statement?
I think you and I are pretty much in agreement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LivingDeadGirl View Post
It was a natural progression, from being classically trained in ballet, middle-eastern bellydancer (taught and performed for 25+ years). I needed to make money and decided to do it, after some friends suggested I'd make a fortune - I am so grateful I took their suggestion seriously. Those 10 yrs as a stripper were the best years of my life.
That makes sense. There is no shame in being a belly dancer and cashing in on your youth and good looks, I'm sure it's hard work, you make a lot of money and can retire young or start a new occupation with a nice bank roll.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
I know, you would think guys had no free will, and women were all-powerful magical beings. Women get rejected, dumped, cheated on, abused, etc. I get so tired of men thinking women wield all this power in relationships and men are at their mercy.
I've always felt that for every benefit or liability of being either gender has about the same balance irrespective of gender. I'm sure everybody gets rejected. I've rejected several women this year, some of which may have wanted to continue dating. I can't help it if they don't turn me on, nor help if I don't turn them on. Rejection is part of dating.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJenkins602 View Post
Well, the narrative being pushed is that men are desperate for a woman...ANY woman. But with the "lost" women I've been seeing lately, I think a larger amount of people are missing out than is commonly believed.
I think that sounds like an opinion since you're just discussing your internal feelings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scribbles76 View Post
This is precisely why I don't and won't do it. The unbidden end of a romantic relationship is one of the most traumatic thing a person can go through, and I've seen nothing to convince me it's worth that amount of pain.
1.) No that is not the most traumatic person can go trough. My best guess is the worst thing is a parent losing their child.

2.) If the anticipated pain keeps you from forming relationships then I feel sorry for you. There's the saying, "Better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all."

3.) I feel sorry for anybody who will never experience a loving male-female relationship.

Old 12-22-2018, 11:32 AM

10,341 posts, read 5,866,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slap to my face View Post
Don't worry I won't be.
wut

Old 12-22-2018, 12:00 PM

9,301 posts, read 8,347,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyphorx View Post

You do know a day has 24 hours right? what were you doing with that other 14 hours? most likely something you valued more.

Yeah, like sleep, taking care of house, cleaning, exercise.

Old 12-22-2018, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyphorx View Post
I have a friend who I've known since the 6th grade, he is a textbook case of a type A personality, since adulthood he has always had either 2 full-time jobs or at lease 1 full-time and a couple of side hustles(legal ones). I grew up in forest hills(middleclass) he grew up on the south side of Ft.worth(the hood). Anyway like me he want's a long term relationship but we have the opposite problem. we noticed this after he divorced wife #3 his complaint was that every relationship he got into the woman wanted to monopolize too much of his time, his ideal relationship would be to have a woman to hang out with on the one of his days off and the rest of the week he works and hangs out with friends and family after work(he has a lot of family in the area and social networks) . Anyway one day he told me "cupid must be cross-eyed cause we keep ending up with girlfriends meant for the other", I knew what he meant because when he would complain about who ever he was dating blowing up his phone all day or wanting to be "all up under him" I would be thinking "why can't I find that and why is it going to someone who does not recognize such a blessing(I was not an atheist yet at that time)" and at the time I was attracting workaholics or too busy women and when I complained about it I'm sure he was thinking the same thing(that I hit the gold mine and didn't know it), Anyway a friend and coworker said the reason I was attracting career women was because I was smart enough to hold their interest but because I didn't have a lot going on in my life they knew that when an opening would pop up in their scheduled odd's are I'd be available where as someone like my friend it would be a gamble on whether they would ever have a full day off at the same time. where as he was attracting women who simply saw him as a step up and wanted to lock him down before someone else put a ring on it.
Find something to be passionate about and take over your time. You're just going to have to accept your life as is and pursue something else for your fulfillment. Finding a relationship is only worth a small amount of emotional investment. If you're hung up and obsessed with finding a relationship, somehow that obsession is going to show through and then you'll somehow scare many women away, especially if you come off as clingy.

Women tend to go for men who may not necessarily have their together, but are going places. Women tend to want men who are taking care of themselves and are at least okay with being single. One thing that can work against you is looking for someone to "complete" you.

And what you described happens a lot. I am both you and your friend. I wanted someone to spend a large chunk of my time with, it escaped me. Now, I have other things that I am pursuing and I'm often having people trying to get my attention. And I have a couple of women who I am talking to. Now, I didn't pursue, they pursued me and I finally said..."ok" let's give it a shot.

Old 12-22-2018, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by srjth View Post
I do think there are just as many lonely females as there are lonely males. I really do. I know there are. I just think that lonely males gather more on the internet to complain about it, because they have less of a support system to vent to in real life.
And I am running into them...

...Next year is going to be quite exhausting...

Old 12-22-2018, 12:32 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,124,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJenkins602 View Post
...Next year is going to be quite exhausting...
That's a great attitude to face a new year with.

Have you ever heard of the power of positive thinking? I'm going to have met the love of my life by the end of 2019, and the two of us having returned from a vacation in Europe by then. Or maybe a cruise.

Maybe you and I will both be disappointed at the end of the year, but at least I will have enjoyed thinking about my future while you are lamenting or fretting about yours.

There is some support in psychology that actively thinking about your goals improves your chances of attaining them. Be proactive about your life or otherwise be happy/unhappy with what you are dealt.

Old 12-22-2018, 02:51 PM

8,923 posts, read 7,721,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post

1.) No that is not the most traumatic person can go trough. My best guess is the worst thing is a parent losing their child.

2.) If the anticipated pain keeps you from forming relationships then I feel sorry for you. There's the saying, "Better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all."

3.) I feel sorry for anybody who will never experience a loving male-female relationship.
1. Different people are wired differently. To you a parent losing a child is the most traumatic thing a person can go through, to him it's losing a romantic partner (that can actually cause a parent lose a child and vice versa if you really think about it.) To someone else rape may be the most traumatic thing someone can go through. Let's not compare hard life experiences. Too many variables.

2. Human beings are wired to learn to avoid pain. If someone doesn't want to experience that and the benefit of a good relationship does not outweigh that pain to them and they're perfectly happy, no need for pity. I think that phrase is out dated and only applies to some people. Not all. It doesn't align with reality, at least not all the time. It's highly perceptual.

3. What if that person is actually happy with their lives? Let's not act like even the most loving relationships are rays of sunshine all the time. There are many ups and downs, even in a good relationship. Some people don't want to deal with that at all, regardless of the good moments. And they're very happy. Some don't miss what they never had.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships